DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Best Buy and price-matching? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/543990-best-buy-price-matching.html)

MrSmearkase 11-18-08 07:15 PM

Best Buy and price-matching?

This week, Target has both sets of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Seasons 1 & 2, and Season 3) on sale, and reflected in their circular as such. Both sets are $14.88 at Target. I brought the Target circular to Best Buy in hopes that they would honor their competitor's price, something that they have done for me in the past. Both stores have ample stock, but the reason I chose to purchase at Best Buy was in order to accrue Rewards Zone points.

At Best Buy, I grabbed both sets off the shelf and headed to customer service with the circular, which clearly states that both sets are on sale. The customer service rep who was initially helping me swtiched off to her manager, who then proceeded to not only look over the ad, but also look online at the price. After going into the back for close to 10 minutes, the manager once again returned and told me that they could not honor the price match, and instead would only discount one of the sets for $29.99.

The reasoning that she gave me was that the $14.88 price was not reflected when she searched the price on Target's website, despite the fact that she was holding their circular which clearly indicated the sale price. (Upon searching the site myself when I got home, I found that the offer is only good in-store, and therefore would not be found when searching the price online)

I'm not one to give anybody a hassle for doing their job, so I politely declined the purchase and said that I would instead pick them up next door at Target.

My question to all of you is - Shouldn't the circular be enough to warrant a price match? Wouldn't they prefer I spend my money at their store? I think I'm going to try another Best Buy just in hopes of buying them there, but I really don't understand the reasoning behind not honoring a competitor's advertised sale.

Xbox69 11-18-08 07:59 PM

IMO, what you brought to them was ample proof of the advertised price for them to match. I would have put up more of an argument. Good call on not purchasing from them though.

Cardsfan111 11-18-08 08:07 PM

Strange that the original associate switched off to a manager. Seemed like a simple price match. If you're willing, I'd definitely check out another Best Buy.

dx23 11-18-08 08:57 PM

And you should report your experience to the district manager. Best Buy price match policy clearly states that if a competitor has a lower advertise price, they will match it. That's it. You had the ad in hand with the lower price, the store had to honor their policy. The manager is probably an idiot.

Cardsfan111 11-18-08 09:22 PM

^ And from other stories I've read on this forum, it wouldn't surprise me to see the OP compensated with a gift card or something.

Xbox69 11-18-08 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 9080446)
The reasoning that she gave me was that the $14.88 price was not reflected when she searched the price on Target's website, despite the fact that she was holding their circular which clearly indicated the sale price. (Upon searching the site myself when I got home, I found that the offer is only good in-store, and therefore would not be found when searching the price online)

If they are so insistent on finding the same price online, they need only to click Weekly Ad on the Target website.

lovgun7 11-19-08 01:28 AM

The ad was more then enough ...

i think the fine print says that Best Buy Employees reserve the right to CALL the certain store to where the ad is from and check if stock is available for such item.

because what is suppose top happen is ; you present the T ad, they look it over, then they should call the store and check for stock, if they do have stock then you are intitled to a price match but if Target is out of stock then your not. But most dont even bother to call the store if anything they'll call a manager to authorize the sale.

Similar experience happen with me but i ended up getting the price match

Walk Hard unrated 2 disc was 8.99 or 9.99 at circuit city and like yourself i wanted the reward zone points so i decided to go with best buy. when i got to the cashier he looked the ad over and then told me that the ad was from the week before and then i told him no its not, then he said that its the fullscreen version thats on sale so i then asked him where does its specify that ??? he then told me that he was doubtful that his manager would authorize the price match... he calls his manager and the manager types in his code never looking at the ad or item or even saying anything to the cashier.... and i walk out with my movie lol

i guess it just depends on who you get, ive been lucky enough to get to know a few employees to the point where they wont give me any hastle. i know an employee well enough that when i have an instore pick up all he asks for is my id no print out , no credit card ... it pays off the get to know employees and to read the fine print on BB's policies

joltman 11-19-08 05:36 AM

Target's site never reflects their in-store prices on DVDs, because the DVDs on Target's site are actually sold through Amazon. That manager was an idiot.

Trevor 11-19-08 05:41 AM

They made a mistake. Try a different store or a different day/shift.

Also, you made a money saving mistake. Always buy the item at full price first, then go to customer service and get the difference plus 10% of the difference, a couple bucks each in this case apparently.

If you show the ad first, they only match, no extra 10%.

zoomgirl 11-19-08 06:14 AM

I had the same problem matching Target's ad for the Simpsons. The cashier started to ring it up but became hesistant. From listening to when she conferred with another cashier it seems that they had some meeting on "price matches" I noticed that for the last few weeks they have really scoured the ad when I bring something in.
She also got her manager because she said it was lower than their employee discount. I waited for over 20 minutes. Luckily the manager that finallly came over knows that I shop there ALOT so I think that is why they matched the price.

I would also suggest you write a letter. Something tells me though if the current economy doesn't change soon....I wouldn't be suprised if they changed there price matching policy.

speedy1961 11-19-08 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9080611)
And you should report your experience to the district manager. Best Buy price match policy clearly states that if a competitor has a lower advertise price, they will match it. That's it. You had the ad in hand with the lower price, the store had to honor their policy. The manager is probably an idiot.

I quite agree.

You had everything they needed to approve the price match..

Brian Shannon 11-19-08 07:30 AM

I stopped price matching (and shopping) there years ago.

They will try everything they can think of to not do a price match.

I'm not one to give anybody a hassle for doing their job, so I politely declined the purchase and said that I would instead pick them up next door at Target.
Which is exactly why it is not worth shopping at this store.

lovgun7 11-19-08 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon (Post 9081157)
I stopped price matching (and shopping) there years ago.

They will try everything they can think of to not do a price match.

Which is exactly why it is not worth shopping at this store.

it just really depends on the store and its employees ... when i price match at best buy id say 99% of the time i wont get and hastle because i mean its in they're fine print ...

Ainlawl 11-30-08 03:57 AM

(I know I'm late on the thread)

Best Buy doesn't HAVE to honor every price match that walks in the store. In the end, if the store manager decides to decline the price match, then you don't get the price.

What people don't understand about sales and promotions from stores, is that generally the manufacturer of the item gives the store a credit or kickback to compensate them for the promotion which more than likely lost them money. When you then take that price from company A to company B who is supposed to price match it, and that price is well below the stores cost to get that product, they lose money. At that point letting the business walk next door doesn't hurt at all, in fact it doesn't affect the company in any way. If anything it helped, because that item that cost $1000 to get in to the store that the customer wants for $600 would have lost the store $400.