Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Stop lying to me, Mr. Store Clerk

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Stop lying to me, Mr. Store Clerk

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I honestly don't remember any product training from working at Best Buy. I remember plenty of training on how to sell service plans. I also remember going to a day long seminar all about the wonders of Monster cable. I recall at one point they had hooked up a receiver to two different speakers. One with extremely thick Monster cable, and the other with basically string. This was in an effort to "demonstrate" how much more effective Monster Cable was.

I also loved that the one of the slides was the founder of Monster Cable standing next to his Ferrari. I guess this was another one of their demonstrations of quality. Of course the people from Monster learned that we don't make commission, and their faces dropped. Who wants to push product as hard when you don't get a cut? I certainly didn't.
Old 08-08-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Why do clerks in stores seem to have this pathological need to lie to me?

Sometimes, when I go to a store and ask a question they don't know the answer to, they will admit they don't know the answer. Sometimes, they will just make something up. This seems to be particularly true at Best Buy. I don't know -- maybe it's store policy.

My modem crapped out on me last week, so I bought a new one Sunday. The one I bought was a combination modem/wireless router. I thought "Great -- one less piece of equipment cluttering up my desk" and bought it. The modem part worked great. The wireless router part sucked. I was getting next to no signal in the next room over, wheras my old router was giving me a perfect signal anywhere in the house.

So I stopped at Best Buy last night to see what my options were and the salesman explained that my problem was that I live in the city. You see, he explained, everyone lives so close together that when I took down my old router, somebody else was immediately able to jump on the bandwidth, such that it was no longer available for me.

This is so mind-bogglingly, stupidly wrong, that I don't even know where to begin. I nodded politely, thanked him for his time, and found a different clerk who hooked me up with a different modem. New modem plus old router are now working like a charm with perfect signal strength (even though I live in the city!)

Another time, the Best Buy clerk explained to me that they were not allowed to accept returns on DVDs without receipts because of copyright laws. Of course. She must have been referring to the Best Buy Suck-Ass Return Policy Act of 2003.

And so, I close this post with a plea to retail employees everywhere: stop making shit up!
If you start with the presumption that everything the sales clerk tells you is wrong, you'll never be disappointed, and you'll occasionally be pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-08-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Reminds me of helping a friend buy a LCD HD TV, from Best Buy. It was a clearance special that Speedy had posted (thanks Speedy!) We had already made our minds up to get it, researched it online, etc. But when we got there the fact card said 720, even though online said 1080i.

I asked random asshole if he knew the resolution for the TV, just to be sure.
*reads fact card* "Its 720"
"Really because I read online that its 1080i"
"Nope you read wrong its 720"
"Well can you check for me?"
"No the fact cards are not wrong"

By this time, after working 2 years in Walmart electronics I knew I was being lied too. I remembered that when you turn the channel, a HD set will display the resolution. So I just turned the channel up 1, and sure enough 1080i was displayed.

"so whats that?"
"Its still 720, its just up converting to 1080i"

At this point i said something rude that I cant remember and that we'd take the TV. Good times.
Old 08-08-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I honestly don't remember any product training from working at Best Buy. I remember plenty of training on how to sell service plans. I also remember going to a day long seminar all about the wonders of Monster cable. I recall at one point they had hooked up a receiver to two different speakers. One with extremely thick Monster cable, and the other with basically string. This was in an effort to "demonstrate" how much more effective Monster Cable was.

I also loved that the one of the slides was the founder of Monster Cable standing next to his Ferrari. I guess this was another one of their demonstrations of quality. Of course the people from Monster learned that we don't make commission, and their faces dropped. Who wants to push product as hard when you don't get a cut? I certainly didn't.
I know they don't have commission, but wasn't there still a lot of pressure to sell high priced accessories and warranties?

Without the geek squad, how in the world would anyone install their portable car GPS's?

