Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City complaint against ads posted in DVD Bargain Forum: Part II

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Circuit City complaint against ads posted in DVD Bargain Forum: Part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We need to hire

from the google ads on this page. It seems that all this lawyery talk has made Google just crazy in putting this ad everytime I come to the page.
Old 08-31-07, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
We need to hire

from the google ads on this page. It seems that all this lawyery talk has made Google just crazy in putting this ad everytime I come to the page.
I have never seen so many lawyers all grinning at the same time! I wonder who they are planning to sue? Nothing makes lawyers grin like this unless they are getting ready for a big "rainmaker" lawsuit!

Last edited by oldchuckles; 08-31-07 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-31-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The best way to fight this is not with only our wallets by not shopping at CC, but to let them know we are not happy and to give them bad publicity at the same time.

I propose that we print out the first topic
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8101351
and mail it to your local CC manager and maybe also to your local newspaper.

Enough bad publicity might finally get it thru their heads that it is not worth a measly $15,000 to go after Speedy and dvdtalk.
Old 09-01-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It isn't primarily about the 15K that was mentioned. They're trying to intimidate certain websites that help disseminate advance notice of sale prices. Since they've never protested this before, it would seem that Sony is propelling this matter in some form or another. They (other merchants) have lost previous lawsuits that were nearly identical and this one should be dismissed if the courts review earlier findings and decide the rulings still pertinent.
Old 09-01-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
It's astounding to me how little value CC places on good PR.

This is an absolute cluster-fuck that could've been avoided and spun into a positive for them by a well-worded statement along the lines of "while we don't approve of our sales information getting out earlier than intended, our commitment to our customers and providing the utmost value in the industry overrides such concerns."

But no, they have to get all sue-happy and flail out at this absolutely harmless ordeal and make things even worse for themselves - but I guess it's not surprising, as that's been their M.O. for YEARS. I'm surprised they're still in business...

Last edited by slop101; 09-01-07 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-02-07, 01:19 PM
Banned

In this weeks Circuit City circular they don't even have The Office Season 3 on sale, are they even alive down there or what?
Old 09-02-07, 05:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
It gets better and better...

Arrested at Circuit City for refusing to show ID, receipt
Old 09-02-07, 05:54 PM

I have been complaining about Best Buy for this for quite a long time.

If they stop you from exiting the store (receipt or not) than they are unlawfully detaining you. To make a detainment (arrest), a store employee must see you steal property or perform some other crime on site.

Before anyone starts bitching about Costco, that is a private membership club and when you sign up you are agreeing to their policies.
Old 09-02-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably worthy of its own thread.
Old 09-02-07, 07:18 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
Have you ever heard of pleading the fifth? Read the Constitution of the United States of America, particularly the Fifth Amendment from the Bill of Rgihts. It may be new to you, but, it has been a basic American right for over 200 years.
The Fifth Amendment has no application to civil cases. It's hasn't for over 200 years.
Old 09-03-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Same old shit. Some douchebag is being a dick and refusing to show his receipt and a store employee is trying to escalate it. Half the people will side with the store and half with the dipshit. Nothing new here.
Old 09-04-07, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
The Fifth Amendment has no application to civil cases. It's hasn't for over 200 years.
What would you know about it, Bando? It's not like you're a lawyer. Stop pretending!
Old 09-04-07, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This idiot dialed 911 over a receipt?

What an artard.
Old 09-04-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly
I have been complaining about Best Buy for this for quite a long time.

If they stop you from exiting the store (receipt or not) than they are unlawfully detaining you. To make a detainment (arrest), a store employee must see you steal property or perform some other crime on site.

Before anyone starts bitching about Costco, that is a private membership club and when you sign up you are agreeing to their policies.
Circuit City is a private store. They can stop you and make sure you have a receipt for your items. It is not an "unlawful detainment" for them to do this.
Old 09-04-07, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Toad
Circuit City is a private store. They can stop you and make sure you have a receipt for your items. It is not an "unlawful detainment" for them to do this.
And, I as a private citizen have every right to tell them to pound sand and continue moving. If they stop me, and do not allow me to leave they are placing me under arrest. Damn right I would call the police under that circumstance.

This is completely off topic though.
Old 09-04-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh baloney, thats not true.

