Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best place to return sealed dvds w/o receipt

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best place to return sealed dvds w/o receipt

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 09:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by 420dgl
Can anyone confirm this? I read somewhere else that they will charge your CC for the portion of the order that is not Border (BOOKs/DVD/CD). I went far as the "place the order" window and its not clear what will happen.

It would no fun to get charged for one CD on borders GC and get charged for iPod Nano on my CC. I have enough on borders GC to cover both items.
It works.

I just bought a book from Borders, and then a Nintendo DS and an external Hard Drive from amazon and it all was charged to my Borders gift card.
Old 02-24-08, 12:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I <3 Borders

I have $200 or so in gift cards just waiting for an HD DVD fire sale...
Old 02-24-08, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there making more returns today and the manager (looked like a little kid) said that returns will end by sometime next week. He said everything is being sent back to the distributor. I've been reading about the Borders "new concept" stores. Can this have anything to do with this? Is the manager just blowing smoke? He seemed a tad bothered by the return but just not sure. If its true, I want to get all my returns in coming week.

Anyone hear something like this?

Also, I figured out why now Borders don't care about returns. They will simply send back the returns to distributors anyway so way they figure it is eventually those GCs will be used at the store and ring up as revenue. Although they have not figured people using it at their online store and mostly raising revenue for Amazon instead.
Old 02-25-08, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was there making more returns today and the manager (looked like a little kid) said that returns will end by sometime next week. He said everything is being sent back to the distributor. I've been reading about the Borders "new concept" stores. Can this have anything to do with this? Is the manager just blowing smoke? He seemed a tad bothered by the return but just not sure. If its true, I want to get all my returns in coming week.

Weird. Barnes & Nobles are definately changing (tightening) their return policy next week. Co-incidence? B&N have been warning every customer each time they make a purchase, though. Haven't heard anything from Borders.
Old 02-25-08, 04:09 AM

Also, I figured out why now Borders don't care about returns. They will simply send back the returns to distributors anyway so way they figure it is eventually those GCs will be used at the store and ring up as revenue. Although they have not figured people using it at their online store and mostly raising revenue for Amazon instead.
According to the USA Today article, Borders plan to open 13 concept stores this year in addition to the one they already opened at their HQ in Ann Arbor, Michigan. You can find all these location here (on the left side of the article.) My local Borders isn't being reworked as the new concept store so I don't know about returns being send back to distributors. I am worry about when is the deadline for the switch of their online store from Amazon to their own because they are advertising their new beta site on their search inventory site now, it seems it's about to launch very soon.
Old 02-27-08, 10:26 AM
Suspended

I need to use up all my GCs before that new, overpriced to the max, store opens.
Old 02-27-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got back from my local Borders and did another easy receiptless return. However, there was a sign on the door stating that they will be closed on Sunday, March 2 for inventory. If you have any remaining receiptless returns to do, you should try to get them done before Sunday, just to be safe.
Old 02-27-08, 03:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Just returned the last of my Christmas gift dupes to Borders. It seems possible that things may be changing. All of the 6 titles I brought in did not show up in the alternate computer they check for returns, and they were all fairly recent things, like the new Princess Bride. The manager came over and overrode things, taking them all back. But I may believe the chicken little posts now.

Also, all the HD DVDs had been removed from Sterling VA.
Old 02-27-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

I do believe that you're right, Trevor. They wouldn't take back one of my DVDs(Spider-man 3), saying that they didn't have it even though I know that they did. The good times are finally coming to an end.
Old 02-27-08, 11:39 PM
Suspended

Oh shit. No!
Old 02-28-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Oh shit. No!
Eloquently stated.
Old 02-28-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Wonder if I should be worried about my one last remaining gift card (Amazon) purchase which includes a pre-ordered DVD so it won't be shipped/charged until the 2nd week of March?
Old 02-29-08, 05:52 AM

I took a legitmate no receipt return back to borders yesterday... it was a gift... and still had the borders price sticker on it... it was a dvd box set that retailed for $99.99... and the clerk didn't blink an eye... but she did have to get a manager approval to issue the gift card... she called him up there... he didn't even look at the transaction - just punched in his number and handed me the gift card & receipt... no hassle at all or any indication of anything to change...
Old 02-29-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bearkiss
I took a legitmate no receipt return back to borders yesterday... it was a gift... and still had the borders price sticker on it... it was a dvd box set that retailed for $99.99... and the clerk didn't blink an eye... but she did have to get a manager approval to issue the gift card... she called him up there... he didn't even look at the transaction - just punched in his number and handed me the gift card & receipt... no hassle at all or any indication of anything to change...
That is normal, they always have to get the manager to punch in their code. I'm going to head over to Borders later today with my final receiptless return. I now feel more confident about the outcome. Thanks.
Old 02-29-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bearkiss
Did you get the full $99.99, or was it discounted because of the current/recent box set sale?
Old 02-29-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Did you get the full $99.99, or was it discounted because of the current/recent box set sale?
I returned a box set yesterday and got the full amount. There was some discussion between myself and the manager about the sale.

Manager: Did you buy this during the box set sale?
I: No.
Manager: (to cashier) Give him full price.
Old 03-02-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, has the sky actually fallen? Are all Borders closed for inventory today?
Old 03-03-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
So, has the sky actually fallen? Are all Borders closed for inventory today?
Amazon and Borders are still in cahoots with each other. Lets hope that they keep their arrangement until the Borders site is up and ready(late April?).
Old 03-03-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was worried less about their arrangement with Amazon and more about their acceptance of receiptless returns.
Old 03-04-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I just bought a book from Borders, and then a Nintendo DS and an external Hard Drive from amazon and it all was charged to my Borders gift card.
I tried this also and it looked like it worked. My largest GC was $100, so I still had $250 I had to put on my credit card. I ended up ordering a book I didn't really want which is backordered. If the thing I bought ships OK and my GC is fully debited, I may cancel the backordered Borders book.
Old 03-19-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone attempted a Borders return recently? I have a sealed DVD that I got for my birthday last month that I would like to off-load and was wondering if they have tightened up their return policy. Thanks.
Old 03-19-08, 12:10 PM

I'm guessing this might be YMMV since it is past the holiday season but I was recently given Disturbia full screen. It is still sealed and has a yellow Best Buy sticker on it. I want to exchange it for wide screen. Should I have a strategy going in (i.e. say I accidentally bought full screen) or just say that it was a gift?
Old 03-19-08, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Has anyone attempted a Borders return recently? I have a sealed DVD that I got for my birthday last month that I would like to off-load and was wondering if they have tightened up their return policy. Thanks.
I just returned my free copy of superman on bluray for 31.50 then used the gift card online. So yes it still works.
Old 03-19-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AfRoMaN787
I just returned my free copy of superman on bluray for 31.50 then used the gift card online. So yes it still works.
Thanks.
Old 03-20-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jus10
I'm guessing this might be YMMV since it is past the holiday season but I was recently given Disturbia full screen. It is still sealed and has a yellow Best Buy sticker on it. I want to exchange it for wide screen. Should I have a strategy going in (i.e. say I accidentally bought full screen) or just say that it was a gift?
Take it back and say your parents still buy you things for Easter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.