Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscount.com 20% off "sale" *price increases*

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DeepDiscount.com 20% off "sale" *price increases*

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Actually, every year this debate continues because every year DD continues jacking up the prices right before the "sale" begins. Plenty of irrefutable evidence is provided, but the DD apologists are so damn afraid that if people complain, DD might stop having the 20% off "sale". Make all the excuses you want, as long as DD continues this deception, I'm going to continue complaining about.
I would love to see this "irrefutable" evidence. No one is "making excuses". I am simply stating my observations based on past experience (I have been a part of every 20% off sale).

Do some DVDs go up in price before the sale? Yes.
Do some DVDs go down in price before the sale? Yes.
Do DVDs fluctuate in price EVERY DAY? Yes.
Do sales end? Yes.
Does DDD adjust prices based on competitors prices? Yes.
Do they adjust their prices after a competitors price changes? Yes.
Does DDD adjust prices based on consumer feedback once the sale starts? Yes.

Does DDD pre-meditate a price increase before their 20% off sale? No. Not one piece of evidence I have seen points to any deception.

Unfounded paranoia if you ask me...Wow.
Old 06-03-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony
wish list so far.

last week.

The Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis Collection - Vol. $36.90
Martin & Lewis V.02 $24.17
Prince of the City $12.71
Wait Till Your Father Gets Home: The Complete First Season $29.98
NHL Philadelphia Flyers Greatest Games Set $22.99
SCTV - The Best of the Early Years $25.32
The Muppet Show - Season 3 $25.89
The Day the Earth Caught Fire $6.06

this week.

prince of the city is now 13.81
father gets home is now 31.99
fkyers is now 35.36
muppets is now 30.89

ugh.
Old 06-03-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Another change today. The preorder price for Californication keeps going up and down

$574.95 5-27

$579.30 6-1

$568.28 6-2

$562.35 6-3
Old 06-04-08, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Warner title.... UPWARD CHANGES

Performance / The Butcher Boy / Cruising / The Loved One - were 12.71 - now 13.81 - UP 9%

OTHERS ON MY WISHLIST:
Surface Complete Series - was 18.37 - now 20.46 UP 11%

Hamlet 2 disc - was 19.55 - now 21.25
Old 06-04-08, 06:53 AM

I have been talking with DVD-Planet about my 1000-point discount. They said, in an e-mail to me, that it would $28.00, however it is really $40.00 --which is what a 1,000-point (frequent buyer program points) total always got me in the past.

They said the $28.00 notice in the e-mail was wrong, and yesterday, I was able to place an order for $40.44, get my $40.00 discount, and only get charged 44-cents.

On the phone, I asked them about the JUNE coupons.
--(every month they offer 3 coupons, usually $5.00 off a $60 purchase, $10 off a $120 purchase, and $15.00 off a $175.00 purchase).

I used all 3 coupons in May. I asked them about the JUNE coupons, and they wrote and told me:

"There will be NO JUNE COUPONS because we will be running our semi-annual 20%-OFF sale in JUNE."

-- for those who don't know it, DVD-Planet and DeepDiscount.com are THE SAME COMPANY---

--however, if you keep a window open to each site, while 'shopping' you will see that MOST titles at DVD-Planet cost MUCH LESS than those listed at DeepDiscount.com.
--ESPECIALLY CRITERION titles.

DVD-Planet, in their e-mail, did NOT tell when their JUNE 20%-OFF sale was going to begin, NOR did they offer any codes for the sale.

I will telephone them later today, for clarification. I spend about $600 to $1000 a MONTH with DVD-Planet, and I take advantage of all sales and discounts.

However, if I can find a title cheaper elsewhere, then I BUY IT elsewhere.

MY QUESTION:

Does anyone here have any info, or codes, for the DVD-Planet 20%-OFF sale, and/or any CODES or Info for the 20%-OFF sale at DeepDiscount.com???

Hope someone here is better informed than I am, and can share any info you may have.

Many Thanks,
--D.--
Old 06-04-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
During the past three 20% off "sales", the most widespread price increases occurred during the hour before the coupon codes were activated. Nearly every item in my cart had a significant price increase just moments before the "sale" began. These were not expiring sales items, these were DVDs that had remained the same price for years, and as soon as the 20% off "sale" ended, they returned to their pre-20% off "sale" price.

DD used to run an honest 20% off sale, I know it can be done, but the last three 'sales" were anything but honest.
Old 06-04-08, 10:17 AM

Uptonight, unlike the DD sales which uses multiple codes that you can only use once, the DVDPlanet sales uses only one code that can be used multiple times. Off the top of my head I don't remember what the code is but I'm sure it will pop up eventually.
Old 06-04-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is. There are many people here at DVDtalk who are convinced, myself included, that DeepDiscount screws with their prices right before the sale. There are also many people who are convinced that DeepDiscount doesn't.

