DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   A word of warning concerning DVD Planet Quote Machine (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/535064-word-warning-concerning-dvd-planet-quote-machine.html)

mw390 07-07-08 09:55 AM

A word of warning concerning DVD Planet Quote Machine

I sent a batch of discs in to them, some of which were adult. They rejected them with the reason..

1 rejected due to WrongVersion

I called them and their answer was

wrong UPC (I checked them..they're not)
damaged (well packaged and insured)
not taking them

They can't call the warehouse and know exactly why but I suspect the reason may be that their Quote Machine sometimes shows adult titles and sometimes they don't. So, maybe if they do a search and don't get a hit they just toss it, which just torques me off.

So....be careful. I'm reconsidering buying anything from them in the future

PGHFlyer 07-07-08 11:14 AM

This should probably be in the store forum as not really a bargain............that said, did they send you your movies back. I just sent them some titles (not any adult though) for the first time and wondered how this is handled.

I did notice that the quote machine requires very precise search terms sometimes.

mw390 07-07-08 02:38 PM

Some days I would search using the title or part of it and a bunch of adult and mainstream titles would come up and some days no. When I did the quotes they existed and I FAITHFULLY checked the UPC codes. Last few days the titles dont show up so I'm guessing they dont want them anymore but as far as I'm concerned the 30 day thing is a binding contract in their part. I could've waited 2 week to sending them, so I'm not a happy camper

Artman 07-07-08 04:26 PM

Well, if it's on the quote when you send it in they should definitely honor them. I'll probably have one more big shipment to send in this fall...hopefully it goes as smoothly as my other transactions.

blokhed 07-07-08 05:33 PM

I've only used them once so far, but it was a good experience. I had 3 discs rejected: 2 because of scratches (hadn't noticed them), 1 because it was a promo (old Lethal Weapon 4 disc). I just wish there was more information about how the system worked on the site. I didn't get their list of "Reasons we reject movies" until it came with my rejected discs. I could have saved some time and money and held on to those had I known.

I also noticed how specific you have to be when searching. If you put a "the" in the title, it will often come up with nothing. A good way to check is to search DVD Planet's general site. See how the title shows up on their site, then copy that to the Quote Machine search. For example, "Leon" only turned up the old international version, not the 2-disc SE, so I searched for Leon on DVD Planet and saw that the SE had an accent in the title. I copied that into the Quote Machine search, and sure enough it came up.

Brent L 07-07-08 06:17 PM

You never really know what exactly to expect from the Quote Machine, but I'm always confident that in the end I'll be happy with them. They say that the UPC needs to match up exactly, but that's not always true. There have been plenty of times that I had a DVD, the UPC didn't match exactly, but I still found the same DVD on the site and sent it in, and they accepted it.

One example off the top of my head is the old Die Hard Trilogy set. I sent it in recently and the UPC didn't match when I looked it up, but I sent it in anyway and they accepted it.

I've done that same thing to many DVDs, and they almost never deny me for having a different UPC, and yes, I do always get the credit.

I've had a few things returned because of damage and that kind of thing. The most recent of which was the There Will Be Blood 2-disc set. I got it back in the mail today, and it's not really "damaged", but because of how the idiots at the studio decided to package it, I can see how they could think it's damaged. Since it's just a cardboard case, it seems that it got a bit flattened in shipping and came apart, but it's easily fixed and not actually damaged at all.

My advice is to just go ahead and send in DVDs even when the UPC doesn't match up exactly, as long as you see what looks to be the same thing you have listed on the site. That's what I always do, and so far I haven't been denied.

kahuna 07-07-08 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
You never really know what exactly to expect from the Quote Machine, but I'm always confident that in the end I'll be happy with them. They say that the UPC needs to match up exactly, but that's not always true. There have been plenty of times that I had a DVD, the UPC didn't match exactly, but I still found the same DVD on the site and sent it in, and they accepted it.

One example off the top of my head is the old Die Hard Trilogy set. I sent it in recently and the UPC didn't match when I looked it up, but I sent it in anyway and they accepted it.

