Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The Stupidest Target Employee I've Ever Dealt With

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-24-08, 02:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

So I had purchased the new (supposedly) anamorphic release of American President at Target. Turns out the packaging lied and it was the same old crappy non-anamorphic with new, incorrect packaging.
I knew they were going to give me trouble returning an opened dvd for anything but an even exchange, much less did I think the people there would have a CLUE as to what "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen tv's" even means. But this I wasn't expecting:

As I'm trying to explain the problem, she says, "but this one isnt even the widescreen version anyway, sir."
ME: "Yes, it is"
HER: "No, it would say that if it was."

I point out to her the usual box on the bottom of the back where it says "Widescreen version: This film is presented..."

HER: "That says if you get the widescreen version it's like that, but this isn't the widescreen version. If it was it would say it across the top of the front."
ME: "No, ma'am. Different studios label them differently. Some do it that way, but others just show it there on the back."
HER: "No! - ALL widescreen dvd's say it across the top of the front cover."

this went on for another couple minutes, before I just said, "Either way, this disc is NOT what the package says, so I'm returning it." and she acts like she's doing me a special favor by finally letting me. As I leave, I add, "and for future reference, I own hundreds of dvd's, and I can assure you, ma'am - you are wrong."

holy crap was she misinformed. of course, this is from a store where even the people in that department don't understand how to use their own tv's. They aways have widescreen tv's with the widescreen films further stretched out in a tiny band across the middle of the screen.
Old 11-24-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Eh, nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 11-24-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
So I had purchased the new (supposedly) anamorphic release of American President at Target. Turns out the packaging lied and it was the same old crappy non-anamorphic with new, incorrect packaging.
I knew they were going to give me trouble returning an opened dvd for anything but an even exchange, much less did I think the people there would have a CLUE as to what "anamorphic" or "enhanced for widescreen tv's" even means. But this I wasn't expecting:

As I'm trying to explain the problem, she says, "but this one isnt even the widescreen version anyway, sir."
ME: "Yes, it is"
HER: "No, it would say that if it was."

I point out to her the usual box on the bottom of the back where it says "Widescreen version: This film is presented..."

HER: "That says if you get the widescreen version it's like that, but this isn't the widescreen version. If it was it would say it across the top of the front."
ME: "No, ma'am. Different studios label them differently. Some do it that way, but others just show it there on the back."
HER: "No! - ALL widescreen dvd's say it across the top of the front cover."

this went on for another couple minutes, before I just said, "Either way, this disc is NOT what the package says, so I'm returning it." and she acts like she's doing me a special favor by finally letting me. As I leave, I add, "and for future reference, I own hundreds of dvd's, and I can assure you, ma'am - you are wrong."

holy crap was she misinformed. of course, this is from a store where even the people in that department don't understand how to use their own tv's. They aways have widescreen tv's with the widescreen films further stretched out in a tiny band across the middle of the screen.
This rant is a joke right? You expect Target employees to know what anamorphic is? Really? Most ppl at Best Buy don't know what it means and on top of that its a girl. Not saying anything bad about chicks, God knows I love them, but they could care less about shit like that. I have a collection of about 600 dvd's and I made sure my ex wife bought the right ones and she still didn't know what it meant.
Old 11-24-08, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
This rant is a joke right? You expect Target employees to know what anamorphic is? Really? Most ppl at Best Buy don't know what it means and on top of that its a girl. Not saying anything bad about chicks, God knows I love them, but they could care less about shit like that. I have a collection of about 600 dvd's and I made sure my ex wife bought the right ones and she still didn't know what it meant.
Oh no no no. NO WAY did expect them to know what anamorphic meant, so I never even went into that part of it. I couldn't have gotten that far IF I wanted to.
The point was she didn't even believe the disc was the widescreen version when it clearly stated it right on the back.
Old 11-24-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's not so much that she didn't know, it's more that she thought she knew and was confident enough in her misinformation to argue about it.
Old 11-24-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People are stupid. Film at 11.

Thanks for the post OP. When will WB release a anamorphic DVD of TAP? I'm tempted to get it from Big Lots for $3.
Old 11-24-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should've went and got another dvd that said said the same thing plus Widescreen on the front just to spite her.
Old 11-24-08, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier View Post
Should've went and got another dvd that said said the same thing plus Widescreen on the front just to spite her.
im afraid then she would have just said, "See! If it was REALLY widescreen it would say it on back AND front!" and thought she won.
Old 11-24-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The lady was definitely dumb, so don't get me wrong here. But this is not the way to end a confrontation and look like a winner...

As I leave, I add, "and for future reference, I own hundreds of dvd's, and I can assure you, ma'am - you are wrong."
I chuckled at that. Just teasing.
Old 11-24-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh ok gotcha. Still you can't expect much of those ppl everything is just a skew # to them.
Old 11-24-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh ok gotcha. Still you can't expect much of those ppl everything is just a skew # to them.
That's a SKU # (for Stock-keeping unit), which Target doesn't use anyway; they use a DPCI # (Department-Class-Item).
Old 11-25-08, 08:25 AM

Want to have some fun with one of their sales associated (clerks) then go in and for a DVD REWINDER. That'll blow their mind.
Old 11-25-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love my DVD rewinder. Best purchase ever!

Old 11-25-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Being dumb or stupid, and not being informed about something as unimportant as the difference between anamorphic, widescreen, full screen, etc is in the grand scheme of things are 2 separate things. Was her argument really needed, of course not because it was misinformed.
Old 11-25-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
That's a SKU # (for Stock-keeping unit), which Target doesn't use anyway; they use a DPCI # (Department-Class-Item).
Dude you couldn't be more anal if you were taking it in the ass as you wrote that.
Old 11-26-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude you couldn't be more anal if you were taking it in the ass as you wrote that.
Says the man who was wrong.
Old 11-26-08, 08:41 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Most ppl at Best Buy don't know what it means and on top of that its a girl. Not saying anything bad about chicks, God knows I love them, but they could care less about shit like that. I have a collection of about 600 dvd's and I made sure my ex wife bought the right ones and she still didn't know what it meant.
Sorry Larry, but that made me smile.
Old 11-26-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Says the man who was wrong.
Yeah I know fuck me for not being a stock boy....
Old 11-26-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Sorry Larry, but that made me smile.
No worries kid.... I'll be here all week
Old 11-26-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I know fuck me for not being a stock boy....
Defensive much? You don't have to have been a "stock boy" in order to know what a SKU is.
Old 11-30-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Geez, it's Target for crying out loud. You're expecting someone with a brain? They work there for a reason.
Old 12-04-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there such a thing as a smart target employee? I have found them to be some of the dumbest employees I have ever come across.
Old 03-12-09, 10:19 PM

Re: The Stupidest Target Employee I've Ever Dealt With

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Is there such a thing as a smart target employee? I have found them to be some of the dumbest employees I have ever come across.

Apparently you have never shopped at Walmart
Old 03-13-09, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You actually found an employee at Wal-Mart?
Old 03-13-09, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

5 levels of Walmart employees

The Good

The bad

And the crazy

and the employee of the year

Last edited by JoeySeven; 03-13-09 at 05:32 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.