Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Stop lying to me, Mr. Store Clerk

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 11:41 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Why do clerks in stores seem to have this pathological need to lie to me?

Sometimes, when I go to a store and ask a question they don't know the answer to, they will admit they don't know the answer. Sometimes, they will just make something up. This seems to be particularly true at Best Buy. I don't know -- maybe it's store policy.

My modem crapped out on me last week, so I bought a new one Sunday. The one I bought was a combination modem/wireless router. I thought "Great -- one less piece of equipment cluttering up my desk" and bought it. The modem part worked great. The wireless router part sucked. I was getting next to no signal in the next room over, wheras my old router was giving me a perfect signal anywhere in the house.

So I stopped at Best Buy last night to see what my options were and the salesman explained that my problem was that I live in the city. You see, he explained, everyone lives so close together that when I took down my old router, somebody else was immediately able to jump on the bandwidth, such that it was no longer available for me.

This is so mind-bogglingly, stupidly wrong, that I don't even know where to begin. I nodded politely, thanked him for his time, and found a different clerk who hooked me up with a different modem. New modem plus old router are now working like a charm with perfect signal strength (even though I live in the city!)

Another time, the Best Buy clerk explained to me that they were not allowed to accept returns on DVDs without receipts because of copyright laws. Of course. She must have been referring to the Best Buy Suck-Ass Return Policy Act of 2003.

And so, I close this post with a plea to retail employees everywhere: stop making shit up!
Old 08-06-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should have called him out on his retardedness. That just makes no sense.
Old 08-06-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In the city there are all sorts of restrictions for the air waves. Things like radio stations, cell phones, wireless routers and Over-the-air tv. You could hold on to your previous router until over-the-air tv goes away soon and that would probably open up some bandwidth. But the hands-free device laws for drivers are only adding to the interference, so it will probably get worse before it gets better. Your old modem probably didn't conform to 2008 standards in your city. It's actually illegal to run those now but it is rarely enforced. Also, printer ink is 10% off right now if you get our rewards card.
Old 08-06-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of store clerks, why do they ask you if you found everything OK, when they really don't care if you did?
Old 08-06-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts
In fairness, I'm sure there are store associates who could begin a thread titled "Stop lying to me, Mr. Customer"

In fact, how do we know that you're telling the truth?
Old 08-06-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe it is more the culture of the store than anything else.

Best Buy just sells stuff, you yourself went there to buy stuff. Nowhere in their advertising or product selection does it say anything about knowledgeable salespeople.
Old 08-06-08, 12:02 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Did you set the channel of the new wireless to be the same as the one your old one was using?
Old 08-06-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Why do clerks in stores seem to have this pathological need to lie to me?

So I stopped at Best Buy last night to see what my options were and the salesman explained that my problem was that I live in the city. You see, he explained, everyone lives so close together that when I took down my old router, somebody else was immediately able to jump on the bandwidth, such that it was no longer available for me.

I went to the store one time, and said i wanted X. The CSR looked around for a minute or two, and said she couldn't find it, but that I wanted Y. ok, fine whatever. i walked about 200 ft and saw a huge display of X.
Old 08-06-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I believe it is more the culture of the store than anything else.

Best Buy just sells stuff, you yourself went there to buy stuff. Nowhere in their advertising or product selection does it say anything about knowledgeable salespeople.
Above all, they want to know that our employees and company are trustworthy, responsible and committed to their communities.
http://www.bestbuyinc.com/assets/cor...2008_Final.pdf

OVERVIEW OF KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT INITIATIVE
Best Buy has a young and mobile work force that sells to and services a rapidly
changing mix of high-tech and trendy products. With a vision of becoming a true
learning organization, Best Buy developed an enterprise knowledge management
strategy that originally focused on communities of practice, but in less than two years
has evolved to encompass a broader array of retained knowledge, best practices, and
tools that surround and support the communities, known as the employee toolkit.
Best Buy wants to be the “employer of choice,” and its knowledge management initiative
contributes to that objective. High turnover is an unfortunate reality in retail.
Turnover in the Best Buy stores averages about 93 percent per year, which is usual
for sales associates in a retail environment. It creates a constant challenge to bring

new associates up-to-speed quickly and make up for the loss of people and acquired
knowledge when they leave. Best Buy’s rapid growth accentuates the problem, as
experienced employees are quickly promoted to new positions.
The goal of knowledge management in Best Buy is to create a replicable community
of practice methodology (concerning people, process, and systems) to launch
and sustain enterprisewide communities of practice within a sales category (such as
computers or mobile installation), across all the stores. Even though the work force
would rapidly change, the value proposition went, the knowledge of the community
would remain and grow. The knowledge a sales associate gained from being part of a
community of practice would also help he or she become productive faster (a “smart
friend to customers” in the jargon of Best Buy), increase sales, and perhaps even reduce
turnover. When an employee did leave, the insights, “tips,” and knowledge shared by
that associate would remain the knowledge of the community and Best Buy.
Starting with three pilots in 2000, Best Buy created a replicable methodology for
communities of practice that expanded to all of Best Buy’s stores nationwide (via six
large communities) and is now expanding to the extended enterprise (corporate and
other business units). The communities are now provided a complete employee toolkit
that includes training, tracking, and product information to accelerate associates’
sales proficiency and reduce “time to competency.” Best Buy developed a balanced
scorecard measurement system for retail knowledge-sharing activities and results.
http://www.apqc.org/PDF/incentives/c...dy_bestbuy.pdf
Old 08-06-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D.Pham00

