Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Well, I don't think I want Amazon Prime :(

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-08, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it'd be awesome to get that when I have the money, but I ordered a DVD I was in a real hurry for the other day and chose 2-day shipping. The sent it UPS! Why the hell would you ship a single DVD UPS!? USPS does express service and they fucking deliver on Saturday. Not only did I end up having to wait til Monday (shipped Thursday), but the package the UPS guy left me looked like it got run over. Naturally, the disc was loose in the case and scratched to all hell, but readable. I've waited 12 years for a proper release of Peter Benchley's "The Beast"

I bitched to Amazon and they actually refunded shipping, so I guess they're not all bad. The shipping department is just run by idiots.

Last edited by Viper187; 07-17-08 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 09:10 PM

They always use UPS for second and next day shipping options.
Old 07-17-08, 09:15 PM

yes that is true and while sometimes I feel like I get copy-and-paste responses to emails, they are pretty good about sending out new orders or doing refunds. I actually had an order for 2 imported cds that UPS misplaced. When I contacted UPS, they said that I would have to call amazon and have them put a tracer on the package so they could try and find it. Well instead of that, they just sent me out the two cds again which I thought was pretty cool. I actually ended up receiving the original package a couple of weeks later.
Old 07-17-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They only use UPS/FedEx and sometimes DHL for prime. I guess it's mostly based on what you order, and where it comes from. But you should have looked at the estimated delivery date. It would have said Monday. Not Saturday.

Personally I love prime. Maybe it's where I'm located, but If I order early AM a DVD or CD, 95% of the time I'll receive it next day.
Old 07-18-08, 12:03 AM

I forgot to mention that I actually tried it for a month and loved it. I placed quite a few orders, mostly for cds, during that time and it was really nice getting the cds so quickly. Now that it expired, I'll just go back to using their free super saver shipping. There aren't too many things out there that I could order and need right away so waiting a week or so for free shipping isn't so bad.
Old 07-18-08, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I love Prime. I've yet to have a single issue with it and the membership has already paid for itself and then some.
Old 07-18-08, 04:53 AM

are most of the items that you buy things you NEED right away, or WANT right away?

just curious
Old 07-18-08, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
Personally I love prime. Maybe it's where I'm located, but If I order early AM a DVD or CD, 95% of the time I'll receive it next day.
Seconded. Nearly all DVD pre-orders arrive on the street day. Plus I've gotten my Dad to split the cost each year since you can extend your Prime status to a couple of folks.
Old 07-18-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They only use UPS/FedEx and sometimes DHL for prime. I guess it's mostly based on what you order, and where it comes from. But you should have looked at the estimated delivery date. It would have said Monday. Not Saturday.

I'm with you on loving this service. Most Prime deliveries for my account have come UPS, with a very occasional DHL.

I'm in NY, and if something comes to me with that New Castle DE return address that they use, it usually arrives one business day after shipping, rather than in two.

My wife and I are in our second year as Prime members and it's one luxury we love to death. We get about 100 packages a year from amazon, so the cost is more than covered. We also use it to buy various essentials, not just DVDs and music, etc.

In fact, the mailman and UPS man make wisecracks whenever they see us, due to the steady stream of packages that arrives here almost every week.
(We now do about 95% of our total shopping online, including groceries, as with a toddler and full-time jobs each, not to mention blowing $4.30 or so per gallon of gas, the internet is a much more attractive shopping venue for us than B&M).
Old 07-18-08, 10:38 AM

I acutally cancelled my prime membership due to NY sales tax. Since the tax has been implimented I've pretty much stopped ordering from them. When I did use prime though I absolutely loved it.
Old 07-18-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
(We now do about 95% of our total shopping online, including groceries, as with a toddler and full-time jobs each, not to mention blowing $4.30 or so per gallon of gas, the internet is a much more attractive shopping venue for us than B&M).
I'm pretty similar in that regard. I work in a grocery store so all my shopping gets done at the end of a shift. Aside from that, I buy almost everything else online.
Old 07-18-08, 05:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
They don't use Priority Mail for Prime because the post office won't guarantee 2 day delivery. They say 2-3 days but no guarantee of that either. UPS will guarantee 2 day delivery, otherwise Amazon gets the shipping costs refunded. I love Prime, I have gotten hundreds of packages and never anything late or damaged. I usually order on Sunday, it gets shipped Monday morning, and I get it Tuesday afternoon 90% of the time.
Old 07-18-08, 05:49 PM