I've done that same thing to many DVDs, and they almost never deny me for having a different UPC, and yes, I do always get the credit.

I've had a few things returned because of damage and that kind of thing. The most recent of which was the There Will Be Blood 2-disc set. I got it back in the mail today, and it's not really "damaged", but because of how the idiots at the studio decided to package it, I can see how they could think it's damaged. Since it's just a cardboard case, it seems that it got a bit flattened in shipping and came apart, but it's easily fixed and not actually damaged at all.

My advice is to just go ahead and send in DVDs even when the UPC doesn't match up exactly, as long as you see what looks to be the same thing you have listed on the site. That's what I always do, and so far I haven't been denied.

Thanks for the info. I had about 20 dvds/UPC that I could not find in the quote machine. One of them was the old Die Hard Trilogy. BTW, how much credit did they give you for the old Die Hard Trilogy if you remember.

Artman 07-07-08 10:52 PM

I remember sending in my old Die Hard's individually rather than by the box set upc... got a little more credit I think... same with the Jack Ryan's.

Brent L 07-07-08 11:08 PM

I don't even think the normal 2-disc sets of those first three movies are even in the GM anymore, and as a matter of fact they seem to have changed the trilogy listing as well. When I sent it in, no more than a month ago if even that, the UPC didn't match the one I had but the picture and details were the old original box set that was released with the 2-disc versions of the movies. It was listed as "Die Hard Trilogy" and they gave me $20.99 for it.

Now the one listed as "Die Hard Trilogy" is totally changed around. There isn't a picture listed anymore, and the details have been changed. I'm glad I got it in when I did, but I hate that they've since changed it.

It wouldn't shock me if they would still accept that set for that listing though and give you the same amount, but that's up to you to give it a try. The worse that could happen is that they would ship it back to you.

I don't think I could have sent them the individual DVDs from the set, since the ones that I had didn't even have UPC codes on them. Where the UPC should be there was just a blank white box. But like I said, either way, they gave me more for the "Die Hard Trilogy" than it would have been the other way.

They gave me $20.99 for the trilogy, $10.49 for DH4, and I bought the Blu-ray collection at a pawn shop for $32. It worked out perfectly for me.

The QM has been very, very good to me. They still give $11.09 for the 2-disc of Spider-Man 3, and you can buy the Blu-ray at some places for around that much, like Amazon for example. I couldn't recommend the QM highly enough.

mw390 07-15-08 01:01 PM

Well I got my first batch of used adult DVDs back from DVDlanet and in a person's handwriting they stipulate that they don't take adult DVDs any more. I guess a written letter to them is required

mw390 07-15-08 01:33 PM

Actual letter sent today

DVD Planet
900 N Rohlwing RD
Itasca, Il 60143
Attn: CEO

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing you today to make my dissatisfaction known to you regarding selling used DVDs
via your QuoteMachine. I’ve noticed from time to time that Adult DVDs op up on the list and
I have successfully sold a few back (see attached quote 14239). When the listings started
showing up recently I sent 3 separate shipments (Quotes 14941, 14995, & 15006) 2 or which
were insured due to their trade in value. Recently I received email (attached) rejecting ALL my
adult titles due to being a wrong version. When I called customer service all they could tell me
was that the discs were damaged or the UPCs didn’t match hence the rejection reason Wrong
Version? Huh?

Today I got shipment 14941 back and in a handwritten note it says “The XRated DVD are no
Longer accepted”. Now I understand that you have the WE RESERVE THE RIGHT REFUSAL
OF ANY USED DVD as sort of an escape clause yet you do say the Quote is valid for 30 days
from submission. So, if somewhere in that time period you decided you weren’t going to accept
Adult discs, didn’t tell anyone, still displayed them in a Quote Machine search and yet reject
them because for whatever reason or another you have a REASONABLE explanantion why
you didn’t want them afer all , then I think in that case you were in effect deceiving your
customers. What if I sent them on the 25th day of the quote?

I have been a DVD Planet AND a Digital Eyes customer for many years before and after the
merger and like to know why this has happened and also why customer service could not find
someone who inspected the discs and flat out say why didn’t want them.

Thank You,