DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Best place to return sealed dvds w/o receipt (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/523686-best-place-return-sealed-dvds-w-o-receipt.html)

Space_Monkey 01-29-08 07:53 AM

My local Best Buy has a printed sign in big bold letters on the front door stating No Returns Without Receipt...

Sweet Baby James 01-29-08 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by neiname
On the Border's/Amazon website I only think you can order media (books, movies, music) not all the items Amazon sells.

Negative. As BuckNaked said, you have to link to Amazon through borders.com. You then must take at least one Borders item(DVD/CD/book). After you have added this item to your cart, click on the "shop amazon" link. You can then buy whatever you want(it must be sold by amazon.com, not a third party seller). Amazon will take the full amount of the Borders gift card to pay for this order, including the non-Borders item.

DJ_Longfellow 01-29-08 11:03 AM

Also, has anyone else had success with Borders or is it more YMMV ;) I guess it cannot hurt to try, but I just have to find time to go to a Borders.

Cardsfan111 01-29-08 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Also, has anyone else had success with Borders or is it more YMMV ;) I guess it cannot hurt to try, but I just have to find time to go to a Borders.

It's Borders' store policy to accept returns without receipts (last time I was in, I saw it printed right there at the register/counter) -- Again you have to make sure it's an item that they carry. Ahead of time, go to bordersstores.com to check so you don't waste a trip.

DJ_Longfellow 01-29-08 11:22 AM

Thanks! I will check, I would assume they stock HD-DVD's.

Sweet Baby James 01-29-08 11:27 AM

^

Borders official policy-

Returns to Borders Stores
Merchandise presented for return, including sale or marked-down items, must be accompanied by the original Borders store receipt or a Borders Gift Receipt. Returns must be completed within 30 days of purchase. For returns accompanied by a Borders Store Receipt, the purchase price will be refunded in the medium of purchase (cash, credit card or gift card). Items purchased by check may be returned for cash after 10 business days. For returns within 30 days of purchase accompanied by a Borders Gift Receipt, the purchase price (after applicable discounts) will be refunded via a gift card.

Merchandise unaccompanied by the original Borders store receipt, Borders Gift Receipt, or presented for return beyond 30 days from date of purchase, must be carried by Borders at the time of the return. The lowest price offered for the item during the 6 month period prior to the return will be refunded via a gift card.

Opened videos, music discs, cassettes, electronics and audio books may only be exchanged for a replacement of the original item.

Periodicals, newspapers, out-of-print, collectible, pre-owned items, and gift cards may not be returned.

Returned merchandise must be in saleable condition

I have done returns throughout the year(not just the post Xmas season) and have never experienced any problems whatsoever. They usually don't even ask for ID and the few times that they did, they didn't bother to write down my license number. I really doubt that Borders tracks return history at all.

Sweet Baby James 01-29-08 11:28 AM

Thanks! I will check, I would assume they stock HD-DVD's.

Two of my local Borders do, two others don't. Just check at www.bordersstores.com to see what's what in your area.

ESG927 01-29-08 12:24 PM

Well, I tried to return my DVD today (Grounded for Life S5) at Best Buy. The gal asked when I got it so I told her a Xmas gift. Who gave it to me? Geez, WTF? I told her my brother who lived in a different town. What's his number? Again, WTF? So I gave it to her and she types it in and says his first name. Well, not surprisingly, its not on his purchase history (can you say Big Brother is watching you?), beside people still DO pay with cash.....

Anyway, then she says BB hasn't had this in their inventory since September, which I find hard to believe, but it's not worth arguing about. I DID point out to her that it's available online....well, purchases online have be returned online....whatever.

So I got to Circuit City and check their shelves but find no copies of GFL so I didn't bother. I guess I'll try Walmart after work even though the hubby hates them with a passion.

I think the return at Best Buy would have been successful if not the "inventory" issue.

My two copies are Columbia House (I think) and DD during their last sale. I didn't realize I already had it (whoops!). I figured it would be a big hassle to return it because I'd lose money shipping it back. Might have to resort to that though. Already tried selling it on eBay without luck.

neiname 01-29-08 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Negative. As BuckNaked said, you have to link to Amazon through borders.com. You then must take at least one Borders item(DVD/CD/book). After you have added this item to your cart, click on the "shop amazon" link. You can then buy whatever you want(it must be sold by amazon.com, not a third party seller). Amazon will take the full amount of the Borders gift card to pay for this order, including the non-Borders item.

Wow, that's absurd and no wonder Border's giftcards are selling for 80-85% of face on Ebay.

excom101 01-29-08 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by neiname
Wow, that's absurd and no wonder Border's giftcards are selling for 80-85% of face on Ebay.

Why's that absurd?

DJ_Longfellow 01-29-08 02:18 PM

I'll let you know how my Borders trip goes...this sounds like the best idea. Apparently two stores sell HD-DVD's. I was going to try Best Buy (my friend used to work there and knows people, but he doesn't seem too excited to do it).