However, no matter how long we debate this, it's unlikely anybody is going to change their mind. In addition, what does it really matter? In a couple of days DeepDiscount is going to put some amount of their product on sale for some discount. If you like the price they offer for something you want, then take it. If you don't, then don't.
Old 06-04-08, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
I'm not really sure what the point of this topic is. There are many people here at DVDtalk who are convinced, myself included, that DeepDiscount screws with their prices right before the sale. There are also many people who are convinced that DeepDiscount doesn't.

However, no matter how long we debate this, it's unlikely anybody is going to change their mind. In addition, what does it really matter? In a couple of days DeepDiscount is going to put some amount of their product on sale for some discount. If you like the price they offer for something you want, then take it. If you don't, then don't.
Exactly my thoughts. Check the price, if it's good get it, otherwise don't. So simple.

Dirk
Old 06-04-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking the point was to track price increases, and maybe even decreases, so as to not clog up the main sale thread with that sort of thing.
Old 06-04-08, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
I was thinking the point was to track price increases, and maybe even decreases, so as to not clog up the main sale thread with that sort of thing.
Exactly.
Old 06-04-08, 01:30 PM

For those of you who believe that it "makes no difference" and that price-increases before the sale starts, will nullify any savings, I have to say that yours is a short-sighted view (PLEASE Don't take offense! that's just IMHO.) A bit of research, while shopping during these sales, can reap BIG savings.

As I said in my earlier post, I'll keep a window open to both DVD-Planet and DeepDiscount.com at the same time, comparing prices on the titles I want to buy.

However, there's more to this, so I'll elaborate a bit, here.....
While I do keep windows open to both of those retailers, I ALSO keep a window open to DVD-Empire (which can be higher on most titles, but surprisingly low on others, --as well as maintaining a MUCH GREATER list of DVDs, including many obscurities that both DD and DVD-Planet say are OOP.
DVD-Empire's list of Facets titles, alone, is the best I've seen, outside of Facets, itself. In fact, when Facets is out of an obscure title, it's common to find that DVD-Empire still has a few on the shelf.....

At the same time, I keep windows open to Amazon, Alibris, eBay, Oldies.com, Movies Unlimited, and many others-- usually keeping at least a dozen windows open to a dozen vendors (sometimes more), while I shop and compare.

These 20%-OFF sales, as well as the monthly coupons, and the "frequent-buyer-points", WHEN WORKED PROPERLY, can yield tremendous savings, as well as giving you a selection of odd, obscure, and OOP titles, at unimaginably low prices. Often, you can find amazing bargains on OOP, or near-OOP titles, without having to use any coupons, or sale devices, whatsoever.

It DOES take some time, and some patience-- I will usually spend an entire evening (or two) comparing and choosing, but in the end, I often get the titles I want from the various vendors I shop, saving a princely sum in the process.

I purchase, on average, about 30 to 40 titles a month, so it pays for me to take the time and effort to do this right. I also have an obssessive hunger for independent, obscure, and unheard-of films, so this works for me in ways that don't matter much to those shoppers who are only interested in buying the latest block-busters, or top-ten commercial TV-show sets.

When I get the DVD-Planet code, I'll post it here (..I'm sure others may do the same..), and I'll check here frequently to see if others come up with codes & dates for the various buying options that will be available to us this month.

Many Thanks,

--D.--

PS: It's only some hours after I wrote the above, which I posted earlier today, and I just got off the phone with DVD-Planet. Instead of starting a new post, I figured it would be just as easy to 'edit' this post with the news.

I was told that their 20%-OFF sale starts tomorrow (June 5th), and that I would receive an e-mail with the necessary code at MIDNIGHT, tonight.

I will post it here as soon as I can.

I'm not sure DeepDiscount.com will send me an e-mail, but usually their 20%-OFF sale is written up on this website, so I'll check back later tonight, or tomorrow.

peace,
--D.--

Last edited by uptonight; 06-04-08 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
And what purpose whould that serve? All that matters is the price of the item you want when you're ready to buy during the sale. How is how everybody's wishlist is fluxuating right now of benefit to anybody?
Old 06-04-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So many people were venting about price fluctuations that this thread was opened to let them post. The other thread(s) are for discussion of "all" other aspects of the upcoming sale.
Old 06-04-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's interesting information for some of us, and seemingly not interesting for others. I don't see the problem in keeping track of it all.

From the start of these sales we've always shared orders, to give one another ideas for stuff to buy that we may not think of on our own. Now where posting wishlists prices, and price increases, comes into play is when I see someone mention that the price went up, and because of that I may not buy it in the sale.

