Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Old 02-07-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

I don't like how they now require Paypal but I love how shipping prices are now fixed on media like DVDs and CDs.

No more seeing an auction at a great price just to realize the seller wants to charge an outrageous price to ship a DVD. I just won an auction for three box sets of a TV series, shipping was about $3.25 (though he was pushing $10 priority shipping).

Last summer I sold a CD box set that was rather large (Woodstock), I could only get $3 for shipping even though it cost $6 to ship - just something to absorb as a seller. But controlling the obvious ripoff shipping prices was a great move on eBay's part.
Old 02-07-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

respectfully i disagree. if something costs me $6 to ship, i shouldn't lose money on the deal because of ebay's dumb rules, especially when you have to pays fees to ebay and paypal. if you look at an auction and see that the shipping charges are outrageous, don't bid on it. just yesterday i was looking at an auction for 6 comic books and the guy wanted $15.00 for media mail shipping. i skipped the auction.
Old 03-16-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally like the fact that sellers can't leave negative feedback as well as the fixed shipping prices for certain media items. I personally wish that they would combine the sales price and shipping price so that you are bidding on a fixed price, shipped.

Anyway, eBay is tweaking the fee structure again. Slightly lower insertion fees but now final sale fees will be 9% of the sales price. I'm not crazy about this setup but will keep selling of course, it's still the best choice for selling smaller, easy to ship items. And remember that the 9% fee is in addition to Paypal's fee of 5%.
Dear Heat:

We wanted to remind you that starting March 30, 2010 selling on eBay will be a better deal than ever!

•List Auction-style FREE--no Insertion Fees--when you start your Auction-style listing under $1.

•Get new, lower Insertion Fees for all other start prices.

•Either way, pay one easy Final Value Fee of 9% of the winning bid (but never more than $50)--and pay only if your item sells.

•List in Fixed Price for 50¢, with Final Value Fees for the most part staying the same.
This new standard fee structure will replace the current "first 5 listings free"--you'll pay no Insertion Fees whenever you list Auction-style and start pricing under $1!*

Get complete details on the new eBay fees and get ready to SELL!

Sincerely,
eBay Seller Team

*Up to a maximum of 100 listings per month

Last edited by Heat; 03-16-10 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 03:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
I personally like the fact that sellers can't leave negative feedback as well as the fixed shipping prices for certain media items. I personally wish that they would combine the sales price and shipping price so that you are bidding on a fixed price, shipped.

Anyway, eBay is tweaking the fee structure again. Slightly lower insertion fees but now final sale fees will be 9% of the sales price. I'm not crazy about this setup but will keep selling of course, it's still the best choice for selling smaller, easy to ship items. And remember that the 9% fee is in addition to Paypal's fee of 5%.
I think sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for people who don't pay. I have had so many people flake out on paying ever since the new rules since they know nothing is going to happen to them. I like the fixed prices for shipping only because so many people abused the system for so long. Though with certain things you can actually lose money on the shipping if you insure and del. confirm.
Old 03-16-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new fees aren't bad, I didn't realize that I was already paying 8.5% final value fee (for smaller items). So 8.5% to 9.0%, but lower insertion fees, pretty much a wash for me.

As far as bidders not paying, I actually have a couple auctions like that right now. One guy hasn't paid since last Friday - if he hadn't of bid the second highest person still had a really good price (for me) for the item. Anyway, I see that eBay will be streamlining the non-paying bidder process and making it so that when a case is started against a bidder, the bidder cannot leave feedback which prevents retaliatory feedback by a non-paying bidder. Also, you can block bidders who have been reported for not paying twice in some period of time. Not a perfect system but it's better than it was.
Old 03-17-10, 03:47 PM

