Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My Best Buy Horror Story and Subsequent Rant

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

My Best Buy Horror Story and Subsequent Rant

Old 01-22-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I tell him I want my $10 credit because this is taking more than 60 seconds.
Was the amount of aggravation worth $10.00? I stopped giving them my money a long time ago.
Old 01-22-08, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
First off you should have gotten the $10 credit. I would have started a stink about it just like you did and then called corporate when I got home.

But, I would not have tried to touch the guy. Everything that happened to you after you tried to grab the pen is your fault and is deserved.

Best Buy has always been good to me for one reason. I rarely deal with the employees. I avoid it whenever I can. I never do in-store pick up and I've only rarely had to return or exchange an item and when I have they have always gone smoothly.
This. All of it.
Old 01-22-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
if he grabbed you by the arm forcefully i would sue the shit out of them...
And you'd lose. He initiated the touching. The reaction was proper.
Old 01-22-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Best Buy's cs has always been bad, especially online orders. Grabbing the pen wasn't the right move but grabbing you by the arm was even worse. He physically touched you. Any attorneys want to chime in? Did the manager have the right to physically touch him since he grabbed the pen?
Yes. By making an aggressive gesture and initiating an unwanted touching, he became a danger to the employees and customers of best buy. The response of removing him from the premises was not excessive. A lawsuit would be frivolous and if I were the manager, and he sued, I'm pressing assault charges.
Old 01-22-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would think that if he kept repeating his name you would of remembered it until you could get somewhere that you could write it down. Best Buy made a huge error in holding you up and denying you the credit but the proper reaction was certainly not what you then did.
Old 01-22-08, 10:21 AM

And just imagine, this is the version of the story that's supposed to elicit empathy, who knows how much of a horror show the actual event was
Old 01-22-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a side observation:
---
I remember the last time I tried to get the Circuit City $24 gift card for me..it was a pain in the ass to get and as I talked to them about it - I had a really good ephinany - what the hell do I really need this $24 credit for?

Its almost worthless and having to shop again at circuit city wasn't very appetizing. I got the GC burned it on an Ipod holder for my fiance and I'm done shopping at Circuit City and Best Buy forever. Nothing there interests me anymore.
----
Old 01-22-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I never touched the guy. I only touched the top of the pen and I didn't even get a chance to try and pull it out. It's not like I was going for a weapon, like taking a gun for a security guard and I was hardly a threat to employees and other customers. Furthermore, his actions against me were aggressive, it was like he was practically daring me to call the number, like he was egging me on, trying to intimidate me.

In retrospect, trying to borrow the pen was not the right thing to do and I would just as soon that the whole thing had never happened rather than have the $10 credit (no it certainly wasn't worth the aggrivation).
Old 01-22-08, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
FWIW, I never touched the guy. I only touched the top of the pen and I didn't even get a chance to try and pull it out. It's not like I was going for a weapon, like taking a gun for a security guard and I was hardly a threat to employees and other customers. Furthermore, his actions against me were aggressive, it was like he was practically daring me to call the number, like he was egging me on, trying to intimidate me.
Hate to pile on, but you made a move to take personal property from a store employee. In the context of the exchange, you could have very easily grabbed the pen and assaulted him with it. Even afterwards, you had made an aggressive move toward him. Had I been the manager, you would have been out on your ass too.
Old 01-22-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cmon Doc. The other person doesn't know what you are doing as you reach for something that could be a weapon. The best solution for aggravation is to leave and call corporate or just forget about the $10...but I think you have figured that out for yourself

Last edited by chanster; 01-22-08 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
You made a threatening move towards his person. It DOES NOT MATTER what you intended. The fact is that a reasonable person would have felt it threatening.

His actions were aggressive? No they were, they were rude, unprofessional and sarcastic, but none of that justifies yours.
Old 01-22-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts
I probably would have told him to keep the merchandise, and then canceled the credit card charge. I certainly would not go back in there.
Old 01-22-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm just saying, that if you wanted to fuck his life up, best buy would fire the guy simply because he touched you. This is the biggest no no on the book. He should have called security or the police. Not saying it was right to grab for a pen, and your lucky the guy didn't beat your ass for it....
Old 01-22-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the company that I work for the customer is always sided with...

If you press the matter you'll get alot more than just the $10.

But for the record it doesnt matter what your intentions were, you were in wrong and you should be lucky it didnt escalate into something more.

But more than likely you'll come out smelling like roses still.
Old 01-22-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry P.
That was no pen.

How come this thread hasn't been closed yet and Gerry P. awarded the win? I mean, come on, people!
Old 01-22-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Pen. No-No.
Old 01-23-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nobody but you knows what your intentions are Doc, and if you reverse the situation, I think you wouldn't let someone you were arguing with reach towards you if they didn't know what they were doing. You should have asked for the pen, and if denied, just remembered his name. I still think you should follow this up with corporate though.
Old 01-23-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't decide the weakest move.

Is it "borrowing" the pen or "offering your hand in friendship."
Old 01-23-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Weakest move had to be offering his hand in friendship. If someone grabbed me, I'd tell them to let go. If they don't, it's FIGHTING time.

Doc, you should still report the jerk to corporate. He was the one that started the conflict.
Old 01-23-08, 04:34 PM

Kids today... Everyone feels they're entitled... I want pen. He has pen. I take it. I'd say 2 out of every 5 times you try that, you'll get laid out. You beat the odds this time.

If you do go back and sit down with that guy, I hope the first thing you do is appologize. If he doesn't offer the same, than whatever. Take it up with corporate. I'm not saying he's innocent here. If they advertise a $10 credit for waiting more than 60 seconds than you deserve it. But he's trying to do his job, and he doesn't need to be threatened. He's working at Best Buy for christ's sake. He was wrong. You were wronger.
Old 01-24-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah the pen move was bad. Try that with a cop.

But I think grabbing your arm was worse. He should have called the cops if he really felt threatened. And from what I have read Best Buy employees like to call in the cops. I don't think you should sue, but just complain to coporate and see how far it goes. I definitely wouldn't meet with him personally.
Old 01-24-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
Yeah the pen move was bad. Try that with a cop.
If I tried that with a cop and he grabbed me after that I'd get him in trouble and then he'd be fired.
Old 01-24-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If I tried that with a cop and he grabbed me after that I'd get him in trouble and then he'd be fired.
You wish. Here's reality.

You try that with a cop. You get arrested. You get in trouble at work. You get fired.
Old 01-24-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You will be shouting "Don't taze me, bro!"
Old 01-24-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
You will be shouting "Don't taze me, bro!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.