DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Black friday...needs way more RED! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/544003-black-friday-needs-way-more-red.html)

lake100 11-18-08 10:56 PM

Black friday...needs way more RED!

needs way more RED! I can not believe the poor quality of what they(Retailers) are calling as a heavily discounted sale item for Black Friday.

I say.......we need not purchase anything until they(Retailers) come way down on their goods. The same goes for the manufactures who have to lower their demands on retailers;thus, we the consumer no longer carry the heavy burden/cross on our backs for over manufacturing.

Every single day i read stories about how bad big brother retail has it......but they do not liquidate?? What gives......??? I say....save your money. Let them get hungry. Allow the retailers to really apply pressure on manufactures to lower license fees and give us equal cost of living to value for our entertainment.

You can not continue to profit 300% on goods forever.....anyone agree???

Brian Shannon 11-19-08 07:32 AM

If only people would do this.

Alas, Walmart only needs to "rollback" their prices to have the lemmings flocking

JustinCleveland 11-19-08 08:33 AM

"You can not continue to profit 300% on goods forever"

You're going to have to cite your source on that one.

orangecrush 11-19-08 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by lake100 (Post 9080820)
needs way more RED! I can not believe the poor quality of what they(Retailers) are calling as a heavily discounted sale item for Black Friday.

I say.......we need not purchase anything until they(Retailers) come way down on their goods. The same goes for the manufactures who have to lower their demands on retailers;thus, we the consumer no longer carry the heavy burden/cross on our backs for over manufacturing.

Every single day i read stories about how bad big brother retail has it......but they do not liquidate?? What gives......??? I say....save your money. Let them get hungry. Allow the retailers to really apply pressure on manufactures to lower license fees and give us equal cost of living to value for our entertainment.

You can not continue to profit 300% on goods forever.....anyone agree???

I am not entirely sure what you are saying. Maybe you could try it again, but with fewer ellipses;)

Cheato 11-19-08 09:26 AM

This is a ridiculous thread.

People complaining about the economy, and big-screen HDTVs, Wiis, iPods, laptops, PS3s, video games priced at $50+, etc.--all of them selling quite well. You can rent a movie for a few bucks (pirates downlod them for free), but DVDs and Blu-rays are still selling briskly.

Nobody's carrying a heavy burden, except for gas prices, where there really are robber barons in control right now. Try living in a country other than the U.S.. Then you can complain about CD/DVD/etc. prices. You have the lowest prices on these things in the world.

"300%." I say it again: ridiculous.

lake100 11-20-08 02:08 AM

Man, don't even get me started about OPEC, LMAO:lol::lol:

Profit margins on gizmo's are insane. I'll give you a small example. Very small, ok. To just prove a minor point. Lots of those dvds that you see at "Wallmart" for.....lets say.....$5 or less.....not sure if they even have dvds for less than $5. I know "Big Lots" does.

Anyway, what do you think a case(350 dvds) is purchased for by "Walmart" ??? Better yet, what would you pay if you were "Walmart"???? Remember, you have operating expense to transport the case, unload it, stock it, put it out on the floor, you have insurance expense if it's lost/damaged..you also....have to calculate shelf life and inflation.

So...all that above over time will eat into some of the profit....but not all of it.

What would you pay:question:

riotinmyskull 11-20-08 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by lake100 (Post 9083298)
Man, don't even get me started about OPEC, LMAO:lol::lol:

Profit margins on gizmo's are insane. I'll give you a small example. Very small, ok. To just prove a minor point. Lots of those dvds that you see at "Wallmart" for.....lets say.....$5 or less.....not sure if they even have dvds for less than $5. I know "Big Lots" does.

Anyway, what do you think a case(350 dvds) is purchased for by "Walmart" ??? Better yet, what would you pay if you were "Walmart"???? Remember, you have operating expense to transport the case, unload it, stock it, put it out on the floor, you have insurance expense if it's lost/damaged..you also....have to calculate shelf life and inflation.

So...all that above over time will eat into some of the profit....but not all of it.

What would you pay:question:

so where's the example??

lake100 11-21-08 01:46 AM

No one cares to have some slight fun to amuse the few readers on this thread with my hypothetical question????

The Cow 11-21-08 10:35 AM

No.

JustinCleveland 11-21-08 12:09 PM

There is a significant difference between hypothetical and ridiculous speculation without any understanding of economics. This thread falls squarely into the later.

Spicollidriver1 11-21-08 02:30 PM

Speaking as someone who has worked at a major retailer and seen exactly what the markups are I can say you are absolutely wrong. In fact a lot of times I would get pissed at how much below cost we would sell something (called loss leaders) just to get someone in and hopefully spend money on the things we did make a profit on. Now where we are now is everyone rushes in the day after buys only the loss leaders and moves on to the net which means of course you are not really making any money.