DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   DVD Planet Quote Machine (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/510459-dvd-planet-quote-machine.html)

jewellrunner 08-29-07 10:06 AM

DVD Planet Quote Machine

DVD Planet has a note on their Quote Machine that it will be down until August 31 for maintenance. Does anyone (such as DVD Planet employees) know for sure if it will be up and running by September 1st? I tried to sell some dvds on the first day it went down for maintenance so I've been waiting a while for it to come back up. Any help would be awesome!

darkside 08-29-07 10:08 AM

I'm actually more worried that the trade in values are going to be severely dropped. The trade in value they were giving was excellent. 2-3 times what you can get in trade locally.

jewellrunner 08-29-07 10:18 AM

Trust me, I'm worried about that too. I put in a quote on my lunch break the day it went down (while it was still up) but didn't submit because I wanted to go home and confirm I had put them all in. When I got home Quote Machine was down. I'm betting I lose quite a bit. :(

Johnny Zhivago 08-29-07 11:24 AM

You might want to try the store forum... Maybe the DVD Planet sucks thread. -rolleyes-

Mark from DVDP stops by every so often.

IamLegend 08-29-07 06:17 PM

You will have to wait longer to trade in now :( I remember it took for ever for the adult webite to go back online...

The Quote Machine is being taken down temporarily for a maintenance. We will be back up and purchasing discs on September 7, 2007.

FusionX 08-29-07 08:30 PM

I would say prices will decrease, I ran a few through the Quote Machine direct links. I tried ones that were 7.48 the day before the shutdown, now they're 2.88. Could be just in some cases, but I seriously doubt the prices will stay reasonable and that means I can remove DVD Planet from my bookmarks.

karsten 08-29-07 10:01 PM

Can you post the direct link? I have a stack of DVDs I've been waiting to sell to DVD Planet, but may end up putting them on Ebay if it appears the trade-in prices on them are nolonger going to be reasonable. (I know that many of them were $8.98 and $7.48 before.)

WhovianZorker 08-30-07 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by karsten
Can you post the direct link? I have a stack of DVDs I've been waiting to sell to DVD Planet, but may end up putting them on Ebay if it appears the trade-in prices on them are nolonger going to be reasonable. (I know that many of them were $8.98 and $7.48 before.)

Someone posted the direct link in another thread as http://www.dvdplanet.com/quotemachine/, but Mark posted after that saying that those prices may or may not be correct, and that no quotes generated before the "normal" link is reactivated would be accepted, IIRC. :shrug:

jewellrunner 08-30-07 09:11 AM

What a load of baloney. I've never heard of a website taking down one of their major features for over a month like this. I guess I might as well wait it out to see if their trade-in prices still beat everyone else, but chances are that I will no longer be purchasing from dvdplanet once I used my remaining credit.

dvdsrule 08-30-07 01:04 PM

Quotemachine is back up, prices are lower. HD DVD and Blu-ray titles now show up in the searches.

dvdsrule

btlives 08-30-07 01:07 PM

You beat me to it...They are Not
accepted alot of previous items.
Oh well....Fun while it lasted.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 08-30-07 01:57 PM

prices don't seem bad to me. some stuff I recently sold went up actually, like seasons of seinfeld from 14.98 to 15.45

zombeaner 08-30-07 02:24 PM

wow, a lot of items I want to sell are completely gone and other items prices went way down. Not an improvement.

zombeaner 08-30-07 02:27 PM

Looks like I'm off to Movie Trading Company

moonraker 08-30-07 07:41 PM

I'm happy. Had 7 titles I was planning to sell. The new quote machine prices are better for every one of the titles in my order than they were before. And the DVD Planet quotes are significantly better than quotes from SecondSpin for the same titles -- in every case. DVDPlanet still has my business when it comes to selling used discs.

riotinmyskull 08-30-07 08:41 PM

looks like they got rid of older versions of movies and barebones releases. bummer.

examples: taxi driver, memento, apocalypse now, easy rider

FusionX 08-30-07 09:17 PM

I am satisfied with the changes. I am sure its better for business to not buy a ton of bare-bones, obsolete titles that have new versions. Some titles I sent were more, some less, but it seemed to balance out.

karsten 08-30-07 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by zombeaner
wow, a lot of items I want to sell are completely gone and other items prices went way down. Not an improvement.

Same here ... most of the titles I wanted to trade in for store credit are now gone ... and some that are there have trade-in prices too low to even bother to consider ... glad Ebay has that month long listing sale going on as that's where most of the DVDs I wanted to trade are headed.

John Sinnott 08-30-07 09:36 PM

Wow. On all of the anime that I checked, they removed the individual volumes if a collected set has been released. That's too bad.

zombeaner 08-30-07 11:09 PM

I really enjoyed using QuoteMachine the two times it worked before they screwed it up.

shyguy1083 08-31-07 02:37 AM

are the prices that appear online the same prices they will pay in-store? i'd much rather sell them off in-store than by mail since i have a dvd planet pretty close by.

darkside 08-31-07 05:23 AM

I'm glad I cleared out most of my DVDs to sell before this happened. I had a small stack to sell and checked some of the prices. HD DVD prices are good (not what I could get selling them myself though), but many of the DVD titles are now $2.88 instead of the $6 or so they were before and most are just missing completely.

I kind of knew this would have to end at some point, but I will definitely miss trading in stuff with them. Back to selling them one at a time on Half.com.

Dignam 08-31-07 08:53 AM

So are these quotes only good for store credit? One thing I liked about secondspin was the option to be paid through PayPal. I'd even take a check, but store credit means I'm stuck paying retail when I'm used to Columbia House prices.

Big Dave 08-31-07 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dignam
So are these quotes only good for store credit? One thing I liked about secondspin was the option to be paid through PayPal. I'd even take a check, but store credit means I'm stuck paying retail when I'm used to Columbia House prices.

It has always only been store credit. It's the trade-off for getting (usually) better prices. You may want to use the credit on discs that you cannot get from Columbia House.

MarkHarrill 08-31-07 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm glad I cleared out most of my DVDs to sell before this happened. I had a small stack to sell and checked some of the prices. HD DVD prices are good (not what I could get selling them myself though), but many of the DVD titles are now $2.88 instead of the $6 or so they were before and most are just missing completely.

I kind of knew this would have to end at some point, but I will definitely miss trading in stuff with them. Back to selling them one at a time on Half.com.

There was rationale in how I determined what to pay for DVDs. DVDs that had little to no sales history the past 12 months I opted not to buy or reduced the price we pay. Retail price drops also affect what we can sell a used disc for so the price we offer also dropped.

I also increased what we pay on over 10,000 dvds and that has also been noted in a message above. Paying $8 for a $25 retail disc that is on every closeout list for $5 just does not make sense.

I am sorry if some of you feel like we did this to take advantage of you. This was not my intent.