DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Best place to return sealed dvds w/o receipt (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/523686-best-place-return-sealed-dvds-w-o-receipt.html)

Sweet Baby James 01-30-08 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow

*EDIT*

Ok, I think I realized what is going on. I did the Inventory locator and NO stores near me (except one) said YES for HD-DVD's. They all had ORDER on them. Does that imply they do not take them as returns? The Borders Express stores don't carry movies at all, I think.

That is correct. It must say Yes for Borders to take them back. The store that you return them to must currently have them on hand in order to return them to that particular store. Sorry to hear about your denial.

dx23 01-30-08 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
That is correct. It must say Yes for Borders to take them back. The store that you return them to must currently have them on hand in order to return them to that particular store. Sorry to hear about your denial.

Actually, that is not correct. What Borders means by "item must be carried by Borders at the time of the return" is simply that the item has to be in print by the time of the return. They don't need to have it in stock to accept a return w/o reciept, just have it in their inventory listing. Still, everything depends on the manager in-store at the time of the return. There are manager more flexible than others in accepting returns. I have experienced almost every type of manager at Borders, from the ones that give the client a gift card for their return to those that just pull new rules out of their asses so they wouldn't have to accept the merchandise you are exchanging.

What it always help is to be sharp with your tongue and be ready to point out their exchange policy when they refuse.

Sweet Baby James 01-30-08 11:27 PM

^

All I know is that if the store that I'm trying to do the return at doesn't have that item in their current stock, they will tell me to shimmy up a rope.

Gizmo 01-31-08 12:43 AM

Ditto to what James has just said.

wewantflair 01-31-08 04:54 AM

Mine gave me no issues taking backs items they have never stocked (Excalibur HD DVD).

DJ_Longfellow 01-31-08 07:54 AM

Well, I guess I am out of luck....the only Borders that is in the area is a good distance away, so I'm not sure if it is worth my time to try and return, just for them to say NO. Thanks for all the assistance....apparently Borders is jumping the HD ship also ;) They had a nice stock of Blu-Ray in most stores.

Peep 02-01-08 03:04 AM

^

All I know is that if the store that I'm trying to do the return at doesn't have that item in their current stock, they will tell me to shimmy up a rope.

I tried taking something that I had bought at Suncoast (a couple of weeks before they closed their only local storefront :( ) to at least 5 different Borders and they all shot me down because the item wasn't in stock.

Kmical 02-04-08 12:14 PM

I just returned two HDDVDs to a Borders in Wisconsin without a reciept. I listened to the discussion between the manager and the sales clerk. The manager informed the clerk that it needs to be something they carry in their stores, not necessarily their specific store. The two items were in stock at a different Borders store when they checked their on-line inventory, so they processed the return and gave me a gift card ... which I promptly used to get four HDDVDs on sale at www.borders.com.

They were very nice about the whole transaction.

DJ_Longfellow 02-04-08 12:30 PM

Well, i was denied again at Borders. I went to the store in Birmingham, MI (which had ALL of them in-stock according to the website). They said no, they don't have them there...oh well, looks like I have some lackluster movies to keep. Maybe I'll try CC or somewhere else.

Sweet Baby James 02-04-08 12:38 PM

Well, i was denied again at Borders. I went to the store in Birmingham, MI (which had ALL of them in-stock according to the website). They said no, they don't have them there...oh well, looks like I have some lackluster movies to keep. Maybe I'll try CC or somewhere else.

Sorry to hear it. Those Michigan Borders are real ballbusters!

DJ_Longfellow 02-04-08 12:45 PM

So, any other suggestions? CC says they NEED a receipt (according to the website). BB has always been sticklers and WalMart is hit or miss...correct? Is it THREE a year....that would be better than nothing if that is the case.

Sweet Baby James 02-04-08 12:48 PM

^

I've heard that Trans-World stores(FYE/Suncoast/Saturday Matinee/Strawberries/etc) will do receiptless returns. I'm going to try to unload an unwanted anime DVD later this week to my local FYE.:fc:

tvjunkie 02-16-08 03:57 AM

Borders barcode sticker

Do Borders accept returns without their barcode sticker? I remembered they always scan their own barcode rather than the one on the DVD box (same for Barnes and Noble,) so will they still take my return without receipt?

DJ_Longfellow 02-16-08 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by tvjunkie
Do Borders accept returns without their barcode sticker? I remembered they always scan their own barcode rather than the one on the DVD box (same for Barnes and Noble,) so will they still take my return without receipt?

From my experience, they took nothing. Although, I think they have to look everything up in the system to try and return it without their own barcode....YMMV.

Sweet Baby James 02-16-08 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by tvjunkie

They scan the UPC on the box. I never have the Borders price stickers on my returns. Only once did a clerk ask about it and I told them that it was a gift and the person who gave it to me removed the price sticker. You shouldn't have any problems(although the Michigan Borders are tough-wink-).

