Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Damn Amazon.uk and USPS Rock!

Old 08-21-08, 08:16 PM

Damn Amazon.uk and USPS Rock!

I ordered some CDs and DVDs from amazon.uk on the 18th and they were sent out on the 19th. I just picked them up at the post office today. That's UK------->California in 3 days!!! That's very impressive if you ask me
Old 08-21-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why did you shop UK if you're in America? Cheaper stuff on something you wanted there?
Old 08-21-08, 10:11 PM

there were a few things that I wanted there. I also ordered from amazon france and amazon china. amazon france was pretty quick. I have done plenty of ordering from amazon's US site though also. all their sites seem to be very reliable
Old 08-22-08, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unique stuff? The shipping has to be pretty expensive if they ship from those countries.
Old 08-22-08, 02:22 AM

hmm...the shipping isn't too bad. the package that I received today contained 4 dvds and 2 cds I think. I just kind of got into collecting and now I'm looking for imported versions of US cds. Just something a little different...sometimes a European version might have different packaging or some extra songs perhaps. The shipping for this latest order was 8.03 pounds so I would guess that's about $16. I think the pound is a little more than a Euro.
I wouldn't use amazon.uk to buy American products.
Old 08-22-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
Why did you shop UK if you're in America? Cheaper stuff on something you wanted there?
There are 3 reasons to shop internationally: better release than what we have in R1, not available in R1, or cheaper than R1.

I placed an order with Amazon UK earlier this week for 7 movies: 4 not available here, 1 is a better (not pan-and-scan) version, and 2 are cheaper.

The total including shipping was GBP34.16 which showed up on my CC as USD63.34 - and average of $9.05 per DVD.
Old 08-22-08, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by civiclx View Post
I ordered some CDs and DVDs from amazon.uk on the 18th and they were sent out on the 19th. I just picked them up at the post office today. That's UK------->California in 3 days!!! That's very impressive if you ask me
Isn't that freakish, Mike?! When I first started ordering online (and was living in MI), I used skivhugget.se to order some Swedish CDs. From Sweden to MI in less than a week just blew my mind. I remember doing mail order way back when and it took forever and could be fairly expensive!

Sue
Old 08-22-08, 09:06 PM

hey what's up Sue? I'm trying to slow down my ordering but there are so many things I still want. I should have 3 cds (2 Coldplay singles and 1 Ana Nalick cd Japan version) coming from importcds. Just received an order from cdjapan the other day as well...same day as the amazon.uk I think. Still waiting on amazon.cn, maybe another week or so.

I'm going to have to check that skivhugget.se out. Do you know if they're still up and running?

did you get your cds yet marty?
Old 08-22-08, 09:22 PM

And yet it takes nearly two weeks to get a DVD from DeepDiscount, whose processing facility is a four hour drive from my doorstep. Go figure.
Old 08-22-08, 10:00 PM

hey what's up Sue? I'm trying to slow down my ordering but there are so many things I still want. I should have 3 cds (2 Coldplay singles and 1 Ana Nalick cd Japan version) coming from importcds. Just received an order from cdjapan the other day as well...same day as the amazon.uk I think. Still waiting on amazon.cn, maybe another week or so.

I'm going to have to check that skivhugget.se out. Do you know if they're still up and running?
I'm doing okay. You? I did slow down my ordering also. I just bought two DVD recorders. I tested one on a car race (2 hour setting) and I'm not impressed. The other I'm going to use to archive some tapes. If I don't like how it archives then I'll shove that one over to the TV and see how it does.

The only CD that I've purchased was My Girl: The Very Best of the Temptations. I ordered it from Newbury Comics. A very cool CD/stuff store to visit if you're ever around the Boston area and an ace vendor on Amazon.

The international sales portion of skivhugget got sold (or is now handled by) megastore.se. They cost more for product, way more for shipping and have far less choice. Bah!

Have you found a DVD player for foreign movies yet?

