Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

How many DVDs does Amazon sell?

Old 12-07-08, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

How many DVDs does Amazon sell?

Just curious to know how many DVDs they sell. For example, should the new X-Files movie worry(or Fox), since its rank is like 150? Or are sales on Amazon not that big to really consider that it's in trouble? It's kind of a weird question... but just wondering.
Old 12-07-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
They don't release those figures. I imagine Amazon does a pretty good percentage of DVD sales.
Old 12-07-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a site that charts DVD sales?
Old 12-07-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Overall Top 10-20 sales lists are pretty easy to find at places like videobusiness.com, they don't include figures unless the studio wants to make some big deal about them.

The thing to remember about sales on Amazon is they're weighted weird. I can't remember how exactly it works, but someone explained it to me once and it seems pretty odd to me.
Old 12-07-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would imagine the studio is more worried about units moved rather than some chart placement.
Old 12-07-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would guess Amazon sells more DVDs than any other place online? Funny since I never really thought about ordering from them in the early days of DVD collecting with reel.com and 800.com and all those crazy coupon sites.
Old 12-08-08, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think over the years, Amazon has become one of the top leaders (if not, the leader) in DVD sales, and has gradually earned this position. Back in the early days they weren't a DVD source per se, and Amazon was more of a place to get book deals. If I remember correctly, their other merchandise they sold was priced rather high at the time.
Old 12-08-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I think over the years, Amazon has become one of the top leaders (if not, the leader) in DVD sales, and has gradually earned this position. Back in the early days they weren't a DVD source per se, and Amazon was more of a place to get book deals. If I remember correctly, their other merchandise they sold was priced rather high at the time.
You are exactly right. In those early DVD days, Amazon was basically only a book store. Their DVDs and other merchandise was always pricey. Amazon still isn't always the lowest price when it comes to DVDs, but it's almost always the lowest price when it comes to Blu-rays.

I still do miss the insanity that was reel.com, though.
Old 12-08-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i am no help in anwering the op, but i think ive read that bestbuy and walmart are the leaders in total dvd sales, followed by amazon. or something like that?
Old 12-09-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
You are exactly right. In those early DVD days, Amazon was basically only a book store. Their DVDs and other merchandise was always pricey. Amazon still isn't always the lowest price when it comes to DVDs, but it's almost always the lowest price when it comes to Blu-rays.

I still do miss the insanity that was reel.com, though.
I know I ordered from reel.com many many times in the late 90's, but I never remember exactly what was so great about them?
Old 12-09-08, 04:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
I know I ordered from reel.com many many times in the late 90's, but I never remember exactly what was so great about them?
Low prices, tons of coupons, price matching the before coupon price, BFL shipping rebates and $25 vouchers, mypoints, etc.

You could actually makes money buying DVDs at Reel.
Old 12-09-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd View Post
I would guess Amazon sells more DVDs than any other place online? Funny since I never really thought about ordering from them in the early days of DVD collecting with reel.com and 800.com and all those crazy coupon sites.
I too remember fondly the reel.com days. This was back in the early days of dvd, and everyone seemed to be fighting for the dvd customers and offering insane discounts. I remember keeping very detailed records of dvd purchases at the time, and I think I averaged something like 2.50 per dvd over about 50 dvds from reel, if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by hindolio View Post
i am no help in anwering the op, but i think ive read that bestbuy and walmart are the leaders in total dvd sales, followed by amazon. or something like that?
You might be right, but I think they probably factored in online as well as b&m sales as well. I would be VERY surprised if Amazon wasnt the highest ranked online dvd merchant.
Old 12-10-08, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember the Reel days too. Wasn't there Reel, Amazon, and a third significant company, DVD-something? Some of them would run 40% off all pre-orders and other crazy things. Kind of like BD/HD DVD BOGOs...

Titanic was a big release back in the day (non-anamorphic even). I think I got it from Reel for 50% off, and they threw in a free copy of The Shining as well.
Old 12-10-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hindolio View Post
I've been out of the industry for over a year now but at the time, Wallmart was the leader followed by Best Buy and Target. Amazon was big but not in the top 3. Do not have any numbers that could actually back that up but that's what was always told to me.
Old 12-11-08, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
I too remember fondly the reel.com days. This was back in the early days of dvd, and everyone seemed to be fighting for the dvd customers and offering insane discounts. I remember keeping very detailed records of dvd purchases at the time, and I think I averaged something like 2.50 per dvd over about 50 dvds from reel, if I remember correctly.
What was that store that wasn't around long that was begun by a movie exec (maybe from Disney?) and they offered customers a code who had a previous service issue to order DVDs at 50 or 60% off and already discounted price? The code ended up getting out and circulating the net and the store honored everything. That's how I ended up finding DVDTalk. I got a nice order in from that place. Think it was out of business in 6 months. This was around June of 1999.
Old 12-12-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I remember the Reel days too. Wasn't there Reel, Amazon, and a third significant company, DVD-something? Some of them would run 40% off all pre-orders and other crazy things. Kind of like BD/HD DVD BOGOs...

Titanic was a big release back in the day (non-anamorphic even). I think I got it from Reel for 50% off, and they threw in a free copy of The Shining as well.
Maybe you are thinking of DVD Express? I think I still have a couple of pens from them.

Reel's price matching policy was the ultimate.
Old 12-12-08, 07:47 PM

If you don't mind the effort, and are looking for mostly mainstream, non-Disney titles, Columbia House is vastly better than Amazon. That's why there is a whole sub-forum for it.
Old 12-13-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Maybe you are thinking of DVD Express? I think I still have a couple of pens from them.
I think that's it! Thanks, clckworang.