DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Game Stop employees have to be the most annoyong people I've ever met (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/524793-game-stop-employees-have-most-annoyong-people-ive-ever-met.html)

JZ1276 02-09-08 06:44 PM

Game Stop employees have to be the most annoyong people I've ever met

Have to be the most annoyong people I've ever met. I'm not into gaming, but my brother is so I go there with him once in awhile so he could pick up games, etc. for his PS2. There has not been ONE time when he purchased something for his PS2 (or inquired on a PS product) where the employee that helps him doesnt make a snide comment about playstation. Today I went with him bc he wanted to pick up a PS3, and the employee that was helping him decided to give a long speech that went something like ..."one day every playstation ever made will be collected and they will all be blown up to pieces and playstation will be no more...and the world will rejoice". My brother and I gave each other a look like wtf is this guy talking about, and left the store.
These nerdy, opinionated morons all deserve to be slapped.
And it's not even the Game Stop employees that despise playstation so much and have to let everyone know. It's pretty much 75% of anyone that owns an xbox/xbox 360. Why?

tonyc3742 02-09-08 07:00 PM

It's one thing for fanboys on the net to be vocal and ignorant, but when they badmouth a product they sell...that's wild. And then to be totally freaky about it as well....
*shrug* I don't see it. I love my 360 and don't have a PS3, but I did have a PS1 and PS2 and loved them as well. There's room for all of them in the market, and badmouthing a competitor doesn't make the one I support any better.
I would have left to, but it'd be more fun to call the manager over and tell him why I was leaving, and going to spend my money elsewhere. That is, assuming the manager isn't a 19 year old fanboy too.
I went to the new GS here, it was a slow Sat night and the two workers inside apparently didn't have much to do....they did greet me and offered to take any tradeins, which I expect; then they went a little proactive and asked if I was looking for anything in particular and made a couple recommendations. Ok, suggestive selling, they're not the only ones who do it. Then they started chitchatting about, well, a bunch of nongamerelated crap to me. Ended up leaving without actually looking for any games.

cdollaz 02-09-08 07:06 PM

Take solace in the fact that life has already given them the short stick because they are video game dorks and will never have sex with anything other than their hand or their real doll.

foxdvd 02-09-08 07:29 PM

My wife bought me an Xbox 360 this Christmas. She was concerned about what to get, and if she would get the right kind, so we walked into a Gamestop so I could show her the different 360’s. She saw the price of the used 360’s and asked about those. I made a comment about the Red Ring of Death, and a Gamestop employee took this opportunity to say that no 360 in Gamestop suffers from this problem. When I pointed out that this was not true, especially for a used 360, which almost certainly guaranteed a bad 360, his attitude went into a “I am a gaming professional, trained, and know more then you.” I just left.

Any stores that pays their employees less then 30,000 a year are going to have a good percentage of these people. Quality workers are not working at Gamestop, or McDonalds.

Just so I don’t get attacked, NOT ALL PEOPLE working these jobs fit my description, just a higher number.

renaldow 02-09-08 10:55 PM

This is why I go to Game Crazy. Never had a good experience at GS, and all of the stores I've been to, in 3 different states, have an odd, junior high school locker room smell to them. That prebuscent sweaty boy smell.

domino harvey 02-09-08 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Take solace in the fact that life has already given them the short stick because they are video game dorks and will never have sex with anything other than their hand or their real doll.

Truer words have never been spoken

Smorri 02-10-08 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Quality workers are not working at Gamestop, or McDonalds.

Thats a bunch of bull crap! I've seen people doing a good job at McDonalds!

:)

jeffbrown 02-10-08 01:40 AM

what does annoyong mean?

SterlingBen 02-10-08 01:53 AM

^Hello

Minimum wage employees have to get their kicks somehow

Artman 02-10-08 03:16 AM

I try to avoid Gamestops... except when I'm trading in stuff. I just feel my IQ drop by the minute when I'm in there.

UAIOE 02-10-08 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by foxdvd
“I am a gaming professional, trained, and know more then you.”

Did the guy actually say this?

If so, this is the single most pathetic thing I have ever heard in my life. I don't even care about the "know more than you" part..." but gaming professional? I wasn't aware that the qualifications for being a "gaming professional" required working at a low-paying retail job and playing Halo 3 every single moment you aren't at work.

