Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Well, I don't think I want Amazon Prime :(

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Well, I don't think I want Amazon Prime :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Thanks! Thats cool. So he wouldnt need my account or anything, he would just have the Prime option on his, after the invite? Nice
Correct.
Old 06-29-09, 01:29 PM

Re: Well, I don't think I want Amazon Prime :(

Not to rehash an old thread - but I was wondering if anyone is looking to do prime a little cheaper?

Shoot me a pm =)
Old 06-29-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If I had known how many more orders Amazon would get from my household because of Prime, I'm not sure I'd have bought it either...
Old 07-01-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
If I had known how many more orders Amazon would get from my household because of Prime, I'm not sure I'd have bought it either...
Quoted for truth.
I only paid about $35 for prime, and I find I order so much more from amazon. Despite paying for the shipping up front, when shopping, I never factor that into the total price. Plus it is nice to be able to order one book, or one dvd and not worrying about finding filler items.
Old 07-02-09, 09:44 PM

Another reason to love my Amazon Prime membership: even items that "may take an additional 1-2 days to process" ship the same day for me.

And combined with the pre-order price guarantee, I hardly every bother to shop around anymore. I pre-order my DVDs (mostly TV shows) and CDs as soon as I spot the product page, knowing I'll get the best price and receive it on release day or at worst the day after. Or in rare cases, the day before release.
Old 07-05-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I finally signed up for Prime when I ordered my new Denon 3808 last month, got next day delivery via UPS (on a Saturday no less) for $4.99 extra. Now that DHL seems to be out of the picture I felt more comfortable signing up.

I still can't understand why the OP would want USPS...they are the worst in my experience...well not counting DHL.
UPS and FedEx are always timely and professional for me. USPS just don't seem to give a crap.
Old 07-10-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always been happy with Prime before, but three out of my last four orders have been delivered after the scheduled date. It's weird that this happens out of nowhere. Could it be that they want me to cancel since I order so much from them? I know that sounds paranoid, but this is the same company that changed prices on items based on how much you shopped there. And when you see companies tracking consumer behavior and throttling like Netflix, it doesn't seem so far fetched that a company would try to get rid of a customer that may be cutting in to their bottom line somewhere. Just a thought.
Old 07-10-09, 01:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by porieux
I finally signed up for Prime when I ordered my new Denon 3808 last month, got next day delivery via UPS (on a Saturday no less) for $4.99 extra. Now that DHL seems to be out of the picture I felt more comfortable signing up.

I still can't understand why the OP would want USPS...they are the worst in my experience...well not counting DHL.
UPS and FedEx are always timely and professional for me. USPS just don't seem to give a crap.
Yeah, I've had about enough of USPS. When Priority Mail takes like 6 days for no reason, I start getting pissed. A package was mailed to me from TN on a Monday. It tracked as being processed through Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday. Now, Pittsburgh is just south of me (~50 miles). Then the package didn't hit my mailbox til Saturday. WTF!?

Anyway, I'm not sure I do enough ordering through Amazon itself for prime to be worth it (more Marketplace shopping). I still don't get why they won't offer UPS 3-Day. That would be reasonable and reliable.
Old 07-10-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by redcat
I've always been happy with Prime before, but three out of my last four orders have been delivered after the scheduled date. It's weird that this happens out of nowhere. Could it be that they want me to cancel since I order so much from them? I know that sounds paranoid, but this is the same company that changed prices on items based on how much you shopped there. And when you see companies tracking consumer behavior and throttling like Netflix, it doesn't seem so far fetched that a company would try to get rid of a customer that may be cutting in to their bottom line somewhere. Just a thought.
Do they do anything for you if the item arrives late? They cant really give you the money you paid for shipping, but they coudl give you a credit, i guess. Just curious.
Old 07-10-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Do they do anything for you if the item arrives late? They cant really give you the money you paid for shipping, but they coudl give you a credit, i guess. Just curious.
I'll e-mail them today and see what they say. It's not that big of a deal - I just find it weird that after two or three years of ordering all the time and nothing ever coming late (most things came in one day, not two), now suddenly I have three out of four things late. And I have ordered a lot from them. I live over two hours from the nearest city, so every book, CD, DVD, and video game comes from them. I've ordered DVD players, game consoles, pots and pans, all using Prime. I even ordered a weed whacker a few weeks ago.
Old 07-10-09, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jjcool
They could refund/discount Prime itself for that month (or whatever billing goes by).
Old 07-12-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Viper187
They could refund/discount Prime itself for that month (or whatever billing goes by).
They could, i guess. Wondering if they would, though. I twould be a bout $6 and change, for a month, right?
Old 07-12-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll e-mail them today and see what they say. It's not that big of a deal - I just find it weird that after two or three years of ordering all the time and nothing ever coming late (most things came in one day, not two), now suddenly I have three out of four things late. And I have ordered a lot from them. I live over two hours from the nearest city, so every book, CD, DVD, and video game comes from them. I've ordered DVD players, game consoles, pots and pans, all using Prime. I even ordered a weed whacker a few weeks ago.
What gets me is the cutoff for shipping that day. I buy stuff at about 3 ET in teh afternoon, and it wont ship until the next day, then 2 days from there I have it. They also seem to hold orders for a day, then ship them and they get to me th efollowing day. Still within the 2 day window. I have never had an item not get to me within two days.
Old 09-05-09, 12:27 PM
Banned

I'm curious... Does Prime work on international orders? Like if I have Prime on the US site can I use it on amazon.ca or .co.uk too?
Old 09-05-09, 12:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ Nope.
Old 09-06-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll e-mail them today and see what they say. It's not that big of a deal - I just find it weird that after two or three years of ordering all the time and nothing ever coming late (most things came in one day, not two), now suddenly I have three out of four things late. And I have ordered a lot from them. I live over two hours from the nearest city, so every book, CD, DVD, and video game comes from them. I've ordered DVD players, game consoles, pots and pans, all using Prime. I even ordered weed a few weeks ago.
Wow. They really do have everything, huh?