Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best place to sell DVDs B&M

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-11-07, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is the best place to unload some dvds for cash or credit towards new HD-DVDs.
Thanks
Old 11-11-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think

I think FYE or Suncoast still has the best franchise store sell prices. With the backstage pass you also get an additional 10% in store credit (or, I think, cash). I also use Hastings once in awhile, as they have a few stores in my area. FYE and Suncoast sometimes lower the price of their buys extremely fast, so I just take what they don't want to Hastings. There might be some local indie stores in your area you might want to try out.

For online selling, I'd go with dvdplanet.com
Old 11-11-07, 03:43 PM

thanks.
Old 11-11-07, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It depends on your location because not all the FYE stores in the NYC area buy used DVDs and they also seldom match their national ads. If they happen to sell used DVDs at any particular location, then they probably buy there also. Here in the Northeast some people swear by NewtownVideo but I checked out their purchase prices online and they were awfully low on many familiar titles (and many of those they wouldn't even offer anything...Overstocked!).
Old 11-12-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're in New England, I think Newbury Comics is the best place to unload some used DVDs (and CDs).
Old 11-20-07, 08:55 PM

Would you guys have any idea how much you would typically receive from FYE or newbury?
Old 11-20-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jigga6286
Would you guys have any idea how much you would typically receive from FYE or newbury?
www.secondspin.com and www.wherehouse.com are pretty good at what you would most likely receive at FYE. Don't forget to add an extra 25% to that total if you are getting FYE gift cards instead of cash.
Old 11-20-07, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
www.secondspin.com and www.wherehouse.com are pretty good at what you would most likely receive at FYE. Don't forget to add an extra 25% to that total if you are getting FYE gift cards instead of cash.
The extra 25% on gift card rule is YMMV at FYE locations. My local FYE only gives gift cards for trade-ins, never cash. They never add any bonus % beyond the wherehouse.com values for giving store credit, and never offer any of the trade-in bonus promos listed on DVDTalk. The wherehouse.com reference values also seem to be hit or miss, since my local store sometimes offers much less than the online value.

Moviestop generally has even lower trade-in values than FYE.

Newbury Comics has the best trade-in prices, but if your local FYE offers the extra 25% they'd probably give you a little more in store credit than Newbury Comics gives in cash.