JZ1276 02-10-08 08:32 AM

There was also a time when I went there with me bro when he first purchased a PS2. He bought it (used), took it home, didnt work. Went back, exchanged it, and that one didnt work either. We went back a third time and then the employee started giving him some shit saying soimething like if they are not working its bc you are doing something to them to make them not work, that they test every single used console before buying them.
A few days later I went back with my friend who sold them an xbox. They took it, gave him the money, and brought it in the back. No testing at all.

Goat3001 02-10-08 01:39 PM

90% of the time when I get bad service I don't bother talking to the manager. I usually don't care enough about the service to waste my time. I just tell off the employee and leave without buying anything.

But in the case of Gamestop fanboys I make an exception. They really are the most annoying employees in the world. They'll either give you their two cents about every little thing or they'll do their best to push their pre-orders. If I got bad service from a Gamestop employee I would glady tell the manager exactly why I wasn't buying a big ticket item from them.

SI78 02-10-08 01:50 PM

I used to go into Game Stop regularly to buy used DVDs. I would guesstimate over the course of a year I did so at least once a week. Never out of those 52 visits - NEVER - did I not have whatever employee at whatever location go into a long, vocal tirade over the fact that they had to go into the drawer and place the DVDs in the cases.

And god help me if I was getting $1.99 titles which are just thrown into some random drawer without alphabetization. The level of bitching would increase tenfold.

That said, I just took it because I was I was usually buying half for me, and half for resale in essence making my purchases free. I'll endure that kind of service for "free" product.

Pizza 02-10-08 01:53 PM

A few years back when I went in to buy some games for my Game Cube (a gift from my wife) While making my purchase I got the snide remark from a very snooty sales clerk, "Oh, that game system is for kids." Sorry, I'm an adult and I love the Metroid games and, yes, even MarioKart. I also love the WII for many of the same reasons.

btlives 02-10-08 02:15 PM

Guess it depends upon the store.
There are 2 I go into about twice a
month. They are always friendly.
They are patient when I am
looking for the best condition discs.
Though I try to shop when its the
slower part of the week.

UAIOE 02-10-08 02:40 PM

I quit going to the one here because their used XBOX games are drying up.

With no good used XBOX selection coupled with no more DVD's (or CD's...god they had awesome prices for used CD's for that time they did them) and no figures, I have no need to go into the place anymore.

Last year was awesome when they had the "Buy 2 get 1 free" promotion, my Xbox collection nearly tripled.

Groucho 02-10-08 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbrown
what does annoyong mean?

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7...7806d4bjx9.jpg

fumanstan 02-10-08 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz

Hey! Us Video Game Talk regulars take offense to that!

While I totally agree that Game Stop employees are pretty annoying and I never buy anything from Game Stop that I can at Best Buy or Target, in their defense it is at least nice that a lot of them are passionate about the "field," something that's specialized enough that employees have to know a good deal about games and systems. Unfortunately it also spawns fanboys and freaks.

As for XBox owners bashing the Playstation, I think you'll find people doing that on both sides.

FusionX 02-10-08 11:43 PM

There's an oce-lot of X-Box 360 bashing by some PS3 devotees in the Video Game Talk area.

CloverClover 02-11-08 12:19 AM

Game Stop workers talk too much, strange brand of people.

renaldow 02-11-08 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
As for XBox owners bashing the Playstation, I think you'll find people doing that on both sides.

Originally Posted by FusionX
There's an oce-lot of X-Box 360 bashing by some PS3 devotees in the Video Game Talk area.

I think what the both of you are missing here is that store employees shouldn't be insulting their customer's purchases, regardless of their personal preferences.

Either of you happen to work at a Game Stop? :lol:

fumanstan 02-11-08 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by renaldow
I think what the both of you are missing here is that store employees shouldn't be insulting their customer's purchases, regardless of their personal preferences.

Either of you happen to work at a Game Stop? :lol:

Huh? I'm not missing anything, I was just responding to him saying that 75% of XBox owners talk shit about the Playstation.

I don't see how either of us working at a Game Stop would change that notion. Nice failed attempt at a joke though. :lol:

fujishig 02-11-08 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by FusionX

:lol: