DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   UPS - This is absolutely ridiculous (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/540397-ups-absolutely-ridiculous.html)

argh923 09-25-08 02:19 AM

UPS - This is absolutely ridiculous

So I had a couple of preordered Blu-Rays from Amazon that shipped on Monday. Both Amazon's email and UPS's tracking indicated at the time they had a scheduled delivery for Tuesday.

When tracking the package, there's an arrival scan at 1:15 AM on 9/23 in Indianapolis, IN (about 45 minutes south of me). The tracking hasn't been updated since that time. Annoyed, I decided to call UPS.

I'm told by the CSR that I need to call Amazon.

I explain that this is in no way Amazon's fault, and that it's clearly a UPS issue, since the package is simply sitting in their distribution center.

She tells me...to call Amazon. That Amazon has to contact UPS.

I explain that the items were supposed to be delivered yesterday, and that I don't feel like I should have to contact Amazon, wait for them to contact UPS, and then wait for UPS to respond.

She tells me...to call Amazon. That Amazon has to contact UPS.

So now I'm pissed, and ask for a supervisor.

Supervisor comes on, and repeats the same. I ask for the phone # to the Indianapolis center...she says they don't have one. I call her out on that lie, since I've been contacted by both the Muncie center AND the Indianapolis center before (due to a previous package that UPS had lost). She says nope, it's an internal number and she can't give it out.

I'm annoyed, and say fine, just transfer me so that you don't have to give me the number. Her response? Nope, can't do that either, they don't take incoming calls. So now I'm really pissed off. I tell her, fine, I'll call Amazon, but can't you at least contact the Indianapolis center on your own, and notify them so they can investigate while they're waiting to hear from Amazon?

Nope. I need to call Amazon.

So I'm furious, I hang up and call Amazon. The wonderful CSR I talked to put me on hold to call UPS...came back 5 minutes later, and said that they could not give her any sort of update on what's going on with the package. :rolleyes: She was nice enough to send out a brand new order and upgrade it to overnight shipping, but...

I'm still appalled and pissed off at UPS. Any suggestions on how to make them accountable for their mistake and get them to do something about it?

Mikael79 09-25-08 10:55 AM

I've had some success with calling up the BBB and having them on the phone with me to ensure that the company I'm having issues with will release all of the information needed to file a report with the BBB.

You should hear their tone when I say "Hello, Betty. I have the Better Business Bureau on the line with us right now, and I'd like to gather the information needed to file a report against your company."

Only once did I actually have to carry through with my complaint filing after saying that, and the company (Best Buy) ended up giving me what I deserved, plus more.

My Other Self 09-25-08 11:54 AM

UPS is hit or miss. I've had really good luck and really bad luck with them.

Unless it's coming overnight I always opt for USPS shipping if I have the option.

Me007gold 09-25-08 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 8962432)
UPS is hit or miss. I've had really good luck and really bad luck with them.

Unless it's coming overnight I always opt for USPS shipping if I have the option.

Yep, Its faster, cheaper and way more reliable.

JustinCleveland 09-25-08 12:51 PM

Ditto. I've had to go to the UPS center to pick up some minor package that needed to be signed for (a letter or something ridiculous) and other times had UPS drop hundreds of dollars of electronics at my front door in the rain for several hours, despite it also requiring a signature. I developed a relationship with the UPS guy where I lived/worked a few years ago so he would just drop stuff off for me at work (they were three blocks apart).

It's very hit-or-miss. For all but the big items, I'll have it shipped by the post office. So much less muss.

argh923 09-25-08 12:57 PM

I actually just decided to say screw it, and went ahead and filed a complaint with the BBB.

pinata242 09-25-08 12:59 PM

I've had the same issue when UPS lost something en route to me in one of their own centers. Went through the same frustration and confusion as you, but the logic here is that while you are technically out, it is the shipper that needs to file the lost item claim. They ship an identical item and UPS reimburses them, not you.

You're just out the time and convenience. It's weird because UPS has the money for the first shipment, though they didn't deliver and the shipper has your money because they've shipped it. Their end of the contract with UPS is technically over and UPS' own tracking system confirms that.

Sadly, there's nothing you can do under this system but to hope the shipper is familiar enough with UPS' policies and willing to work with you. Of course it is in their benefit to because they're technically selling the item twice - once to you and once to UPS.

Moopher 09-25-08 01:23 PM

Yeah, UPS is...just garbage. I'm really not pleased with them, I have been in waiting just about a month now to recieve just a few movies because of where they decided to leave a package of mine...luckily WHV was pretty helpful in the end with sending me a new package. This one will be coming USPS.

argh923 09-25-08 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 8962657)
I've had the same issue when UPS lost something en route to me in one of their own centers. Went through the same frustration and confusion as you, but the logic here is that while you are technically out, it is the shipper that needs to file the lost item claim. They ship an identical item and UPS reimburses them, not you.

You're just out the time and convenience. It's weird because UPS has the money for the first shipment, though they didn't deliver and the shipper has your money because they've shipped it. Their end of the contract with UPS is technically over and UPS' own tracking system confirms that.

Sadly, there's nothing you can do under this system but to hope the shipper is familiar enough with UPS' policies and willing to work with you. Of course it is in their benefit to because they're technically selling the item twice - once to you and once to UPS.

And I understand all that. There's two problems:

#1.) They should STILL have the basic concept of customer service down enough to call the Indianapolis center and say, "Hey, look for this item please, we have a customer that's waiting on it and we've dropped the ball"

#2.) Amazon already contacted them. They wouldn't give Amazon any information either.

civiclx 09-25-08 02:56 PM

I've had pretty good luck with UPS but I work for the USPS so I say everyone should use them as often as possible:)

I'm actually expecting a pacakge to be delivered from Mexico today via UPS and one from china on the 30th. fingers are crossed...

Jtheo 09-25-08 04:39 PM

I've never had a problem with UPS, great service. I should research how much I've spent at just Amazon, which have always used UPS for my deliveries. I couldn't be happier.

The USPS on the other hand is an absolute joke where I live. I've had 3 lost packages the past four months and their attitude is absolutely horrendous. They don't seem to care in the least. I have filed complaints and they have done nothing. It isn't my fault they can't deliver a package to the correct address. Still weighing my options against the USPS.

Mikael79 09-25-08 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jtheo (Post 8963243)
The USPS on the other hand is an absolute joke where I live. I've had 3 lost packages the past four months and their attitude is absolutely horrendous. They don't seem to care in the least. I have filed complaints and they have done nothing. It isn't my fault they can't deliver a package to the correct address. Still weighing my options against the USPS.

At least with the USPS, you know it's the government and expectations are naturally pretty low. UPS is supposed to care about customer service and reputation.

JustinCleveland 09-26-08 08:27 AM

USPS isn't technically a government agency, as established by a 2004 anti-trust ruling.

reverie 09-26-08 11:05 AM

My current amusement with UPS is that whenever I get a box, they'll put it on my front porch, and throw the little doormat over top of it as if it's supposed to be hidden then. The first time this happened, we we're pulling up and wondered what the heck was on the porch! Now were just stupidly amused that the UPS person thinks they're covering it up so no one can tell it's a box.

My Other Self 09-26-08 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland (Post 8964327)
USPS isn't technically a government agency, as established by a 2004 anti-trust ruling.

That's when the website changed from USPS.gov to USPS.com

JustinCleveland 09-26-08 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by reverie (Post 8964723)
My current amusement with UPS is that whenever I get a box, they'll put it on my front porch, and throw the little doormat over top of it as if it's supposed to be hidden then. The first time this happened, we we're pulling up and wondered what the heck was on the porch! Now were just stupidly amused that the UPS person thinks they're covering it up so no one can tell it's a box.

They used to do the same for me! I lived in a townhouse that ran along a street. And there would be a giant box (books, what have you) that had my welcome mat draped over it. It was hilarious.

bunkaroo 09-26-08 01:55 PM

It sucks when this happens, but you are never going to get a phone number to one of these hubs or package centers unless you have the authorities asking.

Assuming these places haven't changed much from when I worked there, there is no customer service desk attached to most of the centers, and even if there is, they can't go running back there to look for one package that's a day or two late. If they did solicit these calls they'd never get anything done.

And if by some miracle you did have a direct number into the hub, it would probably just be someone's desk phone which no one would answer because they're out on the floor somewhere.

Bottom line is, the more packages you have shipped, the more likely something will be screwed up. Eventually the odds catch up.

I know it's infuriating because I get weekly packages from Amazon and UPS does screw up somewhat frequently. I had 5 packages as Out For Delivery all day once and all of a sudden at 7pm they show as "package held up at hub". I called them and told them they should be straight with people and simply say the package car driver ran out of time, because that's EXACTLY what happened.

argh923 09-26-08 02:30 PM

I'm actually going to go back through my cell phone bill from a couple of months ago and pull the #s for both of those hubs.

Like I said, the way I look at this situation is - UPS stole my package. They refused to investigate the matter after being contacted by both myself and by Amazon. My complaint to the BBB is now in - we'll see what that does.

bunkaroo 09-26-08 03:15 PM

So just to clarify, did you not never get the original shipment? I know they shipped a replacement, but if the package never showed up at all, that sucks. But since Amazon is shouldering the cost for that, I'm not sure what response UPS will give you directly.

I've now had hundreds of movies shipped to me by Amazon in the past 2 years, and I would not be exaggerating to say 30-40% of them are packaged poorly and are usually half open when I get them. They put the movies in boxes which are too big, and the tops cave in because it's just empty space. People can then see what's in there and if it tickles their fancy....there you go.

argh923 09-26-08 03:17 PM

Right, I didn't get the original shipment. I received the replacement, but at this point it's the principle to me, and it's about accountability.

Here's the tracking # for the original:

1Z 411 E0W 03 2227 250 3

spainlinx0 09-26-08 04:11 PM

That doormat trick has also happened to me. I remember pulling up to my apartment and wondering who kicked up my doormat, and why they left it that way. It actually annoyed me a little thinking how rude that person must be. As I got closer I realized there was a package under it. I just had to laugh.

Kevin M. Dean 09-26-08 06:36 PM

I've had big boxes before with a floormat sitting on top 2 feet in the air. There must be a company mandate to do this. UPS boxes almost always come beat to hell. Luckily I get most of my stuff via USPS which rarely ever has a problem here.

JB7 09-26-08 06:53 PM

What gets me is two years ago I got a DVD Recorder. It was shipped in the original box and was left of the front porch all day long until dark. We have a big porch and have a corner because the garage is right there. One would think they could put it there so it is hidden mostly? Nope, right outside the door out in the open. Where everyone driving by can see it. BIG BOLD LETTERS PANASONIC. Should have said...come steal me I am expensive.

bunkaroo 09-26-08 07:32 PM

At this point the box is either in the trash, stolen or lodged in the machinery somewhere. If it had been missorted it would have tracked somewhere else by now.

Quack 09-26-08 07:46 PM

I don't really like UPS either. My brother and I have had them come to our apartment front door, and NOT ring the doorbell and just leave a notice. The doorbell with the apartment number and they are that lazy not to wait and just leave a freaking ticket.