Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BBuy not honoring displayed price

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering how often y'all have problems with BBuy not honoring a price displayed in the store, like a shelf tag. Or, even if they say it's wrong, how often do they honor it?

My story is I went there to buy something else tonight, and came upon Superman Returns. Picture this - three rows of DVDs - fullscreen, two-disc, widescreen - and in front of each one is a big bright tag saying $9.99.

Now, one of the tags says something about it being $5 off. Well, that's wrong, because the fullscreen and widescreen are $19.99, and the two disc is $22.99.

The store wouldn't honor the $9.99 price for the two-disc, despite there being a tag directly in front of it. I was told that price was for the other editions. Well, if that's the case, why put the $9.99 tag in front of it????

And even after I pointed this out, she left the deceptive price in place.

And on top of it all I got hassled and treated badly by a "manager on duty," who wouldn't permit me to access the real store manager.

I wasn't trying to cause a problem. I didn't go there to buy this - wasn't on my mind, didn't know it was on sale. I was just going by what I saw. When a store puts a price on something, I expect it be honored.

One of my biggest gripes with BBuy is inconsistency in handling situations like this. I bet if I got a different employee, or was at a different store, the price would've been honored.
Old 05-16-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
That sounds almost like a shelf placement issue... the tag usually has the SKU or barcode on it, did it match? They obviously can't honor it if there's not clear proof that the tag was for that edition.

I know they do make mistakes, though... I think it was JLU season 1 that had a misprinted sale tag that I took up to the register to get the discounted price. Worked like a charm, and they took the other tags down quickly.
Old 05-16-07, 08:00 PM

Couldn't be a placement issue. There were three clear rows, and each one had a tag in front of it. Three rows, three tags.

Yeah, it could be and probably was a mistake. But I expect when a store makes a mistake like that, they honor it. They can fix it after honoring it for me, but if that's what I see, I expect it to be honored.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 05-16-07 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-16-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must have just gotten a bitchy or ignorant manager. I've had them honor price mistakes that were due to misplaced items. If you get a competent manager and you call them on it without being an ass they'll give it to you without much hassle.

Most recently they had the remake of The Omen in a sale for like $6.99, but had mistakenly put the two disc of the original Omen in the sale section. I didn't think that was the right version but grabbed one anyway. When it rang up at $20 I called them on it and they gave me the low price and fixed their error.
Old 05-16-07, 08:38 PM

For once, I don't think I was being an ass. I didn't go in with the intent of pulling anything. I made it clear I came there to grab something else, and looked at Returns solely because I was scanning the specials by the shelf tags.

And this inconsistency in how the stores do things is infuriating. It reminds me of the catastrophe they had when they put Star Trek Enterprise seasons 1-3 in their ad for $44.99. Reports came in nationwide - some stores honored it, others didn't. It was hit or miss. How fair is that???
Old 05-16-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
The real question is: why were you at Best Buy?
It's so consistantly awful
Old 05-16-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had them honor a price mistake once before. It was clearly marked with price and title on the shelf display. This was at the beginning of a week (Sunday) someone had just forgotten to take down the old price sticker (ending Saturday). They corrected it while at the same honoring it for my purchase.
Old 05-16-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With Best Buy, there is always at least one ass.
If it ain't you, then it will surely be them.
Old 05-16-07, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Why? - Splash, $7.50.
Old 05-20-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
I've had them honor a price "mistake" for season sets of 3's company for $11.99 with $4.00 instant savings. I think they intended it to be only on Season 1 but their sign didn't specify. So I got all the available season through season 5 for $7.99 each.
Old 05-22-07, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
New 40 Year Old Virigin DVD with free ticket to Knocked Up only $12.99
Old 05-22-07, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
New 40 Year Old Virigin DVD with free ticket to Knocked Up only $12.99
So go to Wal-Mart and price match. I see that CC also has the release but for $17.99 with the MovieCash also. Is this really a BB exclusive?
Old 05-22-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This has happened to me and I have left merchandise on the counter and walked out. I have even brought the sign to the register and they still refuse to honor the price.
Old 05-22-07, 01:00 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Xbox69
So go to Wal-Mart and price match. I see that CC also has the release but for $17.99 with the MovieCash also. Is this really a BB exclusive?
Around here the Best Buys tend to have MUCH better service than the CCs and Wal-marts...
Old 05-23-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, that sounds like worst buy although NO company is legally required to honor a labeled incorrect price. Now, should they? Of course. But that is the law and I have to deal with it. Oh well. The best way to express your disatisfaction is by not spending your $$ there. I know I haven't shopped there intentionally in years not counting the 2 for 9.99 fiasco a while back.
Old 05-23-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
It reminds me of the catastrophe they had when they put Star Trek Enterprise seasons 1-3 in their ad for $44.99. Reports came in nationwide - some stores honored it, others didn't. It was hit or miss. How fair is that???
I got caught up in that myself. Went into Best Buy on Wednesday, no ad retractions, and the shelf tags and advertising still stated the 'sale' price. They refused to sell it because it was mispriced. I stupidly didn't really argue beyond pointing out the ad, but I did submit a complaint to the BBB. They never got back to me either.