Sue
Old 08-22-08, 10:35 PM

hey I am doing well. glad to hear you are too.

well i did order one cd from newbury comics...have heard people mention them and I like how they're also a B&M shop. I have been to Boston back in 99. Loved it there!! stayed two nights in Cambridge and checked out Harvard...very intimidating walking around there and that is when I was in the Marines lol...wasn't into cd "collecting" then like I am now. anyway, i ordered an Australian 2 cd version of Dido's No Angel (sad I'm not even a huge fan of hers yet i've bought like 6 different versions of the same cd...don't judge me!!!

anyway, they sent the American version and I contacted them letting them know about the goof. They sent me the right one and I'm sending the other one back.

I haven't bought a region free dvd player yet but I briefly checked some out on amazon. I don't know much about electronics so I'll just go for a mid-range one I guess.

That's too bad about the skivhugget shop. What are some other shops you suggest? I have recently gotten into imported DVDs...ohhhh my poor wallet!!

for music, i have used amazon, amazon.fr, amazon.uk, amazon.ca, cdjapan, eil.com and that's about it. oh yeah cduniverse as well...all have been just fine. I have also used amazon.cn but the orders haven't been completed. I am thinking about trying amazon.jp and amazon.de as well. I would love to know some other shops in Europe so if you can suggest any, that would be great!!

Last edited by civiclx; 08-22-08 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-23-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland View Post
And yet it takes nearly two weeks to get a DVD from DeepDiscount, whose processing facility is a four hour drive from my doorstep. Go figure.
USPS media mail can be a bitch sometimes!
Old 08-23-08, 05:01 PM

Amazon UK has the best customer service. I use them for books, music and dvds I can't find in the states. The shipping is usually really fast for me. Though the air mail shipping and the weak dollar makes it expensive to do very often.
Old 08-23-08, 05:36 PM

I literally just placed another order with them 110 seconds ago! I also placed an order with amazon.com and used the free super saver shipping and I can almost guarantee that the amazon.uk package will get here first. Their customer service is very good. I actually received two cds that came unwrapped and had small cracks in them. I contacted them about doing a replacement and they said they would ship out two new cds and because the return shipping would be kind of expensive, they said I could just keep the original cds I got. That's great customer service!

I also placed my first order with this Mexican site called mixup.com.mx last night. I got a Dido cd and a Coldplay 2CD version of A Rush of Blood to the Head.
Old 08-28-08, 10:17 PM
Banned

I want the R2 version of Threads (1984 BBC nuke drama). I live in Dallas, but I have a friend who travels to Geneva for work every other month. It will only cost $12 USD from Play.com out of the UK, and they will even ship it to my friend's Geneva office for free. He puts it in his luggage and gives to me in person. I'll probably order a few more to make it worth the trouble. The next cheapest price for Threads is $20 USD or so.
Old 08-29-08, 01:20 AM

i haven't heard of that series but that's an awesome setup you have there. I need some worldwide contacts like you

man amazon.us is sloooooooow when you use the free super saver shipping. I had two UK orders come today that I just placed this week, but the amazon US order won't even ship out until September WTF!

but i did get 2 cds from mexico today a 2cd copy of coldplay's a rush of blood to the head and a remix version of dido's no angel
Old 08-29-08, 01:25 PM

i haven't heard of that series but that's an awesome setup you have there. I need some worldwide contacts like you

man amazon.us is sloooooooow when you use the free super saver shipping. I had two UK orders come today that I just placed this week, but the amazon US order won't even ship out until September WTF!
Patience! Also, I find that Amazon will often ship before they say they are going to do so. I've ordered with the free shipping and they've turned around and sent it out the very next day. I don't know why that happens, I wonder if it depends on which warehouse they are sending from or something like that.

Threads is an incredibly disturbing nuclear war catastrophe film. There was a spate of those kinds of films in the early 80s, of which, Threads was probably the most realistic and devastating.

In other news, I ordered from two Amazon merchants late Tuesday night (the 26th) and received the packages this morning (the 29th) Whee! I placed an order last night with CD Universe for a CD and DVD. It was a crap DVD (just filling out my Jodhi May collection) but the CD is Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators. They got some retro soul goin' on!

Sue
Old 08-29-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon UK is consistently my favorite retailer, the prices flucuate very frequently, so I'm checking the site usually weekly, they ship fast, their customer service is great (the one or two times I had packages go missing, they corrected it right away), it's much better than the US site.
Old 08-29-08, 05:06 PM

hmm...i might have to check that Threads out. Have to see what IMDB says about it too.

I don't think I've ever had something scheduled to take so long from amazon before. I did order a few different things so it would make sense if they had to get them from a few different warehouses. I should have just used the standard shipping or gotten some of the cds from importcds. I wanted to go with the absolute cheapest and while importcds might have been 7.99 for a cd plus 2.98 shipping, amazon would have been 9.99 but offers free shipping.

anyway, i thought you were quitting sue. you just can't bring yourself to do it huh me neither hehe where were the amazon sellers located? I usually look for ones here in California...like IMPORTCDS!!!!!!!! lol i haven't heard of any of the people you go though sue. *looks for emoticon scratching head*

lastdaysofrain-yeah amazon.uk has been awesome except for my very first order. I saw the "Buy New" tag and just assumed the cd was in stock. Well I ordered 2 cds and had them ship together and the one cd was actually a "dispatches in 7-10 days" item. well the dispatch date kept on getting pushed back further and further and eventually i had to cancel it but that wasn't a big deal. I'm still very happy with all of the amazon sites so far. I think my first amazon.cn order should be here tomorrow but I'm hoping it might come today. Actually I think I should just hope that it comes on the scheduled day

hey Sue, did you get my email?
Old 08-29-08, 07:03 PM

oh yeah but I have my PO box and my home address listed so they just put it in the PO box. I actually work for the USPS so I can see how that would save a little time. not having to have a carrier go out and deliver it. Yes amazon.uk can ship right to my door but I like getting stuff at the post office

i haven't forgotten to keep you posted on that amazon.cn order vandelay. I'm also wating for 3 dvds form dvdfromkorea.com and a few dvds from amazon.de so we'll see how that goes.
Old 08-29-08, 10:40 PM

hmm...did you order it from a 3rd-party seller or right from amazon.de? what was the estimated delivery date? my order was shipped on the 25th and it looks like the delivery date is scheduled for the 8th of September.
Where are you from Vandelay? I'm from California myself.
Old 08-31-08, 04:53 PM

did you have it set for receiving everything together or having things arrive in separate shipments? maybe the book you're waiting for was a "dispatches in 5-7 days" or was it in stock when you ordered it? I only ask because I had that happen to me when I placed my first order with amazon.uk

have you contacted amazon.de to find out about it?

I'm still waiting for my first package to arrive from amazon.cn it is becoming very confusing. I'm starting to think I may not get my orders from amazon.cn

In good news, I received two packages from amazon.uk on Thursday I think. I ordered a 2-disc edition of braveheart and found that the case was cracked and dented. I emailed them about sending it back for a replacement and they said they would isuse a new order for the DVD and that I could just keep the original one since it would cost so much to ship back. this is the second time they've done that for me which is really cool. I tend to be very picky about the condition in which my items arrive. I do work for the postal service though so i can see how accidents would happen

well, we'll see what happens with amazon.cn this week. keeping my fingers crossed
Old 08-31-08, 05:03 PM

i haven't contacted their customer service department but I wouldn't think they would do that. It wasn't your fault. I would definitely contact them though and see what they can do or if they have any new information for you.
Old 08-31-08, 05:25 PM

hmm that's weird. so of course now you can't contact DHL since you don't have a tracking number...actually maybe you can. I've had to contact them about this amazon.cn order. I called 800 225 5345 said "track a package" and "i don't have one" when prompted for a tracking number. They can look up orders from the orig city to the destination city. I'm not sure where amazon.de's fulfillment center is but i think that would be the city you would pick and then the city that you have the books going to. it's worth a try.

i haven't read or heard anything about account cancellations. so if they cancel your amazon.de account, your amazon.com and amazon.uk accounts are still good aren't they?
Old 09-01-08, 02:10 AM

i didn't read every post in that thread but I read the first one and I could see that happening. Like just an example would be if a customer was always saying that he never received a pacakge and requested a refund or a new one. something like that. that's why I don't want to complain too much about receiving things. I know it seems anal, but I've requested replacements because cd cases had tiny cracks in them. I bought new/perfect and new/perfect is what I want. I also don't want to get my account closed though

Well amazon.cn emailed me back, in English, (yeaaaah) and they said they sent the particular order out on the 10th so I guess DHL has had it all this time. I'll see what happens by the end of the week.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.