Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about Amazon Free Super Saver Shipping

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered something from Amazon last week where it said "only 1 left in stock". I chose the Free Super Saver Shipping. Now I got an email from Amazon saying that the item is unavailable! I suspect that if you choose the free shipping, then they don't "reserve" the item for you until a week later when they finally get around to processing your order. Is that the case?
Old 09-08-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Im sure that is the case.

In the old (read: when Amazon actually had good customner service) days, all in-stock items were shipped within a day or two of ordering, even with free shipping.

Since they started their Prime program, free shipping orders have been put on hold for about five days. I guess they figure if you get annoyed enough, you'll pay for Prime. Of course, I got annoyed enough that I shop elsewhere. Anyway, what I'm getting at is even if there are a dozen "in stock" when you order right now, your order won't ship for 5 days, and during that time any Prime orders will ship out right way - so by the time your order comes up on queue for shipping, the shelf could be bare.
Old 09-10-07, 07:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like marty888, I used to have great luck ordering with Super Saver and getting prompt fulfillment. I recently had a very bad experience with a pre-order of two DVD sets from Amazon using Super Saver. I ended up cancelling the order after what I already thought was an unreasonable ship date was pushed back another week.

Last week I placed an order for three DVD sets from Amazon using Super Saver. I'm still skeptical on pre-orders from them, but I took the chance on this non-pre-order because they had the best prices and I had enough on hand to watch in the meantime that I didn't care whether it took two or three weeks for them to ship. Lo and behold, I got an email two days later saying my order had shipped, which was considerably ahead of the estimated date. This performance is in line with what I used to see and is what made Amazon my most frequent vendor for DVD's online.

So I don't know whether the mess last month was a fluke or whether last week was a fluke or what. For now, I'll continue to order from Amazon if they have the best price and I'm not concerned about availability or quick delivery. Time will tell where the fluke was. I do know that any preorders will be going to DeepDiscout for the near future, or I'll just buy at Best Buy on release day.

The upshot, and the pertinent point in relation to your question, is that Super Saver is according to Amazon's policy the lowest priority in processing and shipping and that while you may get lucky, never assume that luck. What I surmise based on your experience and mine is that Super Saver orders are great if the items are all in plentiful stock; they get processed soon and shipped soon. If they are low on stock or (as in pre-orders) hedging on stock, you'll be left waiting or out in the cold.
Old 09-19-07, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On Monday I ordered a couple of DVDs and an electronic item from amazon, and I chose the free shipping, since I wasn't worried about them running out of stock. Lo and behold today I got an email from them saying that the items shipped!

Maybe if they have plenty of items in stock, they will process the "free shipping" orders relatively quickly, and if items are in low stock, they will lower the priority of your order?