DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Alternatives to eBay? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/533292-alternatives-ebay.html)

Tarantino 06-09-08 08:53 PM

Alternatives to eBay?

With eBay's new policies, I'm out of there...I got negged as a seller for no reason, and because of their new guidelines, I can't leave negative feedback for any buyers, no matter what. Bullshit.

I'm thinking about listing some simple things (CD's, DVD's, etc.) on Amazon, but their commission costs seem a bit high.

Has anyone dealt with any other eBay alternatives?

= J

xage 06-09-08 09:02 PM

Try ubid or yahoo auctions

Tarantino 06-09-08 09:03 PM

As I understand it, Yahoo Auctions is gone.

= J

foxdvd 06-09-08 10:17 PM

I buy on amazon all the time, but from what I can tell amazon is even more pro buyer than ebay.

No real site has the traffic that ebay has, and they know it.

neiname 06-09-08 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
With eBay's new policies, I'm out of there...I got negged as a seller for no reason, and because of their new guidelines, I can't leave negative feedback for any buyers, no matter what. Bullshit.

I'm thinking about listing some simple things (CD's, DVD's, etc.) on Amazon, but their commission costs seem a bit high.

Has anyone dealt with any other eBay alternatives?

= J

Same happened to me, I shipped with delivery confirmation. Package shows as delivered but seller says she never received, left me 3 neutrals and a negative and filed a claim. Ebay sucks now.

ozzfan84 06-10-08 08:56 AM

eBay wants buyers to come on and get great prices and customer serive without eBay providing it themselves.

I hate how lately they are trying to push down the shipping prices, warning you that your fees look to high even though you tend to lose money on shipping no matter what after the insanely high ebay and Paypal fees.

They just make it so freakin difficult to sell on ebay. As a seller, you are putting out such a great risk these days, and ebay doesn't want to help with these issues at all.

Funk 06-10-08 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
They just make it so freakin difficult to sell on ebay. As a seller, you are putting out such a great risk these days, and ebay doesn't want to help with these issues at all.

I completely agree. I've been on eBay since late '98. It's no longer worth it to me to list CDs and DVDs for sale. They either don't sell (costing me listing fees) or they sell for almost nothing. It's worse now that I can't/don't ship internationally. Remember the days when you could buy a CD or DVD and, if you didn't like it, recoup most of your costs on eBay? Those days are long gone.

Amazon Marketplace is a better alternative to selling regular media these days, IMO. Yes, the fees are higher. However, you set the price and don't have to worry about deadbeat buyers. The only reason I'd consider eBay is if the items are out-of-print or otherwise would benefit from multiple bidders. For in-print media, there just aren't enough bidders to get multiple bids on common auctions. Too many fixed-price sellers now.

For items not worth selling on Amazon MP, wait until SecondSpin has their 20% coupons, which adds an extra 20% to your trade-in value.

Jacoby Ellsbury 06-10-08 12:21 PM

Really surprised that ebay has no competition. Why hasnt google done something. Google could charge 3-5% commission, make a killing and take all of ebay's traffic. Instead we deal with 8.75% commission plus the double fees of paypal. Google already has their version of paypal set up

fitlissa76 06-10-08 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Funk
I completely agree. I've been on eBay since late '98. It's no longer worth it to me to list CDs and DVDs for sale. They either don't sell (costing me listing fees) or they sell for almost nothing. It's worse now that I can't/don't ship internationally. Remember the days when you could buy a CD or DVD and, if you didn't like it, recoup most of your costs on eBay? Those days are long gone.

Amazon Marketplace is a better alternative to selling regular media these days, IMO. Yes, the fees are higher. However, you set the price and don't have to worry about deadbeat buyers. The only reason I'd consider eBay is if the items are out-of-print or otherwise would benefit from multiple bidders. For in-print media, there just aren't enough bidders to get multiple bids on common auctions. Too many fixed-price sellers now.

For items not worth selling on Amazon MP, wait until SecondSpin has their 20% coupons, which adds an extra 20% to your trade-in value.

I agree, the fees are higher at Amazon, but the ease of the whole process & the rate of sales being higher (in my case this is SO true) that it is worth the higher fees to save me the headaches. There is no fee to list. You only pay if your item sells. That right there is a big plus. I am so tired of ebay's fees just to put up an item without being guaranteed a sale. The amount of sales once I went to Amazon increased significantly. I think for CDs, DVDs, books, games, etc... those kinds of items I think sell better at Amazon than at Ebay. Ebay is great for finding other things, such as the hard to find bellydance things I find there that I can't find via other dance suppliers. Collectible items are great for ebay. The other common things, though, seem to sell so much better at Amazon, IMO. Amazon handles all of the payment details. I don't have to worry about a buyer sending me a check when I do not accept checks, or begging to use Paypal when I do not take paypal, etc... I don't have to worry about a non-paying bidder. Amazon handles all of that & puts the money in my account easy peasy. I find that their whole set up for orders & printing out packing slips, etc... all very easy, I think the setup is actually better than ebay's for handling the orders.

Overall I'll take Amazon Marketplace over Ebay any day.

cdollaz 06-10-08 03:19 PM

As an occasional seller on eBay, the new feedback system, which takes away my voice and recourse, will likely cause me to be much less considerate of buyers who claim a problem. If they have a problem, I will likely just say "tough shit" since they will likely give me a negative anyway just because they can. I think sellers will be MUCH more wary of buyers any time they claim a problem and less likely to come to an amicable solution.

When I am a buyer, I understand that the new feedback will lead to lower feedback for sellers because of shithead buyers, so I will be more willing to buy from a seller who has lower feedback, likely thru no fault of his own.

JWAR 06-10-08 03:31 PM

Ebay sucks! I hate it! They take way too much money and charge you ridiculous fees to sell things.

GenPion 06-10-08 04:15 PM

On top of the ridiculous fees they now charge, through both eBay and Paypal, I recently had a buyer pay for an auction won in the U.K.! My listing specified that I will only ship to the U.S. and Canada and eBay's information showed this as well. I got paid only $4 total for the item and shipping and there is no way I'm sending it as such only to be put in the negative. I'm amazed the person even bid.

Norm de Plume 06-10-08 05:39 PM

I use Ioffer to buy and sell rare films. Kind of a rinky-dink, sometimes user-unfriendly website, and it seems to feature a lot of contraband, but it has generally worked well for me.