I know that these services make BB a lot of money, but seriously, who pays for this stuff (at least the gps setup is "only" 14.99):
http://www.geeksquad.com/services/co...y.aspx?id=1699

ipod setup and training: 49.99
Electronic device setup and troubleshooting: 79.99 (for one device)

1-hour Mac Basic training: 159.99

http://www.geeksquad.com/services/ht...y.aspx?id=1671

Less than $450 bucks for all of this (which includes box removal service):

Advanced Home Theater Setup & Mount

Optimize your audio experience for your home with this combination service that includes setup of your TV, speakers and wire concealment. We set up all of the necessary components to make your home theater work seamlessly.

Installer Work Time: 3 to 4 hours

Our installation professionals will:

* Connect your newly purchased video components in a single room
* Remove the box and packaging, unless you request to keep it (when applicable)
* Connect your newly purchased TV to a single source such as an existing cable, antenna or satellite signal
* Integrate up to 7 components
* Integrate existing networked components connected to existing networks (additional charges apply for adding to-be-networked components to new or existing networks)
* Ensure that all wires and cables are neatly dressed and wire ties are used when necessary
* Set up remotes with the proper codes allowing unit to control the other components, per factory-set specifications
* Set up parental control/V-Chip
* Connect up to 2 digital TV converter boxes
* Set up your speaker system receiver and/or subwoofer to operate up to a 7.1 surround system
* Verify that all speakers are properly positioned and working
* Drill access holes as needed for wiring within cabinets
* Secure the customer-supplied (or factory included if applicable) mounting bracket under a cabinet or to a standard wall frame
* Mount and secure a flat-panel TV (33-60”) to above bracket
* Connect the TV power cord to an existing AC power outlet (by surface mounting only)
* Attach customer-supplied cables from the flat-panel TV to a single tuner or A/V source component by routing up to 10’ of cable through a standard frame wall
* Ensure all wall-fished cable exit points are finished off with either a wall busing or specialized wall plate
* Conceal wires safely and in accordance to code
* Remove and recycle old TV (when applicable)

Disclaimers

* Must be purchased in conjuction with TV & Video Setup
* All speakers must be in 1 room
* Customer must supply mount and arrange for electrical outlets to be moved
* Electric cords cannot be run in-wall
Old 08-09-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
$50 to train people on how to use an iPod? Are they serious?
Old 08-09-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by starman9000
Speaking of store clerks, why do they ask you if you found everything OK, when they really don't care if you did?
Because some corporate asshat thinks that will be good customer service and keep the store busy.

And to also make you feel like you are being watched if you are thinking of ganking anything.

And that, sir, is the true answer as I know it.
Old 08-09-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What amazes me is that people continue to be amazed that clerks at entry level minimum wage jobs don't know everything about what they are selling.

It is AN ENTRY LEVEL MINIMUM WAGE JOB.

Come back if your air conditioner repair man or somebody who is a professional says something stupid like this. Clueless clerk stories are a dime a dozen, along with stupid customer stories.

And I have to wonder how many of you Einsteins who started out in an entry level minimum wage job knew the ins and outs of what you were going to be selling before you took the job? Or did you just take it to have money to live?
Old 08-09-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was checking out at Toys R Us once and before the cashier started ringing me up she said she needed my phone number. I told her that I didnt feel like giving it out. So she says "It's the law."

Before I dared her to call the police, the other cashier told her that there was no such law and told her how to get rid of the prompt on her register.
Old 08-09-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I know they don't have commission, but wasn't there still a lot of pressure to sell high priced accessories and warranties?
Yes. Before I left BB I remember having to meet some dollar amount of CD storage per hour. It was was I talked people into buying or "guess as to how much that CD storage item cost that I saw a customer walk away with".

Another thing was that we had portable CD players and keyboard/karaoke machines moved into the music department. I'd always gripe about how we needed training on these items so we could properly sell them, but we only got training on how to sell accessories/service plans for them.

Since I know from experience that product training is nearly non-existent at BB, I never go in there without knowing exactly what I want. I only bother asking a blue shirt where an item is located and nothing else.
Old 08-10-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
What amazes me is that people continue to be amazed that clerks at entry level minimum wage jobs don't know everything about what they are selling.

