Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy employee insults my dvd purchase

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy employee insults my dvd purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-07, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't let those punks @ best buy throw you around like that! THEY WORK @ BEST BUY. The guy probably doesn't even clear $8.50 /hr.
Old 04-15-08, 09:08 PM

The only time I've had this happen to me was with someone that I knew.... so I guess that doesn't count because they knew they could make fun of my taste in movies and I wouldn't be offended. LOL

I accidentally did this to a customer once though when I worked in retail. My co-worker was checking to see if we had any copies of "The Cave" in store, and then I said "that movie sucked!" and then I noticed that she was looking it up for a customer whom I didn't initially see standing behind the computer. I turned red and immediately apologized to the customer and he just laughed and said it was no big deal. But I wouldn't have said it if he wasn't there... whenever I thought someone had bad taste in movies I just kept it to myself, haha.
Old 04-15-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Best Buy had a problem with that coupon too actually.

They should've just talked about the movie once you left. I can see doing that, be like I can't believe this person bought a copy of such and such movie. But in front of you? They're lucky you didn't just walk out.
Old 04-16-08, 05:29 PM

I bought Fahrenheit 9/11 when it came out and the cashier asked me about it. She hadn't heard of it and said a lot of people were buying it. I told her it was a guy that did a few other documentaries and he caused a lot of controversy at the Oscar's for speaking out against the war.

The guy at the adjoined register turned around and said "He didn't speak out against the war he slammed the president." The guy had so much disdain in his voice for Michael Moore it was unbelievable he would take time out from helping another customer to talk shit about my purchase. I said a few comments about my opinion of Bush and the war (which I obviously won't go into here) and he had a few comments. I wanted to stay and tell him what a dick he was for choosing to debate me this way (and btw, I love civil and constructive debates) but there was a lineup at the register so I let it go.
Old 04-16-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Why anyone wastes time talking with Best Buy employees about anything is beyond me.
Old 04-17-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's a little tip that may make it easier to navigate one's way through life with a bit less frustration:

Customer service is generally going to be poor at places that pay poor wages. Because talented, motivated, well-educated and enthusiastic workers are going to find better alternatives, the workers at the low-wage establishments are generally going to be inexperienced, unmotivated, poorly educated and/or surly. They are likely to do and say things that may seem offensive, foolish, or otherwise irritating to you. If you can't deal with it, do as much of your shopping online, at premium establishments that provide better pay and benefits to employees, or at small owner-operated businesses, or simply do without.
Old 04-17-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Inexperienced? Sure. Unmotivated? Possibly (even though most employee surveys say money is *not* the primary motivator). Poorly educated? Not sure why, unless you're just saying most of these folks are younger, and are products of the brainwashing of the American public school system.
However, if an employee is "surly" or rude, then someone else is doing something wrong--the management of that store. Everyone has a bad day sometimes, and sometimes it's hard to leave that "behind the counter", but it's the job of management to either motivate their employees to provide good service, or demotivate them from providing poor service (of course, it's awfully hard to fire someone nowadays), and insulting customers choices to the customer would fall under "poor service". I agree, if you don't like the service, shop elsewhere (however, everyone would benefit from your telling management about the issue), but to say "By going into a store, you have to expect to be insulted by the slack jawed yokels who work there" is drastically misrepresenting the issue.
"Superior service" is a rare treat nowadays; poor service should be punished, both by the consumer and the management; all I expect is adequate service (help me find stuff if I ask, ring me up, say Bye, don't insult me.)
Then again, the core issue of "someone insulting someone else (they don't even know) for their entertainment choices" is the real problem. It's one thing to have discuss the factual merits or lack thereof of those choices with someone you know, but this goes a little too far. Especially when the insulter is insulting a customer, and is representing the company as he's doing it.
Old 04-17-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Poorly educated? Not sure why, unless you're just saying most of these folks are younger, and are products of the brainwashing of the American public school system.
A low wage worker is less likely to have a college degree, or even a high school degree or equivalency than the working population as a whole, and what degrees have been earned are likely from institutions less competitive than average as well. Is that really news to you?

However, if an employee is "surly" or rude, then someone else is doing something wrong--the management of that store. Everyone has a bad day sometimes, and sometimes it's hard to leave that "behind the counter", but it's the job of management to either motivate their employees to provide good service, or demotivate them from providing poor service (of course, it's awfully hard to fire someone nowadays), and insulting customers choices to the customer would fall under "poor service". I agree, if you don't like the service, shop elsewhere (however, everyone would benefit from your telling management about the issue), but to say "By going into a store, you have to expect to be insulted by the slack jawed yokels who work there" is drastically misrepresenting the issue.
"Superior service" is a rare treat nowadays; poor service should be punished, both by the consumer and the management; all I expect is adequate service (help me find stuff if I ask, ring me up, say Bye, don't insult me.)
Then again, the core issue of "someone insulting someone else (they don't even know) for their entertainment choices" is the real problem. It's one thing to have discuss the factual merits or lack thereof of those choices with someone you know, but this goes a little too far. Especially when the insulter is insulting a customer, and is representing the company as he's doing it.
I hear what you're saying. My response is that there's a certain level of incompetence and belligerence that's going to be hard to completely weed out so long as the demand for low-skill, low-wage workers remains larger than the pool of competence and well-adjusted workers willing to work in a low-skill field for low pay. The management can and should do what it can to reign in the workforce, but ultimately the professionalism of the workforce is going to turn largely on factors beyond the manager's immediate control.