DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Stupid and smug salespeople at Entertainment Outlet (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/543003-stupid-smug-salespeople-entertainment-outlet.html)

zoomgirl 11-04-08 02:55 PM

Stupid and smug salespeople at Entertainment Outlet

I am not sure if there are Entertainment Outlet's outside of New York...but sometimes they have really great bargains there. Today I stopped by and decided to ask if they bought DVD's as well (they do)
I asked them "How much would you pay for a sealed copy of Batman the Animated Series? "

Them (there were two sales people at the counter) : Which one?
Me: Do you mean which Volume?
They look at each other....."No, which animated series...there are like 6 of them"
Me: No, I mean Batman the Animated Series...not Batman Beyond and not The Batman.
Them: Blank stare...One of them starts shaking his head...with a deep sigh...yeah, that still doesn't help me to tell me which one.
Me: Okay, it is the original series that Paul Dini and Bruce Timm produced...the one where Mark Hamill did the voice of the Joker, that came out in the early 90's on Kid's Fox Five.
Them: 5 dollars
Me: For which volume?
Them: For any of the Batman cartoons that you mean.

Nice! :hairpull::mad2::gah:

Yeah, okay...

wildman1037 11-04-08 03:07 PM

Never heard of Entertainment Outlet, but unfortunately, your experience sounds like a lot of customer (dis)service encounters these days.

Maybe stores should start implementing more commission based salary plans. Then we may start seeing more helpful salespeople.

pinata242 11-04-08 03:16 PM

So it was $5 for any of them? If so, why the douchebaggery run-around if it didn't matter which series or volume?

zoomgirl 11-04-08 03:29 PM

I honestly think they were just trying to get rid of me at that point....:banana:

No worries, I would rather give them away as gifts to my nephew for Xmas if that is the case. I was just trying to lighten the damage...cause I want the collector set!

asianxcore 11-04-08 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by wildman1037 (Post 9049905)
Maybe stores should start implementing more commission based salary plans. Then we may start seeing more helpful salespeople.

If I worked on commission on my supervisor pay, I would make a hell of a lot more than I do.

What we need is less young people in the work place who have mommy and daddy as an out. We need less young people who are only working at a store because mommy and daddy said they need to.

As a supervisor I find that (obviously) the associates that work for me that are helpful, positive and hard working are ones that actually want to be there. The ones that actually need every bit of their paycheck and love to earn that check every 2 weeks.

marty888 11-09-08 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by zoomgirl (Post 9049863)
I am not sure if there are Entertainment Outlet's outside of New York...

I think the rest of the country has been spared - I'm only aware of the two Manhattan locations. They have more bad bootlegs than any retail store I have ever encountered. Several years ago, when the OOP Criterion Salo was still getting megabucks on eBay, they had stacks of "criterion Salo" for $18.99
Yeah, right!

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 11-09-08 04:48 PM

I'm not sure which is worse, a retail worker who gives blank stares because they don't know what's going on or the retail worker who at least gives the appearance that they know what's going on, and really thinks they do, but actually doesn't know what's going on.

I had a guy at circuit city tell me I couldn't plug a DVD player straight into the tv. It had to go through a receiver or the image would get dark and light repeatedly. I knew exactly what he was talking about when he said that. It's what happens if one plugs a DVD player into the inputs on a VCR and the macrovision gets set off. I could tell he wasn't lying, he just didn't know any better.

Same with the lady at Toys R Us that told me you couldn't play GBA games on a Nintendo DS. It had been a few months since they came out and it was obvious it was something she just assumed. I explained to her you can, she said I couldn't, I told her you can because I've been doing it since there's a slot for it.

I prefer those types. Even though they don't know anything, you can still buy something.

With the person that gives the blank stare, you're stuck and can't continue the transaction until their brain resets which could take a long time if it's contagious and infects anyone else that tries to help.