Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Bad expereince @ Target

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Bad expereince @ Target

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Viper187
What pisses me off is all the added security to begin with. I've seen Kmarts keep $20 titles locked up, while they're in bins and open racks at Walmart. It's stupid. Then there's the issues of nobody with a key actually being around when you want something, or they're pissing around trying to explain something to some technophobe. I've seen $15 BDs locked in the security booth in front at Sam's Club, and it literally took 5 minutes to get somebody with a key and another 10 for the dumb bitch to actually find the title. What about those shitty cable things they use on box sets at some places? THEY RUIN THE BOXES HALF THE TIME!

Let us not forget those lovely built in security devices that set off the alarm when the cashiers forget to disable them. I can't stand the old bats working the door at Walmart. We're walking out with a whole goddamn cart full of groceries and the thing goes off. "See the receipt? See the item? Now piss off." No, they insist on writing a bunch of shit down and going to a register to disable it. Last time somebody tried that shit, I bitched at them and they just handed it back to me. Why harass customers and hold things up unnecessarily?

I got denied a price match once because the item name on the ad didn't say "2-disc edition" for Transformers HD-DVD. HELLO? There's only 1 edition of it, assholes.
Again, a byproduct of the corporate mentality. Someone at the top identifies a problem and instates a change in policy to protect against it. Someone in the middle is charged with implementing it, but many times he or she is middle management because this is about as savvy as they get. Some lacky is charged with actually doing the job, but because they're so removed from actually benefiting from the company's performance they don't know or care about anything beyond being inconvenienced by one more thing to have to do in their minimum wage shift.

Because even a broken clock is right twice a day, I will take a moment to defend them on one point. As for recording the receipt information, as has been explained many times, this isn't actually designed to bust you. It's done to bust a cashier that might be deliberately not scanning items.
Old 01-04-09, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
As for recording the receipt information, as has been explained many times, this isn't actually designed to bust you. It's done to bust a cashier that might be deliberately not scanning items.
It happened to me at Biglots the day before Xmas. Bought some dvds and they beeped at the door as I was going out. The manager happened to be getting a product off a high shelf by the door for another customer and he asked for my receipt.

He then asked which cashier checked me out and I pointed to her and he yelled across the floor and asked the cashier for her employee number. (I guess he could not find the employee number on the receipt) He then keyed it into the alarm pad near the door. He gave me my receipt and I walked out.

This manager looked like he was under alot of stress! MinLShaw is correct. This manager wanted to nail the employee for NOT deactivating one or more sensors on my $2 and $3 dvds LOL. The process was probably by the book (cooked up by corporate) and the employee will show up on an exception report and can be used against her to deny her a 5 cent an hour raise, a promotion, cut her hours and even fire her.

About those Kmart dvds locked up behind glass. Some Kmarts have leased depts in which a third party vendor brings in and restocks their own inventory product and Kmart just takes a percentage of each sale. The Kmart by me has both dvds locked up (the good stuff owned by a 3rd party vendor) and some junky dvds out on a rack in the main aisle for $3.99 or less. These dvds are owned by Kmart.

As you may have noticed, there is usually nobody around in the dvd/electronics dept at Kmart. If the vendor left all the good dvds/video games out on an open rack/shelf they would all disappear pretty quickly with the five finger discount. The shoe dept is another leased dept at Kmart.

Leased depts are very common in retailing. At Macys, the womens cosmetics, mens fragrances and jewelry depts are leased by third party vendors at many of their stores.

The Target near me also went to the spider cables for big box sets and the clear cases for the smaller sets. Yeah, those spider cables are on so tight that they cut into the box set. They had one copy of the phone booth Get Smart dvd set and the box was ruined by the cables. Who would want to buy that set in damaged condition?

An employee was stocking the shelf with some TV sets in those clear cases and I asked her why it was being done. She was friendly about it and said that they were losing too much product due to theft. She said that people would take a TV set off the shelf and find an aisle that is not covered by security cameras and the open the set and take the dvds out and shove them down their pants and throw the empty cases behind other merchandise and walk out with the discs.

I guess this is the way corporate trys to deal with all these issues, but it translates into poor service/shopping experience for the customer.

Last edited by DeepSleep; 01-04-09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-04-09, 09:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Moopher
Bargain customer service should be expected..

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGmdwiz9zDE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGmdwiz9zDE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

E
Old 01-05-09, 01:07 AM

What I have been sitting here trying to figure out is...
Did they compare the time on your reciept to the security tape for reference?
Or... Did they view the security camera tape showing that you went to the isle to pick up the item?
Or... Did they view the security camera tape at the lane in which you checked out?
Or... Did they even actually look at the security tapes?
Or... Did they just look out of the peep hole at you getting pissed off and have a good laugh?
Her answer dosen't make good business sense. It would probably take alot longer than 20 minutes to dig through all those video tapes. Those morons must actually think they are doing the right thing for the company. That is treading dangerously close to a defamation of character lawsuit because they are doing that in front of other customers. Hopefully no one you knew saw you.
God bless their ignorant asses.
Old 01-05-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jones
What I have been sitting here trying to figure out is...
Did they compare the time on your reciept to the security tape for reference?
Or... Did they view the security camera tape showing that you went to the isle to pick up the item?
Or... Did they view the security camera tape at the lane in which you checked out?
Or... Did they even actually look at the security tapes?
Or... Did they just look out of the peep hole at you getting pissed off and have a good laugh?
Her answer dosen't make good business sense. It would probably take alot longer than 20 minutes to dig through all those video tapes. Those morons must actually think they are doing the right thing for the company. That is treading dangerously close to a defamation of character lawsuit because they are doing that in front of other customers. Hopefully no one you knew saw you.
God bless their ignorant asses.
I don't see how it would be anywhere close to defamation of character. But then again, like I keep saying everyone always thinks like they're being treated by a criminal. And having worked at Target during college and at the customer service desk, hearing comments here calling retail employees morons or dumb bitches just makes me remember what I had to deal with. Sheesh.

But really, I bet they just checked to see if he walked into the store with the package versus having been in the store and possibly just grabbed a copy off the shelf to return.
Old 01-05-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I've never been to a Target that had security cases on anything. Is this a high shoplifting risk store?

Also, pretty dumb on their part to think the thief would come back just to get the case removed. Then again there are some dumb thieves out there.
Old 01-05-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At My Target, they have security devices on things like Sex and The City: Complete Series and The Sopranos: Complete Series. That's it, though: only the big-ass uber sets.
Old 01-05-09, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've never been to a Target that had security cases on anything. Is this a high shoplifting risk store?

Also, pretty dumb on their part to think the thief would come back just to get the case removed. Then again there are some dumb thieves out there.
I believe their mentality is to make sure the thief didn't take it from electronics straight to the front desk so they could just stroll out the door with it.

Last edited by Moopher; 01-05-09 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Bad expereince @ Target

Originally Posted by awil1026
At My Target, they have security devices on things like Sex and The City: Complete Series and The Sopranos: Complete Series. That's it, though: only the big-ass uber sets.
Yeah, they have those big spider looking things that always seem to rip into the box. Those things suck! But other then that, I haven't seen any Targets with special cases on regular discs.

I believe their mentality is to make sure the thief didn't take it from electronics straight to the front desk so they could just stroll out the door with it.
Yup, for some reason people aren't understanding that.
Old 01-05-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the Targets around here, customer service is between the door and the security scanners; you couldn't stop at the desk on your way out without first setting off the alarms. I guess not all of them are like that?
Old 01-09-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

OK that makes sense, but then all they'd have to do is watch the current day's camera to see if the person walked in with it and didn't go to electronics. Also, since he had a receipt, they're basically saying he bought one legit to try and get 2-for-1 by returning a second stolen copy. I'm sure that happens but probably not too often.
Old 01-09-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
OK that makes sense, but then all they'd have to do is watch the current day's camera to see if the person walked in with it and didn't go to electronics. Also, since he had a receipt, they're basically saying he bought one legit to try and get 2-for-1 by returning a second stolen copy. I'm sure that happens but probably not too often.
Exactly, which is why it only took what the OP said was 10 minutes. If they reviewed more tape it certainly would have taken a lot longer then that. I don't think this situation happens often anymore, but probably did quite often a little while back.
Old 01-09-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Icon769
I left hella pissed.
Treating a customer rudely is uncalled for in a situation such as this, unless they use the word "hella." Then all bets are off.
Old 01-09-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Icon769
I went there a couple days ago to buy a few things including the Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-Ray that they had on sale. Once I got home I realized that the cashier hadn't removed the Blu-Ray from the thick plastic case they keep it in to prevent theft.

So reluctantly the next day I have to go back and deal with having to find parking (holiday shoppers), and get this taken care of. I go up to Returns/Customer service and hand the girl the encased Blu-Ray along with my receipt and tell her, "I bought this yesterday and didn't notice until I got home that the guy forgot to take this plastic case off".

I figure since I have the receipt she'll take the plastic off and I'll be out of there quick. Instead, she doesn't say a word, takes the movie and receipt and walks out from behind the counter past me about 40 feet, and goes inside an unmarked door. A second later she comes out sans my movie or receipt, and just stands there. I'm still at the counter looking at her since I had seen where she went. She glances at me for a sec, then turns to look away. She's just standing there, and now I'm like WTF.

After about ten minutes I walk over there and ask what's going on. At this point she tells me the security guy is looking at the video footage. I remind her that I have a receipt and she counters with, "they're supposed to remove the plastic". I took this as she was implying that I could have still stolen in. I told her that the guy ringing me up originally was talking with this buddy which is probably why he didn't do his job correctly. Right when I was about to ask to speak to the manager (which I should have done earlier) the security guy emerged with my receipt and movie.

I left hella pissed. First it's their fault for giving me the movie without removing the security device. Then after making time to return and get it removed the employee esentially walks away for a long time without so much as a word as to what is going on. I felt like I was unfairly treated like a criminal and they made me wait for so long without any indication as to what was going on.

Unless this is protocol for when someone returns with a security device attached to their item WITH A RECEIPT. But I doubt it...

effin douchbags.
It took you ten minutes to ask her what was happening?
Old 01-09-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Xbox69
I don't see how this scenario could remove ALL doubt from a CSRs mind as to whether it was shoplifted in the first place -- maybe even on a prior visit.
Because you would have the receipt. If you already stole it on a prior visit, why bother coming back to the store to exchange it for another one. You already have your (stolen) copy.
Old 01-09-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

\I also feel that they don't have a heightened sense of self-entitlement, it's more that they just don't care and they are trying to get in and out and still have a life and get their paycheck.
If that were the situation, then she would have opened the security case, no questions asked, and sent him on his way. In and out.
Old 01-10-09, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Goldblum
If that were the situation, then she would have opened the security case, no questions asked, and sent him on his way. In and out.
I find that to be false just because it is easier to follow protocol than have to find a new job.
Old 01-10-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If I got home and found a DVD or BR still locked inside its security case, I wouldn't return it. I'd just take a hacksaw to it.

(Always sort of wanted to do that. But no stores around me use those hard plastic cases, so I'll likely never get the opportunity.)
Yeah, I came home from Macy's with some new clothes and one of the pants still had one of those security tags on it. I assumed they would just act like I stole it anyway (plus didn't feel like making a special trip back), so I just did a little work on it and got that thing right off. Same thing happened with one of my roommates with Banana Republic. What's with these stores?
Old 01-10-09, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Yeah, I came home from Macy's with some new clothes and one of the pants still had one of those security tags on it. I assumed they would just act like I stole it anyway (plus didn't feel like making a special trip back), so I just did a little work on it and got that thing right off. Same thing happened with one of my roommates with Banana Republic. What's with these stores?
I believe it has something to do with the human aspect of it.
Old 01-11-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see the big deal at all. Aside from the lack of communication on part of the customer service clerk. Would a courtesy apology followed by a "we have to double check the tape...it's just standard procedure, I hope you understand" have killed her?

Of course, we only get one part of the story. Ticked off customers tend to NEVER hear things said by the clerk when they get mad, so for all we know this could have been said. I am not saying it was, but I just know from my personal experiences in retail that I have been very accommodating to customers and I tried my best to be helpful only to have them say I just stood there and didn't respond to them when they complain later to the manager. Some customers just want to see a negative experience where there really is none.

And here, there really is none. Perhaps a thief wouldn't come back into the store to get it removed, but maybe they found a receipt on the floor and decided they could get a free movie that way. My first job was at Wal Mart and we were trained to look for stuff like this. You'd be surprised what people would try to cheat a store. One time at a grocery store I worked at the manager told me he had a lady try to return TWO huge bottles of Tide, the largest and most expensive ones we carried. He was helping her carry them from the car when something told him to look inside them and they were both filled with water.

You never know what customers will do. Say something to the store manager about the communication if you truly believe she could have handled it differently, but it's not the worst experience at Target. If this is your worst, you had a good day.
Old 05-11-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I had to bump this because I had the same thing happen to me tonight. I bought two of the Blu-Ray's on sale for $4.75, and they actually took the case off one and not the other. I saw them taking the first one off, then turned to put away some bags into the cart. I guess I assumed (yeah I know) they had done the other one as well.

I hope I'm not going to be hassled or treated like a criminal for $5

Old 05-11-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the electronic buzzer not go off when you were walking out the door?
Old 05-12-13, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

No, it didn't. That's the first thing I said to my wife.

I'm thinking of just taking a hammer and cracking the thing open.
Old 05-13-13, 02:52 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

My nearest Target is about twenty minutes away and I don't shop there very often, but I did make a special trip to pick up The Avengers with the exclusive bonus disc last fall. The teenager checking me out also failed to remove the security case and I had to call him on it after he put it in the bag and handed it to me.

Back in the day when Wal-Mart used to keep all of their DVDs under lock and key, my dad tried to buy a copy of Willow. This was when the stores would just put the empty DVD cases on the shelf and you would have to go get an electronics employee to retrieve a sealed copy of movie from a glass case. Of course, my dad (who'd never bought a DVD before) didn't know this and just picked up the empty case and went through checkout with it. I give my dad a pass for this oversight, but I don't see how the clerk at the register didn't catch it beforehand. Thankfully, the electronics department realized it was an honest mistake after confirming the empty case was missing from the shelf when he returned it to the store. This same Wal-Mart now gives me the third degree on ANY sort of returns, so I'd hate to think of the hassle they'd give my dad if a similar incident happened today.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-13-13 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-13-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
This same Wal-Mart now gives me the third degree on ANY sort of returns, so I'd hate to think of the hassle they'd give my dad if a similar incident happened today.
Don't take it personally, they probably just have a flood of people trying to commit fraud there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.