Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Dvdplanet Used Website down unti Aug 31st...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Logged on there and quote machine says down for maintenance until Aug 31st. Guess we will have to see what changes will be.
Old 07-24-07, 05:50 PM

Woah. I'm gonna presume the quote I put in last night at 1:30am is still good...
Old 07-25-07, 05:56 PM
Defunct Account

Ohhh, that bodes ill. Why do the need a month to update?
Old 07-25-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by videophile
I'm guessing because it's in severe need of an overhaul. Searching for certain discs can be a major pain, and the whole process can be streamlined a bit.
Old 07-25-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it "bodes ill" at all. That part of their website is fairly outdated and is in need of a major renovation. That kind of thing would take at least until Aug 31. Do you think you just change a few lines of code, and WHAM! It's all perfect?
Old 07-26-07, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was waiting to watch a few more movies before updating a new quote but I have one that is good until August 8th. Any chance I should risk it and try to get it there as close to that expiration date as possible or is my only option to wait until September and hope the prices are still worth it?

Will they definitely refuse anything if it doesn't arrive within 30 days or is that more of a right to reserve disclaimer? The last time I checked, all the prices were still the same as the quote but I wonder how strict they are based strictly on the last quote (rather than in cases of fluctuating prices).

Wish there was some warning so I could have planned ahead better.
Old 07-26-07, 07:57 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by renaldow
I don't think it "bodes ill" at all. That part of their website is fairly outdated and is in need of a major renovation. That kind of thing would take at least until Aug 31. Do you think you just change a few lines of code, and WHAM! It's all perfect?
But why take the site off line? Why not create the new interface and test it while the old version is up and running then when it's ready just switch over?

I have a feeling that the terms and conditions or the prices they pay will be changed in a way that won't benifit the sellers. I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

If they aren't going to be buying discs for a month, that means that they either have enough used ones to last a while or that used discs aren't a significant part of their business (as far as profit goes). (I would think that its a combination of the two.) In either case, if they lower the prices that they pay the situation will improve. (Less discs in, higher profit margin.) If the economic of their buyback program aren't working out well, that also expolains taking that part of the site down without notice.

Like I said, I could be wrong and I'd love to hear alternate theories as to why they didn't wait until the interface was ready.
Old 07-26-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang, I just got my first batch in, so I was prepping another, I guess Ill just have to sell them instead.
Old 07-26-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also a little concerned about their method of handling this. It seems like a long time to shut down an important (to the consumer at least) component of their business. They must not be too happy with the status quo and also don't need more inventory for the forseeable future.
Old 07-26-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a feeling that the terms and conditions or the prices they pay will be changed in a way that won't benifit the sellers. I could be wrong, and I hope I am.
That thought was in the back of my head, and like you, I hope that's not the reason. But then again, I doubt anyone is clamoring to snap up my old copy of Clean, Shaven.

Crap, and I was hoping to send off another shipment to help offset costs of all the reissues coming out this year I wanted to get (up to a dozen now!).

Regardless, they really need to redo the used section. Finding a used disc to buy is incredibly silly and tedious the way it's laid out now.
Old 07-26-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

August 31st ... that's harsh. I was just going to send in some more discs. I just completed my first ever transaction through Quote Machine and the turnaround time was actually less than 2 weeks. I hope the new one still takes my girlfriend's fullscreen DVDs off our hands! I was able to get The Third Man: CC and pre-order the new Flash Gordon and Labyrinth AE discs for a bunch of crap I didn't want.
Old 07-26-07, 10:55 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Their whole site is in dire need of an update.

My guess is that they have amassed a tremendous used inventory that they need to move before they take anymore trade-ins. After 2 months and another inventory check they will probably reevaluate their business model and may end up discontinuing or modifying their trade-in offer policy.
Old 07-26-07, 11:34 PM

^Yeah, it makes me wonder if they're just tremendously backed up with used orders. Other posters have mentioned a month-long waiting period for getting the actual credit...

They're gonna get floods of orders when they do re-open on August 31st for people selling their current copies of all the movies getting re-releases this fall (Taxi Driver, Graduate, 2001, Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Chinatown, maybe LA Confidential if we're lucky, etc.)