I went to the store one time, and said i wanted X. The CSR looked around for a minute or two, and said she couldn't find it, but that I wanted Y. ok, fine whatever. i walked about 200 ft and saw a huge display of X.
I didn't know they sell drugs at Best Buy!
Old 08-06-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So nice, he had to say it twice!
Old 08-06-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aw, he deleted it.
Old 08-06-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

High turnover is an unfortunate reality in retail.
Given the stories my son would tell me when he worked there, alot of their turnover is from their own doing.

Again, that store exists for one purpose, to sell stuff.
Old 08-06-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall a sales associate at Best Buy trying to get my sister to have the Geek Squad create a Restore disc for her NEW PC purchase. It was going to be around $30 and he explained about various things out in cyberspace that would cause problems with the PC and how newer PCs don't include Restore discs. He himself had a similar model and his Restore discs had come in quite convenient on numerous occasions -- perhaps 10+ times he explained.

On my advice, my sister declined the offer. Unpacking the computer at home, what do we find among the included contents but the manufacturer Restore discs.
Old 08-06-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
This brief instructional video will answer all your questions -- and more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y0QQcex5L8
Old 08-06-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon

Again, that store exists for one purpose, to sell stuff.
Agreed. This is how things should be bought:

1. Do your own research
2. Find product that best suits you
3. Go to Best Buy and buy item.

Boom. You just made a transaction with Best Buy without having to talk to a bunch of idiots.

Then again its just funny to ask those employees hard questions just to fuck with them.
Old 08-06-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Agreed. This is how things should be bought:

1. Do your own research
2. Find product that best suits you
3. Go to Best Buy and LOOK at item.
4. Buy online for the best price

I despise that place. They are a total blight on the world of consumer electronics. The spread fear and misinformation and they simply don't care.

The entire industry would be better off if they folded.
Old 08-06-08, 02:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Did you set the channel of the new wireless to be the same as the one your old one was using?
I tried all 11 channels. None of them gave me better than about 20% signal when I took my laptop into the next room over.

My once and future router gives me 80-90% signal (I have no idea which channel its on).
Old 08-06-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a Circuit City employee once tell me that most electronics won't work unless you buy Monster Cables.

Knowing this was BS I enjoyed asking him for further details and hearing some of the funniest techno babble ever spoken.

Finally I said "well if these non-monster cable audio cables don't work, why do you sell them?" and he was like "well we really don't....legally we have to offer alternatives to the Monster Cables....it's just for legal reasons"
Old 08-07-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Have you guys ever met a major chain retail employee who didn't "talk out of their ass"? Most people I know who work in these types of stores try to sound smarter than they really are. I think "we" (i.e. DVD Talk people) just notice this more in places like Best Buy because most of us "know our stuff". It's pretty much happening in all of retail though. I'm sure the guy at Home Depot is an idiot too, but since I know nothing about home improvement, he sounds smart to me.
Old 08-07-08, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Have you guys ever met a major chain retail employee who didn't "talk out of their ass"? Most people I know who work in these types of stores try to sound smarter than they really are. I think "we" (i.e. DVD Talk people) just notice this more in places like Best Buy because most of us "know our stuff". It's pretty much happening in all of retail though. I'm sure the guy at Home Depot is an idiot too, but since I know nothing about home improvement, he sounds smart to me.
Exactly Shannon. I used to work at a hardware store, at first I would admit to customers that I knew nothing, then after awhile I found out that if I just sound like I know what I was talking about people would believe me. Don't worry, nobody got hurt. And you know what, I actually picked up various information from customers all the time, by the time I stopped working there I think I really do know my stuff about hardware/home improvment. I'm sure it that way in all retail stores.
Old 08-07-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have worked for Best Buy in the past and we were told to lie to customers to get them to buy accessories. This guy with his "city" excuse, however, a) is trying to get you to buy another router or worse, a "signal booster" or b)simply assumes you're an idiot and wants you to buy something just to go away, whether or not you come back another day or just decide it's not worth coming back again.
Old 08-07-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "saying whatever to sell stuff" thing is what led to the bulk of my problems when I worked at Best Buy.

I'm not much of a salesman and I'm a straight shooter when it comes to answering questions. Both are bad things when your bosses want you to meet "percentages".
Old 08-08-08, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
You should have called 911.
No, please don't do that! We need to keep the emergency lines open for people who didn't get enough sauce.
Old 08-08-08, 08:38 AM

I used to work at Sears in the hardware department. They provided little training and 10% of it was on the product.
My manager hate how I sold stuff.
Customer: will the air compressor allow me to blah blah blah
Me: I don't see why not, if it doesn't work just bring it back, our return policy is ....

Most the time if I just looked at the tags the customers would answer their own questions. Its mostly because of poor training though, most the training you go through is very vague on what you do. Most of its company policies, how stealing affects revenue, how not to hurt yourself and not to sexual harass anyone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.