DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Bootleg From Blockbuster? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/539307-bootleg-blockbuster.html)

My Other Self 09-09-08 12:40 AM

Bootleg From Blockbuster?

I got a bunch of movies from the Blockbuster sale in August. One of my DVDs was SNL: The Best of Adam Sandler. Now, I have two other "Best-of" discs, and the disc art does not match this in the least. This particular DVD has a cheap white label on the top of it with the title of the DVD and some copyright warning along with the Lionsgate Logo. I attached a pic below.

http://i37.tinypic.com/29wsq9w.jpg

It came in a legit case, but the disc itself looks highly questionable. Does anyone else's copy of this look like that? I find it hard to believe Lionsgate would press the other disc art all the same then this one just bleh. I could make better label art myself.

I'm just curious. Kind of weird since Blockbuster is very reputable.

EdTheRipper 09-09-08 03:52 AM

Maybe it's just a rental version? I know that sometimes Netflix has discs with artwork that is different than retail releases.

DVDtotalfreal 09-09-08 05:48 AM

Probably is just a rental copy. Flip the disc over. If you see a purplish color you are looking at a bootleg.

Alan Smithee 09-09-08 07:36 AM

I got a "House of 1000 Corpses" disc at Best Buy with a similar-looking label. Most likely isn't a bootleg, but sure looks cheap.

old-boo-radley 09-09-08 09:23 AM

I have a DVD that looks like that, I just can't remember which it is. I remember opening it, looking at it and thinking, wow, I've seen cheap boots done better than that!

Chrisedge 09-09-08 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by DVDtotalfreal (Post 8927167)
Probably is just a rental copy. Flip the disc over. If you see a purplish color you are looking at a bootleg.

Not true, I have printable "silver" dvdr's that I buy all the time. Not quite the same silver, but very close. (mine have a SLIGHT silver/yellow tint to them, not purple at all)

rich-y 09-09-08 12:55 PM

I recently rented NATURAL BORN KILLERS from Netflix and the disc looked exactly like the one you posted. The only difference was the title.

It's not a bootleg.

DVDtotalfreal 09-10-08 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge (Post 8927630)
Not true, I have printable "silver" dvdr's that I buy all the time. Not quite the same silver, but very close. (mine have a SLIGHT silver/yellow tint to them, not purple at all)

The purple tint is after you burn on them. I have never seen the yellow silver tint. Weird!! I have seen a lot of different media.

DeanoBKN 09-10-08 11:40 AM

I bought a DVD of Conan O'Brien and his Insult Dog, and 2nd disc looked just like that. Not a bootleg at all.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 09-11-08 10:14 AM

my copy of Borat looks pretty cheap too

JustinCleveland 09-11-08 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lunatikk (Post 8932071)
my copy of Borat looks pretty cheap too

And my case was printed in a foreign language. Wonder if that's a bootleg... hmmm... ;)

Chrisedge 09-11-08 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by DVDtotalfreal (Post 8929377)
The purple tint is after you burn on them. I have never seen the yellow silver tint. Weird!! I have seen a lot of different media.

Not to argue, but the purple ones are purple before you burn them too. I have many of those as well.

fsujosh 09-11-08 08:06 PM

natural born killers is a lionsgate dvd, so it's not a bootleg. i just checked my copy of nbk and it looks exactly the same, and i bought it at circuit city. that's just what the dvds look like.

The Cow 09-11-08 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge (Post 8932593)
Not to argue, but the purple ones are purple before you burn them too. I have many of those as well.

The point is that if it's purple, it's probably a boot.

If it's not purple, it still could be a bootleg of another color as you mentioned, but I've never seen a purple non-boot.

rich-y 09-12-08 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by fsujosh (Post 8933399)
natural born killers is a lionsgate dvd, so it's not a bootleg. i just checked my copy of nbk and it looks exactly the same, and i bought it at circuit city. that's just what the dvds look like.

That was my point. I guess it would have helped if I had said that in my post above. Ha!

I've edited it to reflect this.