Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How much does Hollywood Video charge if you "lose" a disc?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

How much does Hollywood Video charge if you "lose" a disc?

Old 04-09-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nateman
Most DVD players (I'm using a PS3) can play scratched discs. Mine played flawlessly, as it should, and the scratches were only very light.
So, you took yours out once and either scratched them or they got scratched when they were put in. But luckily the scratches were only mild (as they were only inserted/removed once), so you're OK with it. And you're assuming that the scratches won't get worse should you ever decide to watch the movie again.

No thanks.
Old 04-09-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
After seeing the awful There Will Be Blood packaging and hearing how everyone's discs are scratched, I'm tempted to go rent a copy from Hollywood (who has the film in a regular keepcase with coverart), and then tell them I lost the disc and pay the replacement cost.

I'd imagine it's $20-$25.

Actually, I made a long post saying this wasn't necessarily stealing, but it is. Why? You're not agreeing to the terms of the rental agreement. Stealing is taking something from the owner/legal "guardian" of the product without their permission. By not abiding by the terms of the rental agreement (i.e., customer cannot take product off premises and pay us back as a convenience), you're breaching the contract, and thus, are stealing because the owner didn't give you permission to conduct the action in this way.

Stealing is taking something without permission.

Permission is the rental contract. And you're not agreeing with it. Which means you're not agreeing to their "permission", which means you're stealing.

In any case, I say it's not worth the time. Buy a new one, use white envelopes to protect your discs.
Old 04-11-08, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know about Hollywood Video, but I work at Blockbuster, and we definitely DO NOT consider that stealing. Heck, on the receipt it states how much extra you can buy it for. But, yes, it will be cheaper to wait a month and buy it previously viewed.
Old 04-11-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peep
So, you took yours out once and either scratched them or they got scratched when they were put in. But luckily the scratches were only mild (as they were only inserted/removed once), so you're OK with it. And you're assuming that the scratches won't get worse should you ever decide to watch the movie again.

No thanks.
I didn't say I was OK with it, I was just saying the disc played without any problems.