Come back if your air conditioner repair man or somebody who is a professional says something stupid like this. Clueless clerk stories are a dime a dozen, along with stupid customer stories.

And I have to wonder how many of you Einsteins who started out in an entry level minimum wage job knew the ins and outs of what you were going to be selling before you took the job? Or did you just take it to have money to live?
Ladies and gentlemen. We have the truth.
Old 08-10-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

truth x2
Old 08-10-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Lying employees are pretty annoying/amusing. I bought a Toshiba HD A-3 on ebay last spring and it was dirt cheap, but didn't come with a remote. A couple weeks later, I was in Sears and noticed they had about 40 to 50 'open box' dvd and hd dvd players. Most didn't have remotes, but one A-3 did. I knew they probably wouldn't sell the remote separately, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask, so I did. The sales guy got a manager who came out, listened to my question and then explained that it was illegal for them to sell a dvd player without a remote, so they couldn't sell the two items separately. It was such a bizarre thing to say, that I asked him to clarify. He stated again that it was literally against the law for them to sell any dvd player that did not come with a remote control. I pointed out that 90% of the rather large section of 'open box' dvd players didn't include remotes and asked if those items were being sold illegally. He got all flustered and asked me to leave the store.
Old 08-10-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
I tried all 11 channels. None of them gave me better than about 20% signal when I took my laptop into the next room over.

My once and future router gives me 80-90% signal (I have no idea which channel its on).
You need to get the TK-421 modification which gives it 4 quads per channel. So basically you get twice the signal with the TK-421.
Old 08-10-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A poor excuse. The clerks should be trained and encouraged to learn more about the products they sell. If they are not trained well, it's the company's fault; if they do not want to learn more, it's the clerk's fault, and in either case the consumer loses. Lower pay may explain lack of motivation but it certainly does not excuse it. They have a job that they're paid to do.

I was raised to take pride in my work, so I made an effort to become knowledgeable.

It's your money, cal. If you're happy to expect less for the money you pay, be my guest.
Old 08-10-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The problems start at the top but you can't excuse the employee just because they're young and shittily paid. If you're taking a job that requires customers to lean on you for information, then you have a responsibility to know what you're talking about. It's not rocket science...when I was 16 I worked at Frank's Nursery & Crafts and had to memorize every boring fact about plants and flowers that you could think of.

Of course, when you have managers (especially at Circuit City) who could give a shit and are idiots themselves, then there's no hope. I had one tell me that laptop batteries only last six months, so that's why my friend needed a service plan.
Old 08-10-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
For every stupid employee story, there is a stupid customer story to go along with it. I'm sure everybody who's ever worked at a video rental story heard this old routine:

Customer: "This DVD didn't work"
Employee (checking the flawless disc): "Ok, we can replace it for you"
Customer: "Can't I just pick something else? I don't want this movie anymore"

I especially liked the ones who waited until the movie was past due to come in.
Old 08-10-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

alls im sayin is, awareness is key. and expectations can greatly influence satisfaction (or the lack of).
Old 08-11-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree about expectation. That's why the complaints about DeepDiscount or Columbia House amuse (and frustrate) me. If you're trying to save money by dealing with discount places, expect discount quality of service. When you get good service, be pleasanly surprised, and thank them for it. There's nothing wrong with thanking people for doing a good job, even if they're just doing what they're supposed to. Everybody's so quick to complain--I hope you're just as quick to compliment.