but why pay for shipping when you don't have to? how often do you buy things that you NEED to have in 2 days? I loved the prime membership, when I was using it for the 30-day FREE trial
Old 07-18-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by civiclx
but why pay for shipping when you don't have to? how often do you buy things that you NEED to have in 2 days? I loved the prime membership, when I was using it for the 30-day FREE trial
Because for a lot of people, Amazon's free shipping takes a ridiculous amount of time. For me with Prime, it's not a matter of needing an item in two days, it's a matter of convenience. I know that I can place an order on Monday afternoon, get a shipping notice that evening and can feel comfortable knowing that it will arrive on Wednesday. Anything ordered in the past with the standard free shipping sure seems to take its sweet ass time getting to me.
Old 07-18-08, 07:02 PM

ok, ok you don't have to yell at me j/k I've just been using amazon for buying cds and they're not too important. Heck, haven't even opened most of them. (kind of going through this phase right now) anyway, the free shipping doesn't usually take too long. It seems like things get there a couple of days early most of the time. I'm afraid if I did get the prime membership, I wouldn't use it enough or I would be "forced" to use it too much.

That's great that you guys are getting the most out of it though. Hey you should just add me to your plan and then charge me a service fee
Old 07-18-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by civiclx
I'm afraid if I did get the prime membership, I wouldn't use it enough or I would be "forced" to use it too much.
That's what I thought at first too. But then, I decided to just try to use Amazon more than I would a brick-and-mortar store. I wanted to get my wife the Magic Bullet blender. Instead of going to Wal-Mart, I ordered it from Amazon. Instead of buying CD-Rs and DVD+Rs at Target, I ordered them from Amazon. I've made it work really well for me. I purchased my Prime membership on May 2nd. In the time since then, I've placed 10 separate orders.
Old 07-18-08, 07:58 PM

yeah I could see how it would be possible to really get the most out of it. I'm just thinking about it for my situation where I'm just buying cds from amazon. But if someone does a lot of shopping on the internet like you do, then it definitely make sense to have.
Old 07-18-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Remember too, with free shipping, you have to spend $25

If you're a prime member, and it's eligible, you can spend $6.50 - or $650.

Plus it works good when there's the occasional price mistake
Old 07-19-08, 07:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Plus it works good when there's the occasional price mistake
I was going to chime in and say that I would never pay for Prime. There is nothing at Amazon that I will ever need in a hurry. Two days or two months for a DVD to get to me? Same difference.

But the above is a good point. Not worth $99, or even $39, per year for me though.
Old 07-19-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could always find 5 people who want to split it, since you can share it with four people. (Suppose to be "family members only who live in the same household" but it works with anyone).
Old 07-19-08, 07:53 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love Prime, unless they ship DHL....I hate DHL
Old 07-20-08, 01:00 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the new shipping building in Indiana, I get my stuff in 2-3 days in WI. I ordered Thursday afternoon this week and got it saturday. So I don't need Prime.
Old 07-20-08, 01:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Prime rocks. I got in for $16 or so with some 'family' members and for a year, free 2 day shipping. I use Amazon nearly every day.
Old 07-20-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I LOVE prime. I finally broke down and got it. I don't do the "family" cheat, I pay the $80 a year. Have gotten everything in 2 days and sometimes in 1 (with no extra charge). Just ordered a Webcam for sister and it will be here on Wednesday (we live in the same house temporarily).
Old 07-23-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkny75
I acutally cancelled my prime membership due to NY sales tax. Since the tax has been implimented I've pretty much stopped ordering from them. When I did use prime though I absolutely loved it.
Yep, I'm in the same boat with the NY State tax thing, but until my membership expires, I'll continue to use it and have been very satisfied with their shipping with items arriving next day 90% of the time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.