Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually started a video store business in here?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-03-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen some huge DVD collections in this forum. There are so many people in this forum that buy every single DVD that it's almost one step away from opening a business in which one could practically start by renting out the DVDs that you have accumalated for yourself. Has anyone actually started or is planning to open up a video store?
Old 08-04-08, 12:59 AM

I've been curious about that as well, but I would venture to guess that most people here are collectors, or don't like the thought of just anyone watching one of their dvd's, even if they paid a price to rent it. I would probably start renting out dvds to friend and family members, but they can probably get it cheaper from redbox or just use netflix. I wouldn't charge much, but I'd probably require some form of deposit, or some guarantee (which wouldn't mean squat anyway). I also would hate to have to hurt someone if they brought one back damaged or don't even bring it back because they lost it. As it is, I let some family members simply borrow them, but it depends on the dvd, and it depends on the person borrowing it. I've been burned already way too many times.
Old 08-04-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am in the 1000+ club and I love lending DVDs to my friends/family... for free, of course.

I've probably loaned out at least 200+ titles and haven't had any problems.
Old 08-04-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the collecting aspect also makes it tough for people to trust others with their dvds... it's not just the watching, it's the wear and tear. Even with close friend and relatives I'm careful about what I let them borrow... I've had a disc come back completely cracked in the case (my friend said it was like that when he opened it, and how would I know any differently)?

Seems like a good idea, but the start up costs (renting out space, registering as a business, making sure you have more than your one copy of the recently out and thus popular movies) would be killer. Also, verification of your renters, so they don't just steal discs from you. And the really collectible stuff you wouldn't dare put out.
Old 08-06-08, 07:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I had a store called NOW PLAYING in 2005.I had to close up shop due to divorce but am considering opening another one.
I did not do rentals however.I think the days of small time, non-chain rental stores are a thing of the past.There is not a single 1 around here anymore,just Famvid,Blockbuster,etc.

Owning a store was a very rewarding experience, the only issue I had was the slow times, I am an active person,and the sitting got a bit boring.........
Old 08-08-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The closest I've come is that my family owned and operated a consignment shop for 20 years. For the last several, I worked there, too, so I wouldn't have to have any problems with my school schedule or with my Crohn's disease. I took over a lot of the daily operations, but my pet project was the entertainment stuff. I made books visible (they had been relegated to the farthest flung part of the story by my grandmother, who failed to see them as worthwhile), and worked to make movies and music more prominent. Unfortunately, in our community, we only ever had a handful of DVD's brought in, and most of those were either too damaged to take, or they were generic $1 DVD's in the first place. Our VHS offerings included some fairly popular titles over the years (even when VHS mattered), but for some reason we rarely had people part ways with their DVD's.
Old 08-09-08, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, I've been running "The Movie Exchange" for close to 4 years now. Sales only though, no rentals. The frightening thing is that I have as many titles in my store as I do at home.
Old 08-09-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Yep, I've been running "The Movie Exchange" for close to 4 years now. Sales only though, no rentals. The frightening thing is that I have as many titles in my store as I do at home.
You've mentioned your store many times over the years. Do you have any pics?
Old 08-10-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
b&m, online, or both?
Old 08-24-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
You've mentioned your store many times over the years. Do you have any pics?
I didn't have any pics of the old store, but I've moved into a game store now. You can see a pic of part of the stock set up in the new location here

Originally Posted by hindolio View Post
b&m, online, or both?
B&M only. I really don't want to compete with online sales. Every business expert I've talked to has said that the cost to be competitive and successful is more than I'm willing / able to spend right now.
Old 08-26-08, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wondering how much each dvd costs when it's sold to a video rental store. Is it cheaper than Best Buy's first week sale price?
Old 08-26-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9 View Post
Just wondering how much each dvd costs when it's sold to a video rental store. Is it cheaper than Best Buy's first week sale price?
Not unless you're Blockbuster. I've looked into the suppliers for video rental stores, and they usually charge their customers $5-$10 more for a standard movie. Their rationale is "well, we give it to you a day or two early so you can get them ready for your customers." I've talked to several small-town video rental places, and they all say that they just go to one of the local 24-hour stores and buy the titles at midnight when they go on sale.