Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon will be charging tax to NY starting 6/1

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon seems to be a popular site here for people to order blurays from, so get your orders in!

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/05...g-ny-in-court/
Old 05-16-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that sucks ass.
Old 05-16-08, 03:44 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
$5 says this will be overturned in a few months. If this continues expect all online stores to do this in all states which is complete BS.
Old 05-16-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(Why is this in the HD Forum - really?)
Old 05-16-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
$5 says this will be overturned in a few months. If this continues expect all online stores to do this in all states which is complete BS.
Paying state tax to online merchants is inevitable, really.

The States are losing so much revenue each year due to the explosion of internet-based sales, there's no way the legislatures won't close this hole within the next few years.

It was great while it lasted.
Old 05-16-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The joy of Tax Free Oregon continues.

-beebs
Old 05-16-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Paying state tax to online merchants is inevitable, really.

The States are losing so much revenue each year due to the explosion of internet-based sales, there's no way the legislatures won't close this hole within the next few years.

It was great while it lasted.
Yeah, in a struggling economy, this sounds like a great idea.
Old 05-16-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by beebs
The joy of Tax Free Oregon continues.

-beebs
And why everyone flees "Tax"achussetts for New Hampshire (no sales OR income tax)
Old 05-16-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
oh well.
Old 05-16-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

U.S. taxpayers have always been responsible for paying the state sales tax on internet purchases when that tax is not collected at the time of sale. New Yorkers should be thankful for this. Just one less bit of paperwork to keep track of for tax filing season.
Old 05-16-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
U.S. taxpayers have always been responsible for paying the state sales tax on internet purchases when that tax is not collected at the time of sale. New Yorkers should be thankful for this. Just one less bit of paperwork to keep track of for tax filing season.
I thought that you were jesting in the other thread. Now, I'm starting to wonder.
Old 05-16-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Although WA state already taxes Amazon purchases, on 6/1 over 1,000 online retailers will also start. I have a feeling DD and DVDPlanet may be some of them...

Old 05-16-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Although WA state already taxes Amazon purchases, on 6/1 over 1,000 online retailers will also start. I have a feeling DD and DVDPlanet may be some of them.
Amazon customers in Washington state have always paid sales taxes on purchases because Amazon is based there, just as DeepDiscount collects taxes on purchases made in Illinois because DD is based in Itasca, Ill.

If New York is successful with its new law, you can expect state legislatures nationwide to follow suit.
Old 05-16-08, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'm sure NYers are thrilled by this.
Old 05-16-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
And on 7/1 it kicks in at over 1,000 etailers for the 22 states that belong to the Streamlined Sales Tax Project.

http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/State_Links.html

Since I buy mostly through Amazon I'm already used to having to pony up the sales tax but this still will suck.
Old 05-16-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mugwump
And on 7/1 it kicks in at over 1,000 etailers for the 22 states that belong to the Streamlined Sales Tax Project.

http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/State_Links.html

Since I buy mostly through Amazon I'm already used to having to pony up the sales tax but this still will suck.
I'm still in the clear!
Old 05-16-08, 09:43 PM

As much as this sux. Its still going to be cheaper to buy from Amazon to go to the store with their great daily deals on dvds/blu-ray, the prices are still $5-15 cheaper and then with gas at $4+ a gallon unless u live a block away from a best buy or circuit city, u will be wasting gas when there is free shipping at amazon.
Old 05-16-08, 10:36 PM

Is it for orders BILLED to a NY address or SHIPPED to a NY address?
Old 05-17-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
What about orders shipped to a NY address but billed to a Canadian address? (I'm guessing...yes. Dammit. )
Old 05-17-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, um, yeah!
Old 05-17-08, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Amazon customers in Washington state have always paid sales taxes on purchases because Amazon is based there
Yes, that's why I mentioned it in my post.

The 7/1 thing is what I was referring to... at least we get one more 20% sale.
Old 05-17-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Geist
Is it for orders BILLED to a NY address or SHIPPED to a NY address?
Effective June 1, 2008, Amazon.com LLC and Amazon Digital Services, Inc will begin collecting sales tax on items shipped to destinations within the State of New York as New York has enacted a new law requiring out-of-state sellers to collect and remit sales tax based on advertising.
Old 05-17-08, 07:18 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
And why everyone flees "Tax"achussetts for New Hampshire (no sales OR income tax)
IIRC, a lot of "big box" stores were opened immediately across the border decades ago to get sales revenue from people living in the People's Republic of Massachusetts. I have family in both though and depending on what services you expected from the city or state you lived in, you ended up getting what you paid for.

The bigger question here is why should local sales be taxed and "virtual" sales be exempt (as a matter of public policy)? Yeah, it sucks to pay taxes at all but if they miss getting it in one way, cities/states always manage to find another way to get more.
Old 05-17-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Houstondon
IIRC, a lot of "big box" stores were opened immediately across the border decades ago to get sales revenue from people living in the People's Republic of Massachusetts. I have family in both though and depending on what services you expected from the city or state you lived in, you ended up getting what you paid for.

The bigger question here is why should local sales be taxed and "virtual" sales be exempt (as a matter of public policy)? Yeah, it sucks to pay taxes at all but if they miss getting it in one way, cities/states always manage to find another way to get more.
The problem is that the state and the government already find too many ways to get it and they're not doing shit with the money that they already take from us. Our economy blows and gas is sky high. They talk about boosting our economy but the rebate money that they sent to most of us will just supplement the money we have to pay for gas and much higher groceries. Money keeps getting taken but I tell you that the streets here in Tulsa are about as bad as those you would find out on an old country road and not much is being done to change that.
Old 05-17-08, 10:00 AM

The problem is that the state and the government already find too many ways to get it and they're not doing shit with the money that they already take from us. Our economy blows and gas is sky high. They talk about boosting our economy but the rebate money that they sent to most of us will just supplement the money we have to pay for gas and much higher groceries. Money keeps getting taken but I tell you that the streets here in Tulsa are about as bad as those you would find out on an old country road and not much is being done to change that.
So true.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.