There have been times where they've raised prices on things so high that you can actually get it cheaper without the sale. All of that information is important, or at least interesting, to some of us.
Old 06-04-08, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by uptonight

-- for those who don't know it, DVD-Planet and DeepDiscount.com are THE SAME COMPANY---

--D.--
Technically that's not true. They are OWNED by the same company, but they are not the same company. They are sister companies, each having their own structure. The controlling company can hand down certain demands or promotions they want the sister companies to run, but they each are their own entity.

For instance, I used to work for a catalog company that owned all kinds of horticulture companies (Breck's, SpringHill, Stark Brothers Nurseries, Michigan Bulb, etc...) as well as toy companies (Childcraft, Learn n' Play, Hearthsong, Magic Cabin Dolls, etc.. ) , food gift companies (such as Popcorn Factory and Mauna Loa) , etc... Each business had its own products, in fact Michigan Bulb's products were lower quality than Spring Hill & Breck's - their suppliers were not the same. They each were their own entity. They were owned by the same corporation, but were distinctly different.

Such is the case with DVD Planet & Deep Discount. They are not the same company, but owned by the same parent company. It's like parents who have kids. The siblings are not the same. Nobody would say that the brother is the same as the sister. They are related, but not the same.
Old 06-04-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I've always wondered why they have two different stores? Don't they sell pretty much the exact same products, from the exact same warehouses?
Old 06-04-08, 04:21 PM

I can appreciate your take on my comment about DeepDiscount & DVD-Planet being the "same company."

I read, with interest, of your experiences with companies that simply had the same 'parent' company, but that operated separately and distinctly.

However, DeepDiscount and DVD-Planet work out of the same warehouse, selling the same inventory. I have been told this by more than one person at DVD-Planet, over the past year-- and I call them frequently.

When DVD-Planet's website says they are "out-of-stock" on a title, I've called them up and said, "well, it's listed as 'In Stock' at DeepDiscount; --after which I am always told, "--then don't worry, we have it."

Also, If I point out that there's a $10.00 price diff on a title, they always tell me that they'll give me the lower price, "because DeepDiscount "Took Over" DVD-Planet, AND they both work off the same inventory stock, in their ONE warehouse."

Also, their order-taking, --and billing-- facilities are in the same offices.

......it's a tad more than "just a common parent company."

Just call them, and ask.--
They'll tell you the same thing I've just written here.

--D.--
Old 06-04-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The sale is "live" now. My updated list is at the bottom

Of 95 Wishlist Items

From 5/27/08 to 6/2/08
  • 80 Items No Change
  • 8 Items Increased (2 were SNL seasons 1-2 which were obviously on sale before hand)
    • Venture Bros. Season 1 - $22.41 to $24.36
    • Venture Bros. Seasons 1 and 2 - $44.11 to $47.95
    • For Your Consideration - $12.71 to $13.81
    • Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 6 - $25.89 to $26.02
    • The 4400: Season 4 - $25.89 to $28.99
    • Extras: Complete Series - $36.89 to $37.89
    • SNL - Season 1 - $31.98 to $49.20 (should have jumped on this one)
    • SNL - Season 2 - $31.98 to $49.20 (should have jumped on this one)
  • 7 Items Decreased
    • Tom Goes the Mayor: Complete Series - $25.14 to $24.99
    • Doctor Who: Season 3 - $68.89 to $67.99
    • Fletch [HD DVD] - $12.30 to $11.98
    • Eastern Promises [HD DVD] - $18.45 to $11.98
    • Signs [Blu-Ray] - $26.83 to $25.87
    • Cloverfield [Blu-Ray] - $27.85 to $22.83
    • Dirty Harry UCE [Blu-Ray] - $90.85 to $89.85

From 6/2/08 to 6/4/08 (start of sale)
  • 84 Items No Change
  • 0 Items Increased
  • 11 Items Decreased
    • South Park Season 11 - $36.90 to $34.79 (pre-order)
    • Venture Bros. Seasons 1 and 2 - $47.95 to $43.89
    • X-Files Revelations - $17.39 to $15.79 (pre-order)
    • Donnie Dark (2 disc) - $14.84 to $13.37
    • Stargate - Ark of Truth - $20.02 to $19.76
    • SNL - Season 2 - $49.20 to $42.00
    • SNL - Season 1 - $49.20 to $42.00
    • Stardust HD DVD - $31.92 to $17.33
    • Hot Rod HD DVD - $31.92 to $17.33
    • I, Robot Blu-Ray - $27.83 to $27.77
    • The Bank Job Blu-Ray - $27.85 to $26.83 (pre-order)

Please Note: Many of my wishlist items are pre-orders.
Old 06-04-08, 06:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by uptonight
I can appreciate your take on my comment about DeepDiscount & DVD-Planet being the "same company."