However, DON'T EXCUSE people because of the level of their pay or their age. Bad behavior is bad behavior. Laziness is laziness. I don't care how little you're paid, or how many stresses you have going on at home, or how much you hate wearing that blue sweater-vest with your nametag at work, or anything else. My relationship with you is professional: store representative and customer. Don't lie. If you don't know something, admit it and try to find out the answer for me. Take pride in your work and do it right, no matter how meaningless you think it is. If you're collecting a paycheck from someone, you have a real and moral obligation to represent them and present yourself properly--even if you hate them. Having a job isn't an entitlement, and there are lots of people who don't have one. Be grateful every time you collect your paycheck. If you don't like your job, change it. Don't take it out on me when I'm trying to spend my hard-earned money from my job that maybe I don't like, either. I don't care if the last 10 customers pissed you off. I'm not them, and neither am I your therapist, nor your mother. I'm not customer #11. I'm customer #1. We're not equals. You are providing a service to me, not the other way around. You want to stop being treated like a child? Stop acting like one.
Old 08-11-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
For every stupid employee story, there is a stupid customer story to go along with it. I'm sure everybody who's ever worked at a video rental story heard this old routine:

Customer: "This DVD didn't work"
Employee (checking the flawless disc): "Ok, we can replace it for you"
Customer: "Can't I just pick something else? I don't want this movie anymore"

I especially liked the ones who waited until the movie was past due to come in.
Bingo. Anyone who has worked retail has plenty of "dumb customer" stories.
Old 08-11-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I do not expect store employees at Best Buy to know what they are talking about because I know from experience they have received no useful product training. However, is it too much to ask that they do not lie?

And if Best Buy doesn't want us to go into Best Buy expecting knowledgeable sales people perhaps they should have the courtesy to not constantly bombard us with ads promoting the contrary.
Old 08-11-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Speaking of store clerks, why do they ask you if you found everything OK, when they really don't care if you did?
My wife and I went to check out at some huge store and the clerk asked that. My wife said "no, actually we couldn't find [insert some product here] anywhere in the store".

The response? Clerk says "Oh, that's too bad." and move on to check the rest of our things out.

I love those "do it yourself" check out registers.
Old 08-12-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

None of which has anything to do with the OP. He's just asking the underpaid, undertrained employees to NOT LIE when they don't know something. That has nothing to do with it being a minimum wage job.
Old 08-12-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by solipsta
My wife and I went to check out at some huge store and the clerk asked that. My wife said "no, actually we couldn't find [insert some product here] anywhere in the store".

The response? Clerk says "Oh, that's too bad." and move on to check the rest of our things out.

I love those "do it yourself" check out registers.
At CompUSA a few years ago during a Black Thursday sale we got asked that question as we were leaving the store. We were looking for a TV which was super secret on sale (the price was listed on the internet but not advertised in the store for some reason). The guy went to get his manager. Manager had no idea but he looked it up in the computer and sure enough it was on sale. Every place in town was sold out but he spent a good hour finding when they'd be delivered then working out logistics to ship it to us in Austin (we were at a store in Dallas). After all this my wife and I decided that we were being too hasty and that we shouldn't buy a TV we hadn't even seen yet. Even at that point the employees were gracious to a fault. I felt like an asshole, but it was still the best I'd ever been treated at a store. To be honest, I think the manager was happy to not have to be dealing with the crazed hordes of bargain shoppers.
Old 08-12-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still amazed at the people who believe that lack of knowledge or the inability to handle customers is 100% the retail clerks fault.

The truth of the matter is that places like Best Buy don't care about the customer. If they did care, they would put some effort into giving some type of training to even the most green of employee's. Instead, time is spent drilling workers on selling service plans so the company can pay someone $7-8 an hour to sell $200-400 worth of pure profit.
Old 08-12-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
There is a huge difference between "lack of knowledge" and "lying to the customer"...

That said, when I worked at Circuit City (on commission, and I am very knowledgable on C.E.) it DIDN'T pay to know your shit. Guys that lied/bs'ed/or were "not helpful" almost always made more than the guys that knew their stuff. Customers that ask a TON of questions usually are tire kickers and end up wasting your time. If someone started asking too many questions the top sales guy (I miss ya Marty) would drop these guys faster than you could blink. Move on to the next BUYER, and leave the tire kicker to someone else....I laugh now (I laughed then too, cause I wasn't too serious about selling when I was ending my career there) but it was very true. I am a big believer in the best salesmen anywhere, don't always know everything about what they are selling...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.