Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy not living up to "no interest" guarantee on card

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the forum though I've been reading for a while.

In December I decided to buy a flat screen TV. The add said that if I spent 1000 or more on home theater purchases and opened a Best Buy card, I would get 3 years of no interest. This was confirmed buy the guy that sold me the TV.

Everything was fine...the TV was 989 but with tax it brought it over the threshold and I also got the PSP.

When I filled out the application, they gave me a photocopied paper because they were out of the printed applications.

When I got the card in the mail I noticed that it was only giving me no interest for a year. I called customer service and she said she couldn't do anything though she could submit for it to be investigated. She said that the deal I spoke of was only for a certain brand which is not how I remember it from the ad and it certainly wasn't what the sales representative told me.

After the "investigation" they said that they couldn't find anything and if I wanted the matter continued I would have to request the papers I signed from the store stating that I would get 3 years of no interest.

Well is my case a lost cause? Is there anything I can do?

And lastly, does anybody have a copy of the ad from 12/02/07?
Old 03-21-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Well they are living up to no interest, just not for as long as you thought.

I'm sure if you search hard enough you can find cached images of the ad.

A judge will want to see those some things - copies of your application, copy of the ad, etc. Without it, it's words only and that's not enough.

What you can do is file a compliant with the BBB and OAG for your state. You can also send a letter / phone BB corporate. Be polite but firm.
Old 03-21-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
What does the receipt say? Usually it's printed on the receipt what the terms are.
Old 03-21-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
What does the receipt say? Usually it's printed on the receipt what the terms are.
This is correct. It was say both the plan number and terms.
Old 03-21-08, 11:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here's the problem:

Originally Posted by DeadMADMAN
The add said that if I spent 1000 or more on home theater purchases and opened a Best Buy card, I would get 3 years of no interest. This was confirmed buy the guy that sold me the TV.

Everything was fine...the TV was 989 but with tax it brought it over the threshold and I also got the PSP.
Generally with these promotions they mean "$1000 before tax. And I doubt they consider the PSP to be a "home theater" purchase.
Old 03-21-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Here's the problem:

Generally with these promotions they mean "$1000 before tax. And I doubt they consider the PSP to be a "home theater" purchase.
This is also correct. MSRP on the HT products combined must be post $1000.00 pre tax & various rebates.
Old 03-21-08, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
This is also correct. MSRP on the HT products combined must be post $1000.00 pre tax & various rebates.
That may be true, but that is not what the salesman said.

The receipt unfortunately does say only 1 year interest free. As you can imagine, making a big purchase like that and being handed off from one person to another to another makes it hard to make sure all the T's are crossed and I's are dotted. Sure that may not be enough for a judge but it is fraud.

I've sort of resigned to defeat although I do plan on being a thorn in their side and transferring the remaining balance before the expiration date.

I will definitely file a complaint and write to corporate. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I have searched for the ad and can not find it. Anybody else think they may be able to find it? I've searched the forums and online archives with no luck.
Old 03-21-08, 12:04 PM

go back to the store. find/ask your sales person. Ask them to fill out the "term" change form and tell them you needed that promotion.
Old 03-21-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

pay it off within a year?
Old 03-21-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Take it back.
Old 03-21-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Threaten to send sillymonkey to shop at their store if they don't honor the deal.....
Old 03-22-08, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
Threaten to send sillymonkey to shop at their store if they don't honor the deal.....
Old 03-22-08, 04:57 AM

That may be true, but that is not what the salesman said.

The receipt unfortunately does say only 1 year interest free. As you can imagine, making a big purchase like that and being handed off from one person to another to another makes it hard to make sure all the T's are crossed and I's are dotted. Sure that may not be enough for a judge but it is fraud.

I've sort of resigned to defeat although I do plan on being a thorn in their side and transferring the remaining balance before the expiration date.

I will definitely file a complaint and write to corporate. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I have searched for the ad and can not find it. Anybody else think they may be able to find it? I've searched the forums and online archives with no luck.
IMO there is no fraud...You signed it...A signed contract overrides any verbal..You will be the one who looks stupid signing a contract without
reading it..
DG
Old 03-22-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No need to say the guy will "look stupid" Its a common mistake, especially when a contract is printed on a receipt. Especially when you area dealing with shady Best Buy sales reps.

