Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

When does the Borders/Amazon partnership end?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

When does the Borders/Amazon partnership end?

Old 02-03-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts
Well, I used my last Borders gift card to order several things. Included were 2 pre-orders. In hindsight, I should have ordered all the stuff that was in stock separately. Now the site indicates my entire order has an estimated shipping date of March 10. Will Amazon ship the non-preorders early? With the concerns mentioned previously, I sure don't want to be hung out to dry on the gift card. I was willing to chance it a bit with the 2 small pre-ordered DVDs...

I did choose free shipping and the option to send in as few shipments as possible. When I've done that before, I'll still sometimes receive my order broken up in different shipments.
Old 02-04-08, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Anyone try today?
Old 02-04-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Anyone try today?
www.borders.com

It certainly appears that they are still taking orders. Only time will tell if they fulfill them.
Old 02-04-08, 12:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
www.borders.com

It certainly appears that they are still taking orders. Only time will tell if they fulfill them.
Amazon debited my credit card for $1 today even though I opted to pay the entire amount with a giftcard (2 DVDs and a XBL/WII points card). Hmmm...
Old 02-04-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon debited my credit card for $1 today even though I opted to pay the entire amount with a giftcard (2 DVDs and a XBL/WII points card). Hmmm...
If Amazon isn't going to accept the gift cards as payment, they damn well better not help themselves to my credit card without contacting me and giving me the option of cancelling the order. We'll see.
Old 02-04-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you give us more info? When did you place the order? Was it a real charge or just a check to see if your card was active?
Old 02-04-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Amazon isn't going to accept the gift cards as payment, they damn well better not help themselves to my credit card without contacting me and giving me the option of cancelling the order. We'll see.
Ha ha ha ha. This is Amazon we are talking about. I had them recently charge a card I hadn't used in years because it was still on file with them and the card that I had used to make the transaction had a glitch which wouldn't let the charge go through. So, expecting them to NOT charge a card associated with your order just because they ignored the giftcard is quite a stretch.

I've been using a zero-balance, store-bought Visa debit card to secure my giftcard purchases lately, just in case, and I'm sure that they will still find a way to screw me.
Old 02-04-08, 06:04 PM
Banned

When you do a checkout and are in the last page, there is a warning on the bottom right corner stating that Amazon will use the gift card that you provided, but if there a balance left for the order, they will take it out of the credit card you have in file.
Old 02-04-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly. Which is why I try to only use a dead card to back up my purchase. Also, head my warning about having other cards on file with them. The CSR I spoke to made it sound like it was SOP to cycle through your cards on file until they found a working one.
Old 02-05-08, 05:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you use your Borders credit at Amazon on video games and other items not sold on the Borders website? I thought you had to put the item in your card from Borders.com for it to take the borders credit.
Old 02-05-08, 05:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by myers
How do you use your Borders credit at Amazon on video games and other items not sold on the Borders website? I thought you had to put the item in your card from Borders.com for it to take the borders credit.
Buy one item from borders.com, then shop amazon.
Old 02-06-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just had an order go through this morning and the entire amount was covered by the gift card.
Old 02-06-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You placed the order this morning or it shipped this morning? Or both?
Old 02-06-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
You placed the order this morning or it shipped this morning? Or both?
I placed the order on Monday and it shipped this morning.
Old 02-06-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just had an order go through from late last week.
Old 02-06-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I placed an order this morning and my GC was debited the full amount.
Old 02-06-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just placed a sizable pre-order using a Borders GC, so here's to hoping it gets debited when my items ship in March....otherwise, it'll take me a while to buy items from Borders due to their prices.
Old 02-06-08, 09:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparrow
I just placed a sizable pre-order using a Borders GC, so here's to hoping it gets debited when my items ship in March....otherwise, it'll take me a while to buy items from Borders due to their prices.
Every month or four they have a 40% off coupon, and a 30% is even more regular. Just subscribe to the borders coupon thread and be ready to use it, as they are often very short windows of two or so days.
Old 02-06-08, 11:17 PM
Suspended

So this is not confirmed to be happening on a certain date then, right? Its a day by day sorta thing?
Old 02-06-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's my understanding.
Old 02-07-08, 12:28 AM
Suspended

I hate not knowing...I wish they would just put an end day up so I can spend all of this without wondering if today is the last day. $150 or so left...and still have some returns left for Borders
Old 02-11-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Technical glitch or the beginning of the end? I get this message when checking any of my Borders GC balances:

Important Message -
Your account balance is currently unavailable. Please try back later.
Old 02-11-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Technical glitch or the beginning of the end? I get this message when checking any of my Borders GC balances:

Important Message -
Probably just a glitch. I've had that happen to me last year.
Old 02-12-08, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good call. My orders, which were placed with GC's and a dead debit card, went from requiring payment update (which means those jerks TRIED to charge my credit card instead of taking the GC's) to "shipping soon" with the GC's reduced accordingly.
Old 02-12-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Important Message -
I've never been able to check a Borders GC balance online, including several attempts last year. I say business as usual.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.