Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best place to return sealed dvds w/o receipt

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 11:17 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like the title says. I have a sealed copy of Heroes and upgraded to HD. The dvd was a gift and don't have the receipt.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-27-08, 11:36 PM

you can try bestbuy. i heard they take returns until the 31st. i returned some gifts i got and i got store credit. YMMV.

if not try borders. they accept returns. they will just give you a gift card in return.

-Kat
Old 01-27-08, 11:39 PM

target allows 2 no-receipt exchanges per 12-month period. you generally have to choose the item you want to exchange it for at the same time though. at least in my experience.

borders takes no-receipt so long as they carry the item that you are returning. with a new release like heroes, shouldn't be an issue. you'll get store credit. in some cases, they look at your ID, get your info, in other cases, they've just had me sign a sheet and that's it. but that's probably not the standard, as i think most would try to track no-receipt returns?

wal-mart will give you store credit for an unopened dvd. they ask for an ID to put into the system. you get 3 returns in a 3-month period, or that's what some people have said.

those would be the easiest stores, i believe. i think circuit city/best buy probably won't anymore since it's past holiday season, but i could be wrong. these other aforementioned stores have no-receipt returns in their policy, so it should be done with no problem whatsoever. i guess the best place just depends on where you'd prefer to spend your money? if you just want credit, i go with wal-mart because borders charges MSRP for their items, and if target makes you choose your exchange item right there, it will only beneficial if you have a comparably-priced item you know you want to exchange for right away.
Old 01-28-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Borders is your best bet. I exchanged an unopened Live Free or Die Hard after X-Mas with no questions asked. Target only allows a $20 maximum no receipt exchange.
Old 01-28-08, 07:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Some clarifications (and all this was in a thread just a couple weeks ago I think....):

Target allows two returns w/o receipt per 365 day period, but they must total less than $20 each. They take your ID. They give you a gift card, no need to exchange that day.

Best Buy until the 31st, they take your ID. One per 365 day period. They will look up the cheapest price that item sold for, and only take it if it has been sold in the store recently.

Walmart, three per year with ID. They will look up the cheapest price that item sold for, and only take it if it has been sold in the store recently.

Borders, no ID. They will look up the cheapest price that item sold for, and only take it if it has been sold in the store recently.

Circuit City is YMMV.

FYE/TWEC no returns w/o receipt.

Of course, all of this is YMMV, but the above should be pretty good based on previous threads and my personal experience.
Old 01-28-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Circuit City took back Three of the Harry Potter Blu Ray DVDs I had with out a receipt this past weekend, didnt get cash back but got a gift card and used it for their b2g1 blu ray free.
Old 01-28-08, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Walmart, three per year with ID. They will look up the cheapest price that item sold for, and only take it if it has been sold in the store recently.
Not around here (Kansas City). Walmart will give you what the item is selling for that day, and they don't give a crap if whether or not it has sold recently.
Old 01-28-08, 11:47 AM

I had excellent luck last weekend at FYE. Returned Smallville Blu Ray and got Lost BR. No fuss, no muss. Manager was extremely nice. Borders is similarly good with no receipt exchanges, though they have to carry the product in the store.
Old 01-28-08, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jewellrunner
Not around here (Kansas City). Walmart will give you what the item is selling for that day, and they don't give a crap if whether or not it has sold recently.
That's why I said YMMV.

Experiences may differ in the same store with the same employee from hour to hour.
Old 01-28-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So for Best buy, you only have until Jan.31st to return anything? Also, is that only ONE up until Jan 31, or ONE AFTER Jan.31st.
Old 01-28-08, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
So for Best buy, you only have until Jan.31st to return anything? Also, is that only ONE up until Jan 31, or ONE AFTER Jan.31st.
YMMV, but generally they accept non-receipt returns until 1/31. You get one return, they use your DL# to track, and (iirc) it is once per 365 days. So if you did it last jan 31st, you'll have to wait until this jan 31st. But they can override that at the register of course.

And they generally do not accept non-receipt returns except between dec 26th and jan 31st.
Old 01-28-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that Best Buy has changed their policy to 3 receiptless returns in a lifetime instead of a year. I haven't done a receiptless return at BB in a couple of years. When I tried to do one this year, the computer said that I had exceeded my limit.
Old 01-28-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Ok, I'm an idiot... what is YMMV?
Old 01-28-08, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I think that Best Buy has changed their policy to 3 receiptless returns in a lifetime instead of a year. I haven't done a receiptless return at BB in a couple of years. When I tried to do one this year, the computer said that I had exceeded my limit.
I don't think it was ever three per year, that is Walmart.

Best Buy also has a $ amount limit, but they usually override it, maybe that is what you ran into.

I have definitely done 1 per year the last four or so years.
Old 01-28-08, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Ok, I'm an idiot... what is YMMV?
You've been seeing this here for a year and a half and are only just now asking?

your mileage may vary

It is different depending on the mood of your cashier/manager, or some other varying reason. So don't expect the same results twice.
Old 01-28-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it was ever three per year, that is Walmart.

Best Buy also has a $ amount limit, but they usually override it, maybe that is what you ran into.

I have definitely done 1 per year the last four or so years.
Nah, it used to be 3 per year, at least in CT. I did 3 separate returns one Xmas season a few years back. Another YMMV.
Old 01-28-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
You've been seeing this here for a year and a half and are only just now asking?

your mileage may vary
Oddly enough, this is the first time I have seen this term... or at least the first time that i have noticed it.
Old 01-28-08, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Oddly enough, this is the first time I have seen this term... or at least the first time that i have noticed it.
Remind me never to hire you as a detective.

It is in 15 thread titles in the last month, and inside dozens of threads in the same time.

Old 01-28-08, 04:50 PM

Glad I found this thread...I was going to post the same question!

I'm going to try Best Buy first so return my sealed DVD. I have no problem getting a gift card for them. I'll post my results.
Old 01-28-08, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Borders!

Just returned all 3 Bourne movies on HD DVD for $95 or so in store credit that can be used on Amazon. A little bit closer to an A35 on the cheap
Old 01-28-08, 07:59 PM

Yes,

FYE is the best place to return with no receipt.

I even had a Blu Ray that was sliced open by the stocker and they still took it back.

WOW
Old 01-28-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Beau B
Yes,

FYE is the best place to return with no receipt.

I even had a Blu Ray that was sliced open by the stocker and they still took it back.

WOW
Do you know if it's too late to do an FYE receiptless return? Thanks.
Old 01-29-08, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Borders!

Just returned all 3 Bourne movies on HD DVD for $95 or so in store credit that can be used on Amazon. A little bit closer to an A35 on the cheap
Wow, I never realized you can use that at Amazon. Did they take your receipt? I have a few HD-DVD's I want to return....bought them, never opened, and now I'm mainly going Blu.

Also, did they take your ID or anything like that. I have like 3-5 movies I would like to return.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 01-29-08 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
In order to use a Borders giftcard at Amazon, you need to enter through borders.com. Once in, it's just like the regular Amazon website.

Also, I believe this relationship will be ending somewhere around the April timeframe. So.....use 'em if ya got 'em before then!
Old 01-29-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On the Border's/Amazon website I only think you can order media (books, movies, music) not all the items Amazon sells.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.