I read, with interest, of your experiences with companies that simply had the same 'parent' company, but that operated separately and distinctly.

However, DeepDiscount and DVD-Planet work out of the same warehouse, selling the same inventory. I have been told this by more than one person at DVD-Planet, over the past year-- and I call them frequently.

When DVD-Planet's website says they are "out-of-stock" on a title, I've called them up and said, "well, it's listed as 'In Stock' at DeepDiscount; --after which I am always told, "--then don't worry, we have it."

Also, If I point out that there's a $10.00 price diff on a title, they always tell me that they'll give me the lower price, "because DeepDiscount "Took Over" DVD-Planet, AND they both work off the same inventory stock, in their ONE warehouse."

Also, their order-taking, --and billing-- facilities are in the same offices.

......it's a tad more than "just a common parent company."

Just call them, and ask.--
They'll tell you the same thing I've just written here.

--D.--
We took orders at the same call center for close to 50 companies, some of whom shared warehouses. They were still separate as is the case DeepDiscount & DVDPlanet. They can rent the same space, have similar inventory (such as some of the companies I took orders for), but still be separate.

ETA : We also had some employees who couldn't grasp the parent & sister company concept who would tell customers that Breck's & Springhill, for instance, were the same company. Imagine the customer's surprise when they would call me wishing to place orders for both at the same time. Although we were the call center, worked off the same computer system for all of them, etc... we could not take orders for both in one call. They had to call a separate number which would ring right back to me. The reason was because the companies kept track of calls in relation to orders, customer service inquiries, etc... So, just because employees may say they are the same, doesn't make it so. It just means that they are misinformed or are misinforming customers so they don't have to explain all the correct info.

Last edited by fitlissa76; 06-04-08 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-04-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlissa76
We took orders at the same call center for close to 50 companies, some of whom shared warehouses. They were still separate as is the case DeepDiscount & DVDPlanet. They can rent the same space, have similar inventory (such as some of the companies I took orders for), but still be separate.

ETA : We also had some employees who couldn't grasp the parent & sister company concept who would tell customers that Breck's & Springhill, for instance, were the same company. Imagine the customer's surprise when they would call me wishing to place orders for both at the same time. Although we were the call center, worked off the same computer system for all of them, etc... we could not take orders for both in one call. They had to call a separate number which would ring right back to me. The reason was because the companies kept track of calls in relation to orders, customer service inquiries, etc... So, just because employees may say they are the same, doesn't make it so. It just means that they are misinformed or are misinforming customers so they don't have to explain all the correct info.
I still don't understand why. As a customer, knowing that you won't take my order but that I have to call you back at another number would upset me (obviously they wouldn't know, but still). Why not consolidate, especially if your businesses overlap so much (I have no idea what Brecks and Springhill sell, but deepdiscount and dvdplanet seem to overlap quite a bit).
Old 06-05-08, 02:13 PM

DVD-Planet, which was apparently speaking for it's "other-half," (DeepDiscount) as well as itself, e-mailed me the following message, regarding their 20%-OFF Sale:

------------------------------------------------------
You may use the code: SUPERSALE for both web sites.

Please contact us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

DVDPlanet Customer Service Department
[email protected]

------------------------------------------------------

Probably everyone using this website already knows that DeepDiscount is accepting "DVDTALK" as a 'code' for it's 20%-OFF sale. ---and if DD follows it's usual pattern, it will likely be accepting many of the same familiar codes they used during it's last 20%-OFF sale.

--D.--
Old 06-05-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlissa76
We also had some employees who couldn't grasp the parent & child company concept
I worked with someone like that. He just couldn't understand he didn't work for the parent company when his paycheck, email and everything else was from the child company. His email sig said he worked for the parent one.

His understanding, which he came up with himself, was that since the parent company owned the child company, that means it's all the same company and everyone is employed by the parent company.

Drove me nuts.
Old 06-05-08, 03:25 PM

Wow, interesting study, SkullOrchard.
Old 06-05-08, 03:47 PM
Suspended

Not that I planned to order anyway, I haven't ordered during the last couple of 20% off sales, but for those who are interested I checked these before the code went active & the prices hadn't changed within the last day or 2. Since the 20% code going active, some of the items on my wishlist have increased in price.

Here's the comparison :

Doctor Who - The Complete First Season went up in price :
Before : $68.88 After : $69.88

Doctor Who: The Complete First & Second Season went up in price :
Before : $129.36 After : $138.99

Doctor Who-2nd Series went up in price :
Before : $69.21 After : $70.21

The Goddess Workout: Cardio Bellydance went up in price :
Before : $8.99 After : $11.26

Goddess Workout: Veils & Cymbals went up in price :
Before : $8.99 After : $11.26

Last edited by fitlissa76; 06-05-08 at 05:29 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.