Borders is good....I just want to swap HD for Blu-Ray anyways.

bunkaroo 01-29-08 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Borders is your best bet. I exchanged an unopened Live Free or Die Hard after X-Mas with no questions asked.

I think this is because Borders does not use gift receipts unless that's changed very recently. Since they can't give out gift receipts, they typically tell people that they can just bring it back without receipt and exchange for store credit.

DJ_Longfellow 01-30-08 08:58 AM

Based on the above statement, does Borders generally put DVD's on sale (or HD-DVD's). I know it says they give the lowest price advertised within the last 6 months, but I don't ever recall Borders running sales really.

Sweet Baby James 01-30-08 10:12 AM

Based on the above statement, does Borders generally put DVD's on sale (or HD-DVD's). I know it says they give the lowest price advertised within the last 6 months, but I don't ever recall Borders running sales really.

I've returned some HD-DVDs and BDs this season and they all rang up for full price.

neiname 01-30-08 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I've returned some HD-DVDs and BDs this season and they all rang up for full price.

I have as well and the only ones that weren't full price were HP I-IV and they were $22.99 instead of $29.99

DJ_Longfellow 01-30-08 10:39 AM

Thanks...is there a limit you can return in one day? Just curious...I have like 5-6 now after going neutral to Blu :)

Sweet Baby James 01-30-08 10:45 AM

^

Whatever you feel comfortable taking-there's no limit that I'm aware of. I usually take 5 back as a maximum and they were all box sets(Angel Seasons 1-5 thinpaks). I don't think that you'll have a problem with taking 6 HD-DVDs back at the same time. Good luck.

browerjs 01-30-08 12:34 PM

I returned 6 HD DVDs from the Toshiba 5 free mail in rebate (Had 2 rebates come in), successfully at Circuit City today for a $180+ store credit... For some reason they had the Black Rain HD DVD in their system as not yet released, so they wouldn't take that one... Now I'll be able to get a number of the upcoming Blu Ray releases for free :)

jjcool 01-30-08 03:08 PM

I really don't understand this apparent aversion to returns that all the major stores seem to have. IF the store carries the item, and it is still sealed in saleable condition, why should it matter that there is no reciept? They are still gonna get their money for it either by someone else buying it or from the vendor when it is returned. In exchange they give out a store credit that is only good at their store so either the customer comes back and buys more stuff from them, or never returns and they get to keep the money.
I guess the stores expect everyone to have gift reciepts if it is a gift. Well, I have never gotten more than one gift reciept per transaction, and how often do I only buy one gift per transaction? Especially around the holidays. Maybe next christmas season, i will go to best buy when they are packed, wait my tun in line, get rung up, then ask them to print me out a couple more gift reciepts. It really boggles my mind.
I understand that they think some people are going to try to scam them, ie return stuff they bought for cheaper elsewhere to get store credit. Who cares? you return the item for the lowest price you ahve sold it for in the last 6 months, and give them a store credit. Again, the store will make their money back whether the return sells again or not. Plus they are pretty much guaranteed a future customer.

Peep 01-30-08 03:58 PM

I wonder why they dislike it?

You are, in effect, selling them inventory which they did not order at a much higher cost then they would had paid their suppliers, had they, in fact, chosen to order it.

Who would complain about that?

Sweet Baby James 01-30-08 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
I wonder why they dislike it?

You are, in effect, selling them inventory which they did not order at a much higher cost then they would had paid their suppliers, had they, in fact, chosen to order it.

Who would complain about that?

:lol:

fujishig 01-30-08 05:20 PM

Didn't we have this discussion in another, very similar thread, where the conclusion was basically "it's ok to screw the big stores, because they have money" or something like that?

Peep 01-30-08 05:42 PM

I'm fine with screwing the big stores, but let's not kids ourselves about them liking it.

DJ_Longfellow 01-30-08 09:01 PM

Well, I was DENIED at my local Borders store. They said they had the HD-DVD's in the system, but they had NONE in-stock, which means they cannot accept them as returns. I don't quite follow their logic. They sold HD-DVD's, but apparently not these particular movies.

I'm curious how the person at Circuit City got the return to work, they are HUGE sticklers on anything I try to do there.

*EDIT*

Ok, I think I realized what is going on. I did the Inventory locator and NO stores near me (except one) said YES for HD-DVD's. They all had ORDER on them. Does that imply they do not take them as returns? The Borders Express stores don't carry movies at all, I think.

ESG927 01-30-08 10:35 PM

As I posted I didn't have any luck at Best Buy because they claim they haven't stocked my DVD since last September (still think that's a crock of BS). Sooo, I checked the shelves of Circuit City and WalMart and didn't see it at either.

I'm kicking myself for accidently ordering something I already had....and then not bothering to return it to DD (too much hassle I said).