Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Planet problems with PayPal

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-21-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know some people (including myself) have posted in the other "DVD Planet Sucks" thread about this, but I believe this is a significant enough issue that it deserves its own thread because several people have been having the same problem. I would rather this didn't just get buried in the middle of a long all purpose complaint thread.

Specifically, if anyone has ordered anything from DVD Planet recently AND used PayPal debit service to pay for your order, you were very likely double charged and may not even know it. Apparently, due to some technical difficulty with PayPal or DVD Planet's processing through PayPal, some (all?) orders are being processed as BOTH debits from your PayPal funds (or checking) account AND as credit card charges to whatever card you have associated with your PayPal account.

If your PP account is using an expired card, as many may be, your DVD Planet order likely was reported as cancelled, even though your funds were already debited through PayPal. In most of those cases, people probably caught on and were able (or still can) resolve this by contacting DVD Planet customer service. They seem to be aware of the problem on a case-by-case basis, and I was able to resolve it fairly quickly by calling them directly.

However, if your PP account has an active credit card, DVD Planet has been charging your card for your order in addition to receiving the PayPal debit from whatever funds you use on PP, effectively double charging you for your order. In such cases, you may not even be aware that your card is also being charged until you receive your CC statement at some later time. So my advice is to check the status of any recent charges on whatever CC you use in conjunction with your PayPal account.

This obviously isn't intentional on DVD Planet's part, but is clearly some kind of glitch in their PayPal processing system. DVD Planet probably isn't even aware of this unless a customer contacts them about it. I would hope that Mark Harrill, whom I know monitors and responds to issues through this forum, could look into this and fix it ASAP. I'm not sure how many orders were actually affected by this, or how long this has been going on, but it happened on two of my orders over the last two weeks, both of which I caught because my CC company contacted me about suspicious activity.

Hopefully DVD Planet can get it worked out, because I like the option of being able to use PayPal on their site and they will get more business from me because of it. But only if it's not going to be a headache every time I put an order in and use PayPal.