DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   NO MORE Best Buy Store Pickup Guarantee (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/543554-no-more-best-buy-store-pickup-guarantee.html)

cinemaphile 11-12-08 12:55 PM

NO MORE Best Buy Store Pickup Guarantee

They've quietly done away with it. Be prepared to wait for your orders!

I had placed an order for Store Pickup, got my confirmation emails, and headed in to pick it up.

Not only was my order not ready in one minute, but they didn't even have the item at the counter. They send someone to go get the item, and a couple minutes later they bring it up. But it was the WRONG item. Finally, after some more hassle, I just say, "I'll go get it myself."

Needless to say, my order was NOT ready within one minute. It had been closer to TEN. I was not given the $10 credit, so I called BestBuy.com, but the lady on the phone had no idea what I was talking about. I got home and contacted bestbuy.com online. FOUR days later, I finally get a call with the answer: "We discontinued that guarantee on November 2."

"Were you planning on informing customers of this?" I say.

"We took it off the website."
and the guy basically said "you're not getting any credit."

Okay, let's forget the guarantee for a second. What about the fact that I got an email saying my order was ready, and it wasn't?? What if they had sold out before I came in, and there wasn't another for me to just grab off the shelf?

Brent L 11-12-08 01:20 PM

Hmmm, reason 28,205 to hate Best Buy I suppose.

I wish they were going down instead of CC.

EDIT:

While on topic, I noticed that my print for an order I did in store pickup on yesterday didn't mention anything about the guarantee anymore either. When I went to the store I had to wait about five minutes or so. Ugh.

utopianz14 11-12-08 01:44 PM

I went to Best Buy to pick-up an order on 11/2, and same thing happened. The DVDs I ordered weren't even ready and the lady at the counter had to get someone to retrieve them from the floor. Definitely took more than one minute - more like ten minutes.

When I asked the lady about the guarantee, she told me that I didn't qualify because I didn't print out the E-mail (I had written down the order number and all the other info on a scrap piece of paper). But just like you said, even though I didn't have the E-mail printed out, the fact remains that the order wasn't ready hours after I received an E-mail saying that it was.

I called corporate when I got back home, and the lady I spoke with apologized and sent me a $10 gift card, so it might be YMMV depending on who you talk to. But then again, I did call on 11/2, so the guarantee might still be in effect.

On another note, the guarantee is still online - just a bit hidden. I clicked on "Customer Service" and did a search for "Pick-up Guarantee." I clicked on "How do I use store pickup on Bestbuy.com?" and then, on the right side, in the Top 5 FAQs section, I clicked on "How do I use store pickup on Bestbuy.com?" A window popped up and the guarantee is still listed there.

cinemaphile 11-12-08 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by utopianz14 (Post 9068136)
...the lady I spoke with apologized and sent me a $10 gift card, so it might be YMMV depending on who you talk to. But then again, I did call on 11/2, so the guarantee might still be in effect.

On another note, the guarantee is still online - just a bit hidden. I clicked on "Customer Service" and did a search for "Pick-up Guarantee." I clicked on "How do I use store pickup on Bestbuy.com?" and then, on the right side, in the Top 5 FAQs section, I clicked on "How do I use store pickup on Bestbuy.com?" A window popped up and the guarantee is still listed there.

THANK YOU! the person I spoke with was not so generous and I got nothing. But thanks to you still finding it on the website, I called back, directed their attention to link with their STILL-LISTED guarantee, and she eventually agreed I should get it. BUT, she said "that's the store's reponsibility, you need to go to the store and they will give you your $10 gift card." We'll see if that actually happens.

still there: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....82684608&h=387

neiname 11-12-08 03:32 PM

I also tried price matching the $10 gift card from circuit city for CoD World at War and was denied. This is on top of getting denied last week for Gear of War and CC's 1600 point card free promotion. Both times they say match price not offers. I totally understand for the Gears promotion but that's stretching it on the CoD one.

Best Buy is becoming more annoying by the day.

hindolio 11-13-08 12:49 AM

hmmm they musta just changed the policy then. on my in-store pickup email dated 11/4/08, the 1 minute guarantee is still there.

Mordred 11-13-08 12:24 PM

Tuesday I was waiting in line to price match and the guy behind me had ordered a game for pickup. They couldn't find it behind the counter so an employee pulled it off the shelf. He came back and handed it to him and said "Tell the cashier that you get $10 back." So stores are definitely still doing this.

shacmasta 11-20-08 05:25 PM

I got a 10 gift card back on 11/10 because they took 20 mins to get my order, sure the clerk was a little huffy about it but she buckled after I had a answer for all her excuses, though none were about the policy being dead.

cinemaphile 11-20-08 05:34 PM

FINALLY got my $10 gift card back.
I went back into the store last friday (and brought a printout from their website dated that same day still showing the guarantee). They resisted, telling me they didnt do it anymore, but i showed them the printout, and they said, "ok, we'll do it."

bottom line, people: print it out, bring it with you and dont take no for an answer.

lake100 11-20-08 08:12 PM

"Best Buy"..........as many people know.....that's the farthest thing from the truth.

I read a favorable report on them that was sprinkled with positive rhetoric but the realty maybe different. It does not surprise me they would fidget about there guarantees right now.

Out where i live......i've had that ancient trick, "Bait and switch" done a couple of times to me. They kind of remind me of "Toy's R Us" and there awful, high school, rebellious, angst, part-time workforce. Their interest free purchases are the best for new credit shoppers(36 months), though.

I walk in to look around from time-to-time but, perhaps, in the last 5yrs i may have purchased 5 items from them.

Out where i live, "Fry's Electronics" has the best prices on new items. Their customer service is lousy as hell too(Displeasure in dress clothes)

But of recent and only within the last year....."Circuit City" has been the best for sales.(Part-time angst too but your out real fast) Now it's too bad there going out of business.

Trevor 11-20-08 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by lake100 (Post 9085270)
"Best Buy"..........as many people know.....that's the farthest thing from the truth.

I read a favorable report on them that was sprinkled with positive rhetoric but the realty maybe different. It does not surprise me they would fidget about there guarantees right now.

What? So a business doesn't have the right to change their policies to make a profit? Capitalism isn't fair?

lake100 11-20-08 09:41 PM

1)Question to previous reply, Hmmm.....do you work for "Best Buy""???

2) quote, " It does not surprise me they would fidget about their guarantees right now."

Problem Solved, maybe, "Best Buy" honroed his $10 gift card(With some work on his part...they did
not volunteer)

3)Question to previous reply: Let me ask you this....the gentleman who started this thread, is he in the wrong or is "Best Buy" about the gift card???

4)Fidget.....what's wrong with that word???

5)Question to previous reply: who said anything about capitalism????

DVD Josh 11-21-08 10:01 AM

Wow, congratulations Lake, it only took you 22 posts to make my ignore list.

lake100 11-21-08 07:25 PM

No one cares, Josh. No one cares if i were to put you on my ignore list or if you put me on your ignore list. That's trivial. People have enough things to do on their own,,,,,sheeeeshhh!

jpb07 11-24-08 03:24 PM

Damn. My BB was hit or miss. Either they had it ready right away or they were unorganized and couldn't find it. In the past year I've probably gotten $100 back because of the guarantee. The ONLY time I felt somewhat bad about it is when i saw the merchandise filed under the wrong name and didn't pipe up until the 60 seconds were up. Easiest $10 I ever made there. now considering how much I spend there in a year, that $100 is probably a small fraction of the profit margin I respresent.

Pizza 11-25-08 12:06 AM

I don't care if they stop it or not seeing how half the time they don't honor it without a fight. I don't usually ask for it, but the last time I did I waited over 20 minutes to get my item. You should have seen the evil stare I got from the girl when I asked about the card. After the stare she went and got the manager and they debated whether I should get one or not. After I stated that I waited over 20 minutes for my item and that was not including the extra 5 minutes they spent debating if I should or shouldn't get the card they finally gave me the card. It's not worth the hassle so they might as well make it official.

big whoppa 12-03-08 01:20 AM

Thanks for the reminder as I wasn't aware of it. BB had tubs filled with BF stuff and the guy behind the counter searched through them to find my movies.

JP5683 12-03-08 02:21 AM

I did the store pickup on a TV on Black Friday, they had tons of that TV in store, it wasn't in the ad, but I got a $50 card for buying online...

Took about 5 minutes.

Ocelot 12-03-08 09:23 AM

So, all that work for $10? NM... i know it's a principle thing, but walking away from such frustration is the best thing. Of course, it's easier to say it than actually doing it :)

the word guarantee was not displayed in the forum menu, hence the curiosity... but no, it's a rant and i should know better.

Feel you OP, but you're not the only one and something like this, BB don't give a rat ass...

asianxcore 01-20-09 10:48 PM

Re: NO MORE Best Buy Store Pickup Guarantee

Don't mind that this guarantee is no longer in effect, but I wish they would separate "In Store Pickup" lines from "Returns/Exchanges" lines.

When I got off work tonight, I was hoping to just go in and grab my order from the "In Store Pickup" line and leave. I ended up being in the main line for over half an hour because the "In Store Pickup" line was the same as all the other lines concerning Customer Service.

A little ridiculous seeing that it defeats the purpose why I would choose "In Store Pickup" in the first place.

I'm usually extremely patient because I've worked retail for over 4 years, but this was something that really annoyed me.

DVD Josh 01-21-09 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 9212538)
Don't mind that this guarantee is no longer in effect, but I wish they would separate "In Store Pickup" lines from "Returns/Exchanges" lines.

When I got off work tonight, I was hoping to just go in and grab my order from the "In Store Pickup" line and leave. I ended up being in the main line for over half an hour because the "In Store Pickup" line was the same as all the other lines concerning Customer Service.

A little ridiculous seeing that it defeats the purpose why I would choose "In Store Pickup" in the first place.

I'm usually extremely patient because I've worked retail for over 4 years, but this was something that really annoyed me.

Must be a store specific thing, as the two I've gone to recently both have dedicated pickup lines during the return season.

fujishig 01-21-09 11:22 AM

I usually see a dedicated pickup line, but either nobody is manning it, or the same people running returns are running pickup, so you have to wait either way. A few times, I was the only one waiting in that line, and watched people who came to the customer service line after me get served first.

jjcool 01-21-09 12:22 PM

My local store has a dedicated register for store pickup. The probklem is you have to pass the returns area to get to it. So basicly you have to wait in the one line for both until you get to the front. I have gotten many a mean spirited stare for cutting to the front of the return line because I was simply doing a pickup.

asianxcore 01-22-09 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 9213179)
Must be a store specific thing, as the two I've gone to recently both have dedicated pickup lines during the return season.

There was signage for "In Store Pickup" but the combination of being under-staffed and lack of communication between staff members made it a nightmare.

I realize stores are understaffed post X-Mas season, but it was a little ridiculous.

I was hoping after I had spoken to a supervisor/manager about picking up my order after waiting 30+ minutes, someone might have been called up (or maybe he would do it himself), but to no avail.

hindolio 01-23-09 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 9215254)
...I was hoping after I had spoken to a supervisor/manager about picking up my order after waiting 30+ minutes, someone might have been called up (or maybe he would do it himself), but to no avail.

in my limited experience, if you want to vent, its best to call bestbuy corporate or log a complaint online. ive actually had a customer service rep call me by telephone after having done so.