Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount - Used to Love You, Now I Hate You

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Deep Discount - Used to Love You, Now I Hate You

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Deep Discount - Used to Love You, Now I Hate You

Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
Well after a couple of months (at least) at the above price it just jumped to $154.08

James
Because the 25% off sale is coming.
Old 07-08-09, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to order a LOT from these guys, but when they upped the shipcosts to Canada it just wasn't worth it to also have to pay duty as well...
Old 10-26-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shit - my first bad transaction with DD...I'm six damn hours away from their location and It's taken twelve days from their shipping confirmation and STILL no package! Called customer service and the guy said to give it five more days and call back if it has not arrived. I always liked DD, but screw this. Like others here, Amazon will be getting my business from here on in.

I know free delivery means SLOW delivery, but c'mon man - six hours away and nothing yet?!
Old 10-26-09, 04:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
Shit - my first bad transaction with DD...I'm six damn hours away from their location and It's taken twelve days from their shipping confirmation and STILL no package! Called customer service and the guy said to give it five more days and call back if it has not arrived. I always liked DD, but screw this. Like others here, Amazon will be getting my business from here on in.

I know free delivery means SLOW delivery, but c'mon man - six hours away and nothing yet?!
Sounds like it obviously got lost in the mail. Things sometimes take a few weeks to sort themselves out and get either delivered or returned to sender, this is the post office's issue and not DD's fault. DD is simply following the industry standard of waiting for that before they reship.

You'll get your item. This has happened to me with various companies several times over the years, and everyone should understand that things get lost occasionally.

First time in 6 years? I'd consider myself lucky.
Old 10-26-09, 08:20 PM
Banned

The industry needs new standards. Fuck Media Mail. I always pay for the expedited shipping on DD. What pisses me off about them is items that are listed as in stock until you actually put them in your cart. Then all of a sudden they're backordered. WTF? Plus they never have a clue when an item will be back in stock. What is this, 1999? They should be able to keep track of their inventory. Hell, Amazon tells you when there's only a few of something left in stock.
Old 10-26-09, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DD's shipping was actually MUCH slower a few years ago, they didn't even ship things at times that were "in stock" for several days. But I'll never abandon them because those biannual sales are often the only times you can get a lot of small companies titles at a major discount, if only they'd carry more of them (they usually don't restock the small company releases once they sell out). I usually order almost exclusively the small company titles I want during the 25 percent off sales as a lot of times the major studio titles I want will be on sale at a better price at DD later in one of those "buy one get one free" deals.

I would never over expedited shipping at Amazon - it appears they now always send out things immediately anyway - including individually even if you aren't paying extra for that either - that extra postage is not worth getting the DVDs two or three days earlier to me.
Old 10-27-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
It never ceases to amaze me that people will complain about free shipping. There is a reason it is free.
Old 10-27-09, 01:04 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Viper187
The industry needs new standards. Fuck Media Mail. I always pay for the expedited shipping on DD. What pisses me off about them is items that are listed as in stock until you actually put them in your cart. Then all of a sudden they're backordered. WTF? Plus they never have a clue when an item will be back in stock. What is this, 1999? They should be able to keep track of their inventory. Hell, Amazon tells you when there's only a few of something left in stock.
I have ordered a few items that say in-stock and then get the cancellation email. Go to the site and it still says in stock. Heck it still shows as in-stock today. I'll order it and get the cancellation email, about them no longer having the item. WTF?
Old 11-02-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone hear yet if they're doing another sale this year? They usually do another big sale in November IIRC.
Old 11-02-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Anyone hear yet if they're doing another sale this year? They usually do another big sale in November IIRC.
no one ever knows until it happens.
Old 11-03-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it's going to happen, it will be probably next week or so
Old 11-03-09, 11:52 AM

Their summer sale was in July this year instead of June, so I don't know if that means the fall sale will also move back a month, or maybe not happen at all.

Anyone hear any rumors?
Old 11-04-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a rumor, but a theory, since most of the current sales at DD will expire on 11/09 and 11/10, I''m guessing the sale will start on 11/11. So update your wishlists.
Old 11-04-09, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Not a rumor, but a theory, since most of the current sales at DD will expire on 11/09 and 11/10, I''m guessing the sale will start on 11/11. So update your wishlists.
Yeah, whatever they do should last about 2 weeks and be over before Black Friday, so that makes sense.
Old 11-05-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hate this site with a passion.
Old 12-08-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm totally done with DD. I don't care what the deal is or whatever bargain pops up. I will never use them again to buy anything.

I bought the Beatles mono set and selected free shipping. Item never arrives. They claim it's 5-10 days. When I contact them, they tell me to wait another 7 business days. Why shouldn't Saturday count, when mail is delivered on that day? Fine...I wait and by the time the e-mails go back and forth it's been almost a month. I've been in BB and seen it sitting there and cursed myself for not just picking it up locally.