Unfortunately, I do not think there is much you can do.
Old 03-22-08, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
bwahahahaha
Old 03-22-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I tried to search on DVDTalk but sadly it was during Speedy's absence.
Old 03-22-08, 02:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I tried to search on DVDTalk but sadly it was during Speedy's absence.
I have a pile of old Best Buy flyers. If the OP needs it, give me the exact week of the sale and I'll see if I have that flyer.

Edit to add: Doh! I see the date in the original post now. I'll look for it when I get home, but it will be a few days until I have a day off to do a thorough search.
Old 03-22-08, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by chanster
No need to say the guy will "look stupid" Its a common mistake, especially when a contract is printed on a receipt. Especially when you area dealing with shady Best Buy sales reps.

Unfortunately, I do not think there is much you can do.
Thanks for the defense. While it was out of line calling me stupid, I have to admit, I was. It was a bit overwhelming taking care of a $1000 plus dollar purchase and I let my guard down after being handed off to a few different people in a business I know does not value honesty. On top of that, they gave me a poor photocopy application since they were out of their other ones.

In addition, they performed the standard task of trying to get me to sign up for additional programs I don't want/need. I didn't sign that but the rep even said that the other person working doesn't even tell the person what they are signing and makes it sound like it is required to complete the App.

Disney, the entire situation is fraud. The service I received was misrepresented and trust me, no matter what I signed it would hold up in court if Best Buy reps LIED to me. Unfortunately I don't have the will or the inclination to follow through on this so I will just have to deal with it. I don't understand people who rush to a dishonest corporations defense.

Thanks to everyone else who has offered constructive opinions or support.
Old 03-22-08, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I have a pile of old Best Buy flyers. If the OP needs it, give me the exact week of the sale and I'll see if I have that flyer.

Edit to add: Doh! I see the date in the original post now. I'll look for it when I get home, but it will be a few days until I have a day off to do a thorough search.
Sweet man. I appreciate that.
Old 03-22-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the problem is that a lot of employees at the electronic stores are either youngish, new hires, not tethered within one department in the store, eager to generate sales, or just plain dumb and unwilling to learn the nuances of the fine print on sale terms. No matter what any sales rep said, purchasers are bound by the T&C on any sales receipt.
Try to never be rushed into completing a major transaction and leaving the register without spending a minute reading the fine print on your receipt. Those are the terms you agree to be bound by and fighting them usually involves going through binding arbitration...that is, the consumer loses.
Old 03-22-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the defense. While it was out of line calling me stupid, I have to admit, I was. It was a bit overwhelming taking care of a $1000 plus dollar purchase and I let my guard down after being handed off to a few different people in a business I know does not value honesty. On top of that, they gave me a poor photocopy application since they were out of their other ones.

In addition, they performed the standard task of trying to get me to sign up for additional programs I don't want/need. I didn't sign that but the rep even said that the other person working doesn't even tell the person what they are signing and makes it sound like it is required to complete the App.

Disney, the entire situation is fraud. The service I received was misrepresented and trust me, no matter what I signed it would hold up in court if Best Buy reps LIED to me. Unfortunately I don't have the will or the inclination to follow through on this so I will just have to deal with it. I don't understand people who rush to a dishonest corporations defense.

Deadsman it may worth sending your story to the Consumerist.com. Sometimes when their story is published, Best Buy makes things right. Just tell the whole story, warts and wall. They love sleezy Best Buy stories too.
Old 03-22-08, 06:02 PM

didn't mean to imply you were stupid, just that the situation would look stupid..
No offense meant..Sorry about that..
DG
Old 03-22-08, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by disneyguy
didn't mean to imply you were stupid, just that the situation would look stupid..
No offense meant..Sorry about that..
DG
No prob. Thanks for the apology.
Old 03-22-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Take it back.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-23-08, 03:29 PM

Take responsibilty. READ before you sign ANYTHING. It is no one's fault BUT YOUR OWN. Why is it anymore NO ONE wants to take responsibility? It's the salesman's fault, it's the paper's fault because the print wasn't legible.
IT WAS YOUR FAULT. 100%

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.