DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Check your old Best Buy receipts! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/534058-check-your-old-best-buy-receipts.html)

TGM 06-21-08 07:51 AM

Check your old Best Buy receipts!

Is Best Buy trying to pull some shinanigans on us?

I save all of my big ticket receipts, in a folder, in a file cabinet near my desk. I was going through them all, and reorganizing lately, and noticed that EVERY SINGLE Best Buy receipt was almost completely faded... all of the print/ink was barely legible... the same could not be said for my Circuit City, or other companies receipts. These things were not in direct contact with the sun.... weird...

DirkUSA 06-21-08 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Is Best Buy trying to pull some shinanigans on us?

I save all of my big ticket receipts, in a folder, in a file cabinet near my desk. I was going through them all, and reorganizing lately, and noticed that EVERY SINGLE Best Buy receipt was almost completely faded... all of the print/ink was barely legible... the same could not be said for my Circuit City, or other companies receipts. These things were not in direct contact with the sun.... weird...

Mine are like that too.

Dirk

tonyc3742 06-21-08 08:19 AM

Some companies use cheaper register paper. I remember I had a receipt from AutoZone that I kept in the car (since, you know, it had to do with car stuff) and it faded in about two days, being ultrasensitive to heat.
I keep all mine shoved in the drawer of a "side table" in the office, every couple months I go through it and throw some away.

zoomgirl 06-21-08 09:10 AM

I have a box filled with them, and yes a lot are faded. I am going to start turning them into pdf's and email them to myself....

amd555 06-21-08 09:46 AM

keep them out of heat, humidigty and moisture. That will keep it from fading.

JB7 06-21-08 11:58 AM

I keep mine in a 3 drawer in my bedroom closet. Its cool in there, no sun, etc. they still faded.

lanemyer74 06-21-08 12:18 PM

When you first get them, maybe you can scan them into your computer. Then, if needed, print it out.

GatorDeb 06-21-08 05:25 PM

I get tuition reimbursement from work so in order to not lose the receipts from purchasing books, I put them in a pocket in my wallet. Four months later there was barely any ink.

It's not a Best Buy conspiracy :)

hindolio 06-21-08 11:31 PM

hmm mine actually arent bad. from years ago too. conspiracy de-bunked :D

nemein 06-22-08 07:18 AM

I have several from 06/07 and even a couple from 03/04 and they are all still legible. Besides if it's the warranty/coverage thing you are looking for (even regular purchases if they are on a CC and/or w/ the reward zone card) all that info should be in their computers.

Me007gold 06-22-08 09:44 AM

thats thermal paper for ya

jjcool 06-22-08 03:26 PM

Today at breakfast, the lady at the counter put my hash browns on top of my receipt. When I picked up the hash browns, the receipt underneath it was totally black, from the heat.

Phibes 06-23-08 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Today at breakfast, the lady at the counter put my hash browns on top of my receipt. When I picked up the hash browns, the receipt underneath it was totally black, from the heat.

So did you have to pay for the hash browns? ;)

Double Down 06-23-08 12:11 PM

As a couple of people have suggested, scan them and save them as PDFs before they start to fade. I have never (knock on wood) had a company fail to honor a printout copy of a receipt. The receipt is just proof of purchase. If you have a copy that contains the invoice number or some other identifying code, that should be fine. Saving them as PDFs also helps ensure you don't lose them.

california9570 06-25-08 12:55 PM

I've heard about this happening at BJs, wallmart, and costco, and even grocery stores too... not that you really need to save receipts for that long from the grocery store... but still! if this continues and enough people complain, hopefully they will get rid of thermal paper receipts

fujishig 06-25-08 04:45 PM

Yeah, costco receipts are some of the worst....

kyle90316 06-26-08 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, costco receipts are some of the worst....

costco doesnt use ink on the receipts its actually just carbon paper i think with pressure causing the "ink" just like how they swipe it with back of marker to show you walked out.