Sean O'Hara 02-16-08 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
I really don't understand this apparent aversion to returns that all the major stores seem to have. IF the store carries the item, and it is still sealed in saleable condition, why should it matter that there is no reciept? They are still gonna get their money for it either by someone else buying it or from the vendor when it is returned.

No they won't.

Let's say the item costs $10 for the store, and they sell it for $15. Now if you return an item that you didn't buy at that store, and they give you $15 in store credit, they're only going to break even when they resell it -- and really, not even that, because you have to factor in the overhead of running the store, so they're actually losing money. And if they return the item to the distributor, they're only going to get the wholesale price of $10, which is a $5 loss.

Now if they give you $13 for the item and turn around to sell it for $15, they might actually break even, or even turn a profit with overhead factored in, but it'll still be less than selling an item they got from their distributor.

In exchange they give out a store credit that is only good at their store so either the customer comes back and buys more stuff from them, or never returns and they get to keep the money.
That's not how the accounting works, though -- a store credit is counted against the store's profits when it's issued, not when it's redeemed. And store credits can generally be used at any store in the chain, so if you return a DVD to the Best Buy near your work, but use the credit at one by your house, that's counted towards the income of the store where you make the purchase. It might not make a difference to the company, but it does to store management, who get bonuses based upon profitability.

amplified 02-16-08 07:31 PM

I'm going to give borders a try for the last two HD DVD's that I have.

Knives 02-21-08 12:05 AM

How you get past the security alarms without setting them off?

:editking:

Kory 02-21-08 12:51 AM

I bought the one-disc edition of "Crash" for $3.99 at BestBuy.com this week, returned it to Target with no receipt for $9.99 plus tax, and then bought the two-disc edition of the same movie for $9.44 plus tax.

Also, I bought the full screen edition of "The Aviator" from Target and did a no receipt exchange for the wide screen edition at Best Buy. I've never had any problems with no receipt exchanges at Best Buy, but I can't say for sure about returns.

Trevor 02-22-08 07:22 AM

Nice fraud there.

tvjunkie 02-23-08 12:36 PM

Okay, so I was able to return 3 DVD boxsets (3-Disc, 3-Disc, 7-Disc) at Borders without any problems - got a $131 gift card, I'm very impressed, especially when most other stores are so strict on returns w/o receipt.
The old cashier lady was very nice, it took forever to check up the items in store, but she didn't ask me too many questions. The manager (who gave me a mean stare when I got those security alarms to sound off when entering the store) did swiped my driver license and made me put down my contact info with signature on a yellow slip, I guess it's standard procedures. Have to wonder how long are they going to keep the lenient policy though.

Lastyear 02-23-08 05:13 PM

Well, I was DENIED at my local Borders store. They said they had the HD-DVD's in the system, but they had NONE in-stock, which means they cannot accept them as returns. I don't quite follow their logic. They sold HD-DVD's, but apparently not these particular movies.

I'm curious how the person at Circuit City got the return to work, they are HUGE sticklers on anything I try to do there.

*EDIT*

Ok, I think I realized what is going on. I did the Inventory locator and NO stores near me (except one) said YES for HD-DVD's. They all had ORDER on them. Does that imply they do not take them as returns? The Borders Express stores don't carry movies at all, I think.

If the Borders that you attempted to return Discs to did not have the item in it's system as something they carry in stock they cannot accept it.If they do they cannot return it to the original distributer when they do returns.They are not part of their original stock,So if they take it and it never sells they are stuck with it.This policy goes for books,cd's etc.I was a merchandise mgr at a Border for a couple years.

420dgl 02-23-08 07:41 PM

Negative. As BuckNaked said, you have to link to Amazon through borders.com. You then must take at least one Borders item(DVD/CD/book). After you have added this item to your cart, click on the "shop amazon" link. You can then buy whatever you want(it must be sold by amazon.com, not a third party seller). Amazon will take the full amount of the Borders gift card to pay for this order, including the non-Borders item.

Can anyone confirm this? I read somewhere else that they will charge your CC for the portion of the order that is not Border (BOOKs/DVD/CD). I went far as the "place the order" window and its not clear what will happen.

It would no fun to get charged for one CD on borders GC and get charged for iPod Nano on my CC. I have enough on borders GC to cover both items.

420dgl 02-23-08 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Knives
How you get past the security alarms without setting them off?

:editking:

Just walk in and go straight to the cash register. Nobody even cared while I was there. I had to acutally walk out with one DVD because I could not return it and the bells went off again and nobody did anything.

Sweet Baby James 02-23-08 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by 420dgl
Can anyone confirm this? I read somewhere else that they will charge your CC for the portion of the order that is not Border (BOOKs/DVD/CD). I went far as the "place the order" window and its not clear what will happen.

It would no fun to get charged for one CD on borders GC and get charged for iPod Nano on my CC. I have enough on borders GC to cover both items.

Yes, I can confirm this!-wink- I just ordered a $20 DVD and a pair of $40 running shoes sold directly by Amazon. They have already shipped out the shoes and they took the $40 for them from the Borders gift card.