Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Barnes and Nobles Sucks

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Barnes and Nobles Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-07, 02:44 AM

Location: on my couch watching dvds of course .. where else ???
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barnes and Nobles Sucks

i had preordered gilmore girls with Barnes and Noble

i made a small error on the shipping address for my order ( typed in Road instead of Complex)

i sent in countless emails and they said that that it was too late to make any amendments on my order.

I finally called them ( i am located overseas and its costly to make international calls) after countless emails.

i spoke first to customer service for an hour.
they initially said that they cant do anything for me
after talking and talking for an hour, she said she will cancel my order and transfer me to membership department and they will do the adjustment and such for me at the membership department (i had used a one time coupon and the price of the price of the item that i preordered since the time that i had preordered)
i agreed to her doing that and was transfered to the membership department.

after being transfered to membership department, i spent 2 hours with the representative there.

initially he said they will reactivate the coupon for me so that i can reuse it for my account.

then i asked him about the price difference and can he do something about it.

he talked to the manager and they said yes but they were trying to recalculate out how i was being charged
i spent an hour explaining to him how the price was arrived at and he said he would strongly agree to reordering for me at the price which i had ordered and i would get an email or call from them within the day

i waited for 3 days and there is yet to be any calls from them

i wrote in to customer service and asked them to check on it for me

email containing the typical present answer came in that my order has been too far back to do anything

i explained the situationa again and asked them to check with the membership department for the update as that was not what i was told.

of course the typical emails came back again.

it was the same for days

now i have to call them up again and waste my time and money on international calls again.

to recap :

1) they canceled my order when all i wanted was a minor change in shipping address.
2) they screwed up as the membership department had checked my records and told me that they should be able to change my shipping addresss when i first requested it and he also did not know why no amendments was made for me.
3) he promise to reorder for me and it was not done
4) he promise to let me know the conclusion and i did not receive any notifications of the situation
5)customer service sucks as they do not even know what is happening

sorry for the long post. Just fed up with the whole situation
Old 12-23-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a question, so responses are appreciated.

I ordered the Ingmar Bergman archives through BN.com on 12/10. A couple days ago I received a teen bible instead (Bergman would have laughed, right?). I called BN to get this straightened out, and they set another order out. This time, again instead of the Bergman book, I received another Taschen book called Temple of Flora.

It's kind of frustrating to have to repackage their incorrect stuff they sent me and take it to the post office. I imagine that I will get the right thing eventually, but I asked if there was anything they could do for all my troubles and they said no. Does that sound right? I know Amazon CR's are authorized to issue some gift cards, etc., when they really screw up. BN does not do this, or my CR just wasn't willing to?
Old 12-23-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cgray
BN does not do this, or my CR just wasn't willing to?
I suspect that your CR wasn't willing (or able) to help. Next time ask to speak to a manager and you'll probably get better results.

Personally, I'll NEVER do business with B&N again after my last order. They basically decided a few days AFTER my order that I had gotten too good of a deal. Apparently, in their opinion, I had combined too many discounts. Fine, then tell me so BEFORE I checkout! So they charged my credit card extra, a few days after the sale, WITHOUT NOTICE! Eventually, after moving up the 'management chain', I got the excess charge (~$75) refunded, but I won't do any further business with a company that operates that way.
Old 12-23-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
6 years ago I did my first, and last order Barnes & Noble

Two days before Thanksgiving I order a DVD for my GF, doing this was my hope that I would avoid a mail "christmas rush". A week goes by, nothing, I figure mail will be slow. Two pass and I start to get worried. I get even more worried about it about when it hadn't arrived by Dec 10th, and so I start making some calls.

The first time I was told to "wait and see if it arrives", so I wait. Work, busy with other stuff, then 18th rolls around and still nothing. I call and talk to a CS rep and I explain that I bought it, its been over 2 weeks since I bought this DVD, and it still hasn't arrived. I was told that another would be sent out that Monday and I would have it by x-mas. I call on Monday to confirm that the DVD is being sent out and when I talked to another CS rep I find out that No 2nd order had been placed, and there was no info about my previous call/order problem left by the other CSR. I had enough of this shit and went to the B&N here (where I ordered it) and got a refund for the order.

The day after x-mas, the damn DVD arrives. The mail out date for the package? Dec 12th.

Yeah I got the DVD for free, but it wasn't worth it. After my treatment all around from trying to order from B&N, I refuse to order anything from them ever again.
Old 12-24-08, 01:53 AM

Sorry to hear about your experiences with B&N. They have so many offline stores that they should just be able to let you go to one and get the item you ordered if hasn't arrived in a number of days, is wrong, etc. That's basics of customer service and it's why Amazon owns them in terms of sales, rep..everything.