It's gone from "the customer is always right" to "the customer is the mortal enemy". I've stated many times that it seems customer service is just non-existant these days.
Old 05-23-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"but I did submit a complaint to the BBB"

Not to be negative but I would not waste your time. The BBB is PAID by the business they have on their list. Therefore, they work for the companies. They could give a rip about anyone else.
Old 05-23-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Yea, that sounds like worst buy although NO company is legally required to honor a labeled incorrect price. Now, should they? Of course. But that is the law and I have to deal with it. Oh well. The best way to express your disatisfaction is by not spending your $$ there. I know I haven't shopped there intentionally in years not counting the 2 for 9.99 fiasco a while back.
They have tried to screw me before. I have only shopped there when absolutely necessary (GC's, etc) Admittedly I've historically been one of their "Devil" customers or whatever...so they probably don't miss me much.

I bought a wine fridge from them awhile ago. It retailed for $500, they sold it originally for $450. It was marked down to $400. I found one that was a scratch and dent (the top one had a 4" dent in it...pretty significant, but I put a cover over it). I talked with the manager there, and everyone look for a higher end fridge (at least that they sell in the store) didn't want it...so I got it for $200-$225 + tax.

The best part about it...i used a $150 GC and store credit from a bunch of dvd's I got for gifts!

-p
Old 05-23-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I thought they are legally required to honor the incorrect price, otherwise it's bait and switch or something like that? That may just be California, however.
Old 05-23-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kali-FORNIA is its own country....they have weird laws about all sorts of stuff!

-p
Old 05-23-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"but I did submit a complaint to the BBB"

Not to be negative but I would not waste your time. The BBB is PAID by the business they have on their list. Therefore, they work for the companies. They could give a rip about anyone else.
The two times I've filed a complaint with the BBB my issue was resolved within 2 weeks.
Old 05-23-07, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
Who said it was a best buy exclusive? I said they have it for 12.99 while everyone else has it for 17.99-19.99. Best Buy is giving the best buy on that one. If you want to price match it, go ahead and do so.
Old 05-23-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
The two times I've filed a complaint with the BBB my issue was resolved within 2 weeks.
I own my own business and we're members of the BBB, and trust me, they really don't care who pays them.

We've only had one official complaint and it was from a complete nutjob. The BBB rep even told me that it's plain to see the complaint was purely revenge and nothing wrong was done, but they still went through a painstakingly long and thorough process of fact finding and reporting. They eventually did rule in our favor and our record was cleared, but that was a HUGE pain in the ass.
Old 05-23-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
Who said it was a best buy exclusive? I said they have it for 12.99 while everyone else has it for 17.99-19.99. Best Buy is giving the best buy on that one. If you want to price match it, go ahead and do so.
I know now it isn't but if you look at their own ad there's the "minimum 5 per store" wording. Just kind of misleading.
Old 05-24-07, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I own my own business and we're members of the BBB, and trust me, they really don't care who pays them.
Each individual office of the BBB sets their own policies with respect to resolving complaints, but it is common enough that complaints against dues-paying members will be treated as 'resolved' under much less stringent requirements than for non-members. Some BBB offices automatically 'resolve' any complaint against a dues-paying member after a period of time like 6-9 months, while similar complaints against non-paying members become part of the permanent record.

We've only had one official complaint and it was from a complete nutjob.
With all due respect, with a sample size of one where the complaint was bogus, you really don't have any experience dealing with valid complaints filed through the BBB. It's entirely possible you would get the same painstakingly long and thorough fact-finding process and still be absolved of a legit complaint.

In addition, if the BBB were 100% bogus they would quickly lose their sterling reputation. But even if they did a bogus job only 20% of the time, that's still 20% way too much for an organization that promotes themselves as being a consumer advocate, yet that 80% success rate would go along ways to maintaining their reputation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.