Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

is Circuit City Dead? (Closing 155 stores in 2008)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

is Circuit City Dead? (Closing 155 stores in 2008)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: is Circuit City Dead? (Closing 155 stores in 2008)

I finally went in yesterday, and although I only looked in the cd section, the prices were the same prices they have always had. They didn't raise them in any way.
Old 01-24-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfoot0968
Thank goodness you got out before all of this.... hopefully you have a much better home of employment.

Were you there when you could get 100% of the extended warranty purchase? It was good for associates... but never understood the model.
You mean 100% commission? They actually paid 10% commission on warranties and most accessories.
Old 01-25-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
You mean 100% commission? They actually paid 10% commission on warranties and most accessories.

During my first few years there on commission, around 1997, we made 20% of warranties. Cant remember what it was for accessories though. Long time ago.
Old 01-29-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DVD.guy
Anyone know what will happen with the service plans? I have an HDTV and Blu-ray player from them. With the TV there is a number to call but with the player you are told just to bring it in.
It's a possible srew the pooch scenario. I had my 46in Sammy DLP in for repair and the guys called me today to say that CC told them to stop working on it and return it to me. Long story short & 6 additional phone numbers later, i am no closer to figuring out what they'll do with my set. There is a number they give that requires you to fax all your pertinent documents to and await a reply. Good luck on that one. I'm not too pleased now but other than buying a new set elsewhere, I am now stuck with a wonky TV waiting on the bankrupt CC underwriters to throw me a bone.
Old 01-31-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Old 02-05-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckee1
It's a possible srew the pooch scenario. I had my 46in Sammy DLP in for repair and the guys called me today to say that CC told them to stop working on it and return it to me. Long story short & 6 additional phone numbers later, i am no closer to figuring out what they'll do with my set. There is a number they give that requires you to fax all your pertinent documents to and await a reply. Good luck on that one. I'm not too pleased now but other than buying a new set elsewhere, I am now stuck with a wonky TV waiting on the bankrupt CC underwriters to throw me a bone.

Same thing just happened to me. Had Electronics Lab in for repairs on my 46' Samsung dlp 2 weeks ago & they ordered a major part. Was told 7-10 business days for it to come in. Just called them & was told they were going to call me to tell me that the part had been cancelled and to call CC. I'm still on hold (longer than Social Security) & I'm pissed.
Old 02-05-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info...keep us posted.

I wonder if I can return everything and just not bother with it. I bought an HDTV and Blu-ray back at the end of Nov.
Old 02-05-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After a 35 minute wait I finally got a human being on the CC line. I explained the problem and that Electronics Lab had diagnosed it & they looked up my warranty info. They gave me an authorization number which I gave to Elec. Lab to authorize payment for the part (engine with lamp which goes for $500+). I should have no trouble they told me at Elec. Lab. They're going to call today for authorization. I'll let ya know if it gets fixed or if something else goes wrong.
Old 02-12-09, 07:39 AM
Banned

This is fucking unbelievable. Four executives are going to get bonuses:

Circuit City Seeks $4.7M for Executive Bonuses

By Erik Gruenwedel | Posted: 11 Feb 2009
[email protected]

Shuttered Circuit City Stores Feb. 10 asked a bankruptcy court to set aside $4.7 million from the ongoing liquidation sale for retention bonuses to select executives, according to a filing.

Under terms of the “Wind Down Incentive and Retention Plan,” CEO James Marcum and John Kelly, chief merchandising officer, together with 16 other senior executives would split $2.3 million, while 137 other “tier 2” employees would be eligible to access $1.6 million, on top of current salaries and compensation.

A final discretionary sum of $750,000 would be allocated as needed.

The Richmond, Va.-based No. 2 consumer electronics retailer, which ceased operations Jan. 16, said it would generate $250 million more than budgeted from the liquidation.

The court Feb. 3 ordered Circuit City Stores to pay Alliance Entertainment a lien payment of more $1 million for the warehousing and shipment of third-party DVD movies and related content to stores during the ongoing liquidation sale, according to a filing.

The Coral Springs, Fla.-based merchandising and fulfillment-company last month filed a claim with U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Richmond, Va., demanding the No. 2 consumer electronics retailer make good on a pre-payment lien in the amount of $1,028,153.34.

Circuit City, which filed for bankruptcy protection in January prior to ceasing operations, had disputed the lien amount and asked the court to force Alliance to deliver Circuit City-owned packaged-media product to its stores to accommodate an ongoing liquidation sale.

Circuit City agreed to set aside proceeds from the ongoing liquidation to pay the lien.

When it filed for bankruptcy, Circuit City owed Hollywood studios more than $56 million for outstanding Blu-ray and standard DVD product.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/cir...-bonuses-14559

Those 4 guys should be whipped by every CC employee losing their job.
Old 02-12-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long will CCs be open and selling their inventory off? I'm broke but I should have my tax refund soon. I mean, I hear their Going Out of Business prices blow, but I'd still like to go take a look.
Old 02-12-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
How long will CCs be open and selling their inventory off?
From what I've read, the liquidators have until the middle of March to sell off the inventory.
Old 02-12-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23

Those 4 guys should be whipped by every CC employee losing their job.

Those motherfuckers. They never surprise me. The company went to shit, thousands upon thousands of their employees won't have a job soon, but they made sure to pad their pockets as the ship is sinking. How do they sleep at night.
Old 02-12-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Those motherfuckers. They never surprise me. The company went to shit, thousands upon thousands of their employees won't have a job soon, but they made sure to pad their pockets as the ship is sinking. How do they sleep at night.
On a bed of money while being massaged by two hot chicks.
Old 02-16-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

So my dad went into a Circuit City the other day. Was looking around and he discovered some new items that were not there the other day. I thought maybe he just didn't see the item before. But that was definitely not the case. They were selling hd-dvds!

I thought bringing in outside merchandise was against policy for liquidating? I know for sure Circuit City stopped selling hd-dvds awhile back so they must have it from a completely different company.
Old 02-16-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Today was the last day for the CC nearest me (in Taylor, MI). I went in and looked through the CDs (found three actually) and left. The people in there were like vultures picking meat off the bone with the way they were rummaging. I was amused though to see a CD long box that came with a "bonus" cassette!
Old 02-16-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I thought bringing in outside merchandise was against policy for liquidating? I know for sure Circuit City stopped selling hd-dvds awhile back so they must have it from a completely different company.
Having worked at a retail store, I can say that very often inventory simply gets lost in a backroom, only to be discovered months later. Even if the computer does know where it is, once it's off the floor it may stay in the backroom indefinitely. With the stores now selling everything off, they're going through the entire stockroom and putting everything they find on the floor. Which is why things like HD DVDs and CDs with bonus cassettes are being found.

Another possibility is that the items were sent back to CC's distribution centers, but stayed there, then were sent back to stores for liquidation. So the merchandise is from outside the store, but not outside the business.
Old 02-16-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

At Circuit City today, there was a sign that side new merchandise was there.