They write me and sa, "we're going to charge you again (charges are immediate on debit cards) and send out another set and we'll issue a refund which should post to your account in about 10 days."

First, I don't want to be out $420 and have nothing to show for it, also, and I just want my mono set now. It's going under the tree, sort of one of those gifts that my wife and I exchange that are for both of us to share and I'm not willing to wait and hope. It should already be wrapped and sitting with some of the other gifts.

Whether someone would do the same thing or make the same choice is completely irrelevant. I told them I wasn't interested and to refund the money and I'd buy a set locally. 4 days without a response and today they sent me an e-mail telling me they'd sent out another order and charged me again.

Against my wishes, they went ahead and resolved the problem the way that they wanted. This stuff never happens with Amazon. When you get the e-mail from DD, you really wonder if they even understand or read what they're reading. Very frustrating. Meanwhile, I've been billed twice and there's no sign according to my bank of any refund coming in.

Probably have no choice but to dispute and cancel the card tomorrow.
Old 12-08-09, 02:55 AM

I have had some issues with the time it takes to ship, nothing that bad, but what REALLY pisses me off, is that so many times I have got DVD's from them that have gotten loose in the case and get all scratched up, have to return it. Between the time I initially order the DVD and then get the replacement your talking 15-20 days...now THAT is B.S!!

And I realize it might be an issue with the mail service, but I highly doubt it, because from the hundreds and hundreds of DVD's I have ordered through Amazon directly and the Amazon Marketplace, that has only happened to me 2 times. And not only that, but they go ahead and ship you then new copy and just say, if they dont get the defective one in 30 days they will charge you.

DD wants to get the defective, then have you wait another 10 days to ship it, unless you bitch enough to them, it has worked once.

But all in all, they have some decent prices and sometimes some great sales, but its not worth the hassle to me. I think overall Amazon marketplace is better anyways, there are 2-3 sellers that are usually always carrying the DVD's I want "MovieMars" "overturn" and I forget the others, but there prices are usually on par, and many times cheaper, and if it is a few dollars more, well its worth it to me!
Old 12-09-09, 02:25 PM

I've been waiting on the It's Garry Shandling's Show complete series set since 10/21 and my set still hasn't been shipped out. If I don't get it before Christmas, I've made my last purchase with them.
Old 12-09-09, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as far as DD's shipping, i've never had a problem.. Always received my item(s) within a few days of shipping.. my only spat with them is their sales aren't what they used to be. Used to get great deals.. not so much anymore.
Old 12-15-09, 03:28 PM

I used to love DD too -- although not a huge buyer, I always took advantage of their big sales. So when this November's sale didn't materialize (at least not a "good" sale), I found items on eBay, Amazon, and Buy.com instead. Funny thing, I ordered two items on Buy.com from two different sellers, one was DD. I received the first item very quickly. I didn't even receive notice about the order shipping from DD until AFTER I had received the other item. I'm still waiting for it.....and they're only in Illinois and I'm in Indiana. I never had shipping issues with them before.
Old 01-01-10, 07:34 AM

Deep Discount's prices have been high for awhile now. I didn't buy a single dvd from them this year because their prices were much higher than Amazon or Walmart. It's getting so I rarely check them anymore.

It's getting so bad they may need to change their name for fear of being sued for false advertising!
Old 01-01-10, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zenner22
Deep Discount's prices have been high for awhile now. I didn't buy a single dvd from them this year because their prices were much higher than Amazon or Walmart. It's getting so I rarely check them anymore.

It's getting so bad they may need to change their name for fear of being sued for false advertising!
WeUsedToOfferADeepDiscount.com
Old 01-01-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by zenner22

I just checked their web site and stuff I have on my wish list and damn, everything on it is so high and definitely can be bought cheaper at Amazon or even a B&M.
Old 01-01-10, 10:53 PM

Shallow Discount?

Not Quite So Deep Of A Discount As We Used To Offer?

Illusory Discount?
Old 01-03-10, 12:30 PM
Zbu

I think my final straw with them happened with the Stepfather DVD. I ordered it during their 'Used to be 20% off the top' sale and I finally got it delivered just a day shy of the New Year. In between that, I got plenty of emails asking nicely if I would like to cancel outright, one humorously sent a day before I got a shipping confirmation from them.

I do like DeepDiscount sometimes, but their prices have taken a turn for the worse. Their big TV sale right now is mimicking Target's big sale last week except that everything is $8 higher. They used to be a good company who knew their stuff, but it's obvious there's something seriously wrong with the way they're running their business. I know the big box stores were going to fight back in some way, but Deep Discount didn't help their own position by making it more difficult. I think everything went to crap when they started to offer more stuff besides movies.

If they get their stuff together and bring back a real sale and start doing things as they once did, I'll go back. But right now, I can save more money by going to Amazon and big box stores. Even with tax. That's disappointing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.