DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Netflix Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/547376-netflix-question.html)

Patrick G 01-08-09 08:15 AM

Netflix Question

I rent 2 or 3 DVDs (usually on street date) every Tuesday at my local video store. They have 7-day rentals for $4 each, so I pick them up every Tuesday when released, and return them the following Tuesday. So, I'm spending between $30 and $50 per month on movie rentals. I usually only watch movies on Fri, Sat, Sun.

My question is, given the fact that I want about 3 movies at a time, every weekend, and usually only the newest releases (on street date week), would Netflix be a good fit for me?

j123vt_99 01-08-09 08:45 AM

Re: Netflix Question

yes.. because isn;'t a netflix acct like $15 a month

Patrick G 01-08-09 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99 (Post 9183060)
yes.. because isn;'t a netflix acct like $15 a month

Thanks, but cost is really my least concern. I need to be sure I am able to get 2 or 3 DVDs each weekend the week they street.

Chew 01-08-09 08:47 AM

In order to have the best chance to get new releases the day they come out, you need to have your queue empty on Monday morning (if you don't get them release week, sometimes it can be a long wait). Which means, movies have to be mailed back no later than Saturday (possibly Friday, depending on where your center is located).

If you have to watch new releases the weekend after they come out, I'd say it might not work the best for your situation.

Patrick G 01-08-09 08:49 AM

Yeah, it sounds like it won't be a good fit given that the DVDs need to be sent back on Saturday at the latest.

Larry C. 01-08-09 08:50 AM

Yes... $50 bucks is a lot compared to $17. Now if you are active in your movie queue you should get movies quickly. Once I place a dvd in the mail or queue and it is available I have the next one in 2 days. But this could vary depending on location. Well worth your extra savings.

emptysky 01-08-09 08:51 AM

New releases often have a longer wait than other movies on Netflix, and sometimes I don't get them even if they're at the top of my queue... if you absolutely must see new releases as soon as they come out, Netflix probably won't give you what you need.

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 01-08-09 09:06 AM

agree with what others said. if you MUST have 2-3 dvds on street week, then netflix isn't the way to go.

JakeNeff 01-08-09 09:35 AM

Assuming you have a Blockbuster nearby, I think your best bet would be Blockbuster Total Access - 3 DVDs At-A-Time with unlimited in-store exchanges. $34.99

I everyone seems to think Netflix is the best thing since sliced bread, but I have Blockbuster Total Access with limited in-store exchanges and am very happy with it. The largest benefit is after they mail you a disc you can trade it in for any movie rental (including new releases and/or Blu-Ray). There is no rental charge, but unlike the mailed disc, it acts as a standard rental and has a due date.

My discs usually arrive within 1 or 2 days of being shipped and with the in-store exchange, you don't have to wait til your disc arrives back at the processing center before they send you a new one. Your account instantly updates to show that you turned it in and the next is usually mailed out the next day (possibly same day, but I'm always there in the evening).

They have a huge selection, including tons of Blu-Rays. There is very little I can't find and they almost always have the bonus feature discs that Netflix doesn't. They also often add the double/triple dips, rather than only providing first releases.

Septemberbaby 01-08-09 09:40 AM

Doesn't Netflix offer some kind of On Demand thing?
I don't know anything about it.. but I thought I heard this was one of
their perks.
I guess the down fall of doing Netflix OD is you have to watch the movies
on your PC. I don't think there's a way to watch them on the tv? :confused:

emanon 01-08-09 09:42 AM

I have a buddy who deals with a situation like this by having TWO Netflix accounts.

Goat3001 01-08-09 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby (Post 9183205)
their perks.

There is an On Demand service. It's called Watch Instantly. They don't have new releases available though.

You can watch on TV via XBox 360, Roku or TiVo.

D.Pham5GLTE (>60GB) 01-08-09 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby (Post 9183205)
their perks.

they do offer an on demand service, you can watch it on your pc, or on your tv, with a box that you can buy. you need to have a fast internet connection in order to get good video quality.

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

You need at least 1.2 Mbps to watch movies instantly on the Roku digital video player. The faster your connection, the better the quality. For high quality video and audio, a connection of least 2.5 Mbps and for HD 4.0 Mbps is recommended. You can test your bandwidth at one of these sites:
http://www.roku.com/faqs.aspx

Ocelot 01-08-09 09:54 AM

On demand thing requires download, duh... Well, not for everyone, for me, i want toggle subtitles and extra language tracks (if available), downloads are pain in that area.

If you absolutely need the new releases for the weekend, Netflix is not the way to go. It's a hit or miss really... You might get one or two, but three needs very careful Queue planning and some luck. My Netflix experience was fairly positive, of the six months i joined, i only got three BDs on the release week. I can'd the service when the $1 BD rental increase was issued.

Since you go to B&M rental places, i suggest BBV... With BBV's in store exchange, you have better chances.

DJ_Longfellow 01-08-09 06:29 PM

I will say that getting a new release from Netflix is hit or miss. Example, I recently had Pienapple express (BD) as #1 in my queue. I had Righteous Kill (BD) as #6 in my queue. My queue was empty on Monday and they shipped Righteous Kill...which is ok. However, now Pineaplle Express is VERY LONG WAIT...and that was the movie I really wanted. Plus, the first 19 movies in my queue (albeit, 16 are Blu-Ray) have a wait status. They are mostly new releases that came out in the past 2-3 months. I'm still waiting for the HULK to ship, if that means anything.

DVDMagic 01-08-09 06:49 PM

I usually have about a 95% success rate on getting a new release on the actual day of release. I think it helps that the main depot is in the next city over. If I know there's a movie (or 2) that I want on release day, I make sure that I mail back any others on a Friday or Saturday so that they get them by Monday in time to ship out the new ones.

However, there has been a lack of good releases just lately (in my opinion) so I haven't been in that of a hurry. Besides I'm using it to catch up on 'Criminal Minds' and 'The Tudors'.

GatorDeb 01-08-09 06:50 PM

Do you have a Redbox nearby?

Trevor 01-09-09 07:06 AM

If you only rent new releases, I'll agree with most of the others and say that Netflix probably won't get them to you consistently that first week. I learned to be patient and enjoy the lower cost than most rental stores.

But, as GatorDeb just mentioned, for new releases there is little better than Redbox. $1 a night, ubiquitous free codes, and you can reserve titles online. Here is a link to their location finder.