The thing that stinks about the non-paying bidder is that after waiting a week for them to pay, then you file and have to wait even longer in order to cancel it out to get your final value fees back. If you send out a second chance offer to the next bidder before this and they take you up on the deal and the first guy then tries to pay you then you are stuck for two sets of final value fees. I would say most people who are bidding on things on Ebay are on their computer every day. Since Ebay requires you to pay with Paypal now, they should make payments mandatory in 3 days otherwise you are a non paying bidder and the seller gets to leave negative feedback and you are blocked from leaving feedback for that auction. It would streamline the whole process and make people be absolutely sure before placing a bid.
Old 03-17-10, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RonG617
The thing that stinks about the non-paying bidder is that after waiting a week for them to pay, then you file and have to wait even longer in order to cancel it out to get your final value fees back. If you send out a second chance offer to the next bidder before this and they take you up on the deal and the first guy then tries to pay you then you are stuck for two sets of final value fees. I would say most people who are bidding on things on Ebay are on their computer every day. Since Ebay requires you to pay with Paypal now, they should make payments mandatory in 3 days otherwise you are a non paying bidder and the seller gets to leave negative feedback and you are blocked from leaving feedback for that auction. It would streamline the whole process and make people be absolutely sure before placing a bid.
That makes too much sense for the idiots that run ebay.
Old 03-19-10, 12:24 PM

I echo the comments above. I have a lot of slow or no payers on my auctions. I sell quite a bit so as a percentage it is not terrible, but definitely higher than what it was like when you could leave them feedback. If I am expected to ship quickly, I expect buyers to pay quickly unless they are bidding on other items.

The people that run eBay seem to be too far removed to understand the seller's side.
Old 03-30-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reminder tomorrow 3/31 is the last day you can list an item on ebay and recognize a small profit, starting 4/1 you will no longer be able to sell on ebay and sustain a profit as their commission is going up to 'not worth my time to sell anything and make a profit for ebay's bottomline' type levels
Old 03-30-10, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Heat

Darn...so I guess I can't eat a buck or two of shipping anymore...15% is a lot to lose. Not much to do though, you still get more reselling DVD's and Blu's there than you do anywhere else. I'll just have to watch on my big purchases to make sure I'm not buying too much that I know I'll eventually sell.
Old 03-30-10, 11:46 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing I have noticed over the last couple of years is the growing group of people saying they will never sell anything on ebay anymore....yet it still seems to be doing ok. As long as they make money, nothing changes....
Old 03-31-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do 80% of my sales on amazon marketplace now. Easier, faster, less hassle, and fees aren't much different any more. At least I can see the raw price easily (unlike ebay's various fees at various times of the selling process). Ebay is only used for old electronics I can't do on amazon (like computer parts).

That said I'm not selling as much as I used to any more, though. I doubt ebay misses me. My ebay feedback is only a couple of hundred over the years.
Old 03-31-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
The thing I have noticed over the last couple of years is the growing group of people saying they will never sell anything on ebay anymore....yet it still seems to be doing ok. As long as they make money, nothing changes....
Lots of final straws for different people. Well the new increases are the final straw for me. Im a bronze level power seller, probably $15-18K a year. Well, with their commission % increasing and postage rates going up, it's no longer worth my time for the couple hundred dollars I profit a month. I will still list items, but my total sales will probably be in the $2-3K range for the year.
Old 03-31-10, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foxdvd
The good thing they have on their side is lack of competition. I still wonder why hasn't any other company created a successful online auction site.
Old 03-31-10, 12:19 PM

For tickets someone did...StubHub. They then soldout to Ebay. I've already made other arrangements for selling tickets I don't need. F* the ebay/Stubhub/PayPal monopoly.

Come to think of it, I'm shocked that a class action suit hasn't popped up over their requirement that you use paypal.
Old 03-31-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
The good thing they have on their side is lack of competition. I still wonder why hasn't any other company created a successful online auction site.
Google needs to do it.
Old 03-31-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Reminder tomorrow 3/31 is the last day you can list an item on ebay and recognize a small profit, starting 4/1 you will no longer be able to sell on ebay and sustain a profit as their commission is going up to 'not worth my time to sell anything and make a profit for ebay's bottomline' type levels
actually, i think that this started yesterday, which makes me mad at myself. i started an auction last night and the price is already almost $40 so that means, less money for me!
Old 04-27-10, 12:47 PM
Banned

