Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What's coming up that people would be camping out at Best Buy for?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-15-06, 01:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went to BB during lunch to pick up something and there was a line of people camping out outside. I meant to ask the cashier but forgot... anyone know what's going on? Could it be just a local thing or is this happening elsewhere too?
Old 11-15-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably the Playstation 3, I saw a blurb on the news about it last night (showing people camped out).
Old 11-15-06, 02:03 PM

It is PS3
Old 11-15-06, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the same thing - literally "camping" - some people really went all out to stay comfy.

FYI, the PS3 comes out Friday. They'll be there for a few more days - I expect the line to be much longer by Thursday night (of course, if those people at the back are able to get a PS3, that's another issue).
Old 11-15-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what do they do with their tents and sleeping bags when the store opens? just leave their stuff outside?
Old 11-15-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They just showed a Circuit City on the local news where people are camping out to buy the 100 PS3 at midnight that they have. The two guys they interviewed said they were hoping to sell them for $2,000.00.

Old 11-15-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the best buy near where i got lunch today said they called the police after they asked the people to leave and they refused.
Old 11-16-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Local news here in NYC reported some people started the line at CC in Union Square this past Sunday. It will be interestng to see how well they fare tonight, when there is a prediction of very heavy overnight rain and wind.
Old 11-16-06, 08:29 AM

I find the whole thing absolutely ridiculous. Of course, I am not a hardcore gