DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Black Friday stories. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/543885-black-friday-stories.html)

PopcornBandit 11-17-08 12:06 PM

Black Friday stories.

With Black Friday rapidly approaching, I was just wondering if any of you guys have any stories about your past BF experiences. I don't have any personally, but I would love to hear any of your stories.

Note: If this is off-topic, mods please delete it.

cdollaz 11-17-08 02:59 PM

My story is this: I ventured out a few years ago and went to a few stores. I hated the crowds and people so much that I decided that saving a few bucks wasn't remotely worth the aggravation.

DVD Josh 11-17-08 03:18 PM

I've found that those BF deals usually come back around again in the weeks before xmas. I stood in line one year for two things at best buy that two weeks later were on sale for the same price. Also, many BF deals are available online as well as in store.

Unless it's a crazy deal, like $500 below the price or something, I just don't do it anymore. Peoples is crazy on BF.

EdTheRipper 11-17-08 03:45 PM

Years ago, I went out to Best Buy on Black Friday to pick up a digital camera for a friend. She asked me nicely and I figured that since I wasn't working, it wouldn't be a big deal. I got to the store an hour or so before they opened and joined the massive line outside. When the doors opened, the line started to move and people were jumping out of their parked cars to cut ahead of everyone waiting in line. I managed to find where the cameras were and had to wait in another line to get one. Got the second to last one and went to get in line to check out. The lines were insanely long and there was no organization at all. I finally got to the front after a solid hour of crawling down the cd aisle. Worst part of it all is I get the camera home to her and the freaking thing didn't even work! It literally took weeks to secure a replacement.

From that day forth, I vowed never to shop on Black Friday again.

BigSue 11-17-08 06:03 PM

Well, I usually don't partake on Black Friday sales (at least not the 5 or 6am 'til 11am sales). I shop online for the most part, now. A few years ago, on Black Friday, I thought that I would swing by the Circuit City in Ann Arbor to look for a few sale items. I pulled in around lunch time and was VERY surprised to see that it wasn't that busy. It seemed like a normal non-holiday midday. I wandered around CC for a bit and then went to Hiller's to grab a few groceries.

I walked out of a calm, quiet Hiller's into complete pandemonium! Oh my god. People and cars everywhere. Honking, screaming, bad VERY BAD driving, more screaming, squealing tires and threats to punch each other out. People screaming at each other face to face. I had never seen anything like that before. I bolted to my car, jumped in and got the hell on out of there!

NiCK Crush 11-17-08 10:12 PM

Nothing makes me more angry then those fucks who jump out of there cars right as the doors open.

DeanoBKN 11-18-08 09:33 PM

I'll be working BF morning but thankfully at a store that won't be having any door busters.

I love watching the news Friday night and seeing the security camera madness of people rushing for $15 DVD players.

asianxcore 11-18-08 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas (Post 9080703)
I'll be working BF morning but thankfully at a store that won't be having any door busters.

Same here. This is one year I actually won't mind working on Black Friday. I believe the store I work at opens at 8am, which is nice since we usually open at 9am. I'll actually get to sleep in a little :)

I've only been to a couple Black Friday sales, so I don't have any funny stories. Other than extremely long lines, nothing really out of the ordinary.

I always enjoy seeing customers get heated while trying to price match various ad's at various stores because they missed the sale at others.

lake100 11-18-08 10:54 PM

Black Friday is an awful day to train future children to shop just as mindless as their parents.

Brian Shannon 11-19-08 07:36 AM

I make note of the prices and wait for the inevitable sales in December where the items will be lower

tasha99 11-21-08 12:19 AM

Two years ago I got my computer on a BB doorbuster. I was 18th in line and got there at 5:30 on Thanksgiving. It was cold and rainy, but the front of BB was like a homeless shelter--people even set up portable heaters. It was pretty uneventful. There were the asshats who showed at 3 am or so and tried to merge with the front of the line, but we'd written all our names on a list. I got the computer/printer/monitor for $189 and was in bed by 8 am the next morning. I thought it was totally worth it to save a few hundred bucks, but it wouldn't be to someone who spent their whole time in line being miserable. Maybe I'm a loser, but I think sitting in line is kind of fun. You meet a few people, share a few stories etc., and with an ipod, you can even watch a movie while waiting. It's kind of like camping with an electronics prize at the end.

lake100 11-21-08 01:43 AM

You're not a looser. The best part of your story is the community you had with everyone else there with you in line. Also, you got a great deal on something you may still be using right now....that's great!

Your story is very positive, rewarding, and to some may even be a priceless memory(You may find your soul mate in line etc. If you believe in that sort of thing) and there are many people like yourself. I say keep doing it if you enjoy it.

However, i only raise the question as to why are we constantly condition to spend???(Like many of you...we all can guess).....what's the real seed behind Black Friday???

Anyone:question:

bmoney1023 11-24-08 01:11 AM

Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way. The doll was destroyed. But out of that a new holiday was born: a Festivus for the rest of us