Looks like the IRS wants to make ebay suck even more. http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abu/...03/abu0258/s03

IMO, until you transfer that money to a bank account or cash a check for it, it shouldn't exist. Money going into your paypal account and being spent back on ebay or other sites that accept paypal should be no different than having a goddamn Walmart gift card, store credit for trading in games at Gamestop, etc.
Old 04-27-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Viper187
Looks like the IRS wants to make ebay suck even more. http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abu/...03/abu0258/s03

IMO, until you transfer that money to a bank account or cash a check for it, it shouldn't exist. Money going into your paypal account and being spent back on ebay or other sites that accept paypal should be no different than having a goddamn Walmart gift card, store credit for trading in games at Gamestop, etc.
The end of the world!

Exception: Very small merchants won't be issued information returns. "Small" for this purpose means annual gross sales on merchant cards of no more than $20,000 or 200 or fewer transactions. In other words, reporting is required only if gross amounts for the year exceed $20,000 and there are more than 200 transactions.
How many of us make over 20k in online sales? Or sell more than 200 things a year on Ebay or elsewhere?
Old 05-09-10, 01:59 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Is eBay grouping things together now in searches? This is becoming a giant pain to find stuff now.
Old 05-24-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have much to add, but did want to mention one thing. I'm in the middle of situation with a belligerent buyer right now and if this guy leaves me negative feedback I'm absolutely done with eBay. I think it's absolutely just flat out wrong how they no longer allow sellers to leave a negative feedback to buyers anymore. It just leaves us totally open to whatever buyers wants to do to you, and especially what they want to say to you and how they want to treat you.

Last edited by Brent L; 05-24-10 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-24-10, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What's stupid is that there is a legitimate reason as to why sellers shouldn't be able to leave negative feedback because, as has happened to me, I left negative feedback for severely damaged and poorly packed goods and was given a negative because I didn't accept his terms of having to pay shipment for a refund.

What they should have done was to fully implement their feedback-by-jury dispute idea that was a trial-run in England. Of course that might have hurt eBay's bottom line...
Old 05-24-10, 03:31 PM

It is so simple. If a buyer pays, then the seller can't leave negative feedback. Sometimes buyers can still be a pain, but if they pay, then they have done their part. But on the other hand, winning bidders who do not pay should have the stigma of having negatives on their feedback rather than the invisible strike against them.
Old 06-09-10, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gmanca
What's stupid is that there is a legitimate reason as to why sellers shouldn't be able to leave negative feedback because, as has happened to me, I left negative feedback for severely damaged and poorly packed goods and was given a negative because I didn't accept his terms of having to pay shipment for a refund.

What they should have done was to fully implement their feedback-by-jury dispute idea that was a trial-run in England. Of course that might have hurt eBay's bottom line...
I had the same problem many years ago. I bought an N64 that was supposed to be Like New off half.com from an asshole named hunting_stuff and it was anything but. It was dirty as hell. It didn't have the original AV cable (RF instead). The listing said "New controller," but it was one of those crappy 3rd party ones. I also bought a brand new N64 expansion pack from someone else that turned out to be the knock off instead of the Nintendo brand. That really pissed me off.

I quit buying Like New DVDs for the longest time because of assholes sending me ex-rentals. I got one the other day though from gamecave4412 that was pretty crazy. Scratched disc (probably buffed), cheap replacement case, water-damaged artwork, and they shipped it in a regular envelope without padding. I'm amazed it even survived the trip.

I really hate people sometimes.
Old 06-15-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Viper187
they shipped it in a regular envelope without padding. I'm amazed it even survived the trip.

I really hate people sometimes.
Thats how I send most of my dvd's out. One of them plain 6x9 paper envelopes. About a 99% success rate, a couple arrived damaged, but I dont think a few bubbles would have made a difference. Cost for the paper envelope about 5 cents, cost for a bubble envelope about 75 cents. Plus I bet the bubble envelopes are another ounce too so that adds on to the shipping cost.

You watch the movies or polish the cases? These things are going to be worthless in 5-10 years.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.