"Unlawful detainment" or whatever you want to call it - is a tort plain and simple. There is a shopkeeper's exception that allows a store owner, who reasonably believes the person has stolen items to detain that person for a short period of time.
Old 09-04-07, 11:02 PM

Circuit Shitty isn't making any friends on this board that's for sure! If one of their monkeys touched me or held me against my will I would sue for assault and battery!
Old 09-05-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly
And, I as a private citizen have every right to tell them to pound sand and continue moving. If they stop me, and do not allow me to leave they are placing me under arrest. Damn right I would call the police under that circumstance.

This is completely off topic though.
I'd argue if you refuse or fail to produce a receipt, and they have a legitimate suspicion that you've stolen something, they can thus detain you (under the aforementioned shopkeeper's privilege).

Oldchuckles, if they touch you, you can try to sue them for battery. Unlikely you'll get assault, though.
Old 09-05-07, 08:53 AM

Oldchuckles, if they touch you, you can try to sue them for battery. Unlikely you'll get assault, though.
Depends on the laws of the state. For instance, unless they've changed things in Missouri since I took Civics (of course, that was way back around 1984), both assault and battery are covered here under the legal term "assault."
Old 09-05-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by oldchuckles
Circuit Shitty isn't making any friends on this board that's for sure! If one of their monkeys touched me or held me against my will I would sue for assault and battery!
What if one of their monkeys pissed on you?
Old 09-05-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WhovianZorker
Depends on the laws of the state. For instance, unless they've changed things in Missouri since I took Civics (of course, that was way back around 1984), both assault and battery are covered here under the legal term "assault."
You're of course right. With some major exceptions, each state has its own statutes and rules.

In Florida and Georgia, at least, you have assault and you have battery. A lot of people confuse assault with battery, and vice versa.
Old 09-05-07, 11:35 AM

I'd argue if you refuse or fail to produce a receipt, and they have a legitimate suspicion that you've stolen something, they can thus detain you (under the aforementioned shopkeeper's privilege).

legitimate suspicion is the key point here. I didn't catch anywhere in that guys story where he said exactly what happened. But, where Best Buy wants to check every receipt regardless (which is ridiculous where the dude checking the receipt is 20 feet from the registers and can see you paying and going to the door), I have a problem with the legality of that. Maybe they could get away with it if they had a big sign on the front of the building that said "by entering you agree to a search upon exit".

Now, if the store actually saw you acting "funny" and doing something suspicious than yes, they may have a reason to check your receipt.
Old 09-05-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I imagine that these stories have written polices re: searching your bags.

Law aside, I just don't see the problem with this. It's a mild inconvenience at most. Why people can't appreciate businesses trying to protect themselves is ridiculous to me.

Nevertheless, I imagine these stores' legal departments would not allow the "searches" to happen if they were illegal.
Old 09-05-07, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Goldblum
What if one of their monkeys pissed on you?
I would cut-off their "hose" with any sharp object I could get my hands on! No one pisses on oldchuckles and keeps their baby-making appendage for another day!
Old 09-06-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ummm... try again. Circuit City has no authority to "stop me" at all. It's a retail store, not a government agency.

I tend to not have any issue with showing a receipt on my way out of a store... as long as it is the (expected) 30 second transation.

I have, however, walked straight out of a store that had a 10-minute queue of folks waiting to leave (during the holidays). I've shopped and made my purchase. I'm not hanging around for another 10 minutes so the guy at the front door can confirm that I (or more likely, the register employee) didn't steal stuff.

Stores have absolutely no right to detain you for any length of time (10 seconds or 10 minutes) when you are trying to leave the store. Unless they have actually seen you steal something, they need to just let you leave. Even if they *have* seen you steal something, their rights are limited. The minimium wage employee at the door is not a law enforcement official. People are so quick to defer to any perceived authority, but a bit of common sense goes a long way.

Again, I'm not advocating being a douche and refusing to show your receipt on the way out of a store. But there's not need to go through anything that you consider excessive on your way out of a store. You've made your purchase and are just trying to get to your car... you have every right to do so.

I imagine that these stories have written polices re: searching your bags.
Doesn't matter. A store's written policy doesn't overrule state/federal law. A "store" has no right to search anything. They can certainly refuse to allow you to enter (if you don't agree to hand over a bag, for example). But they can't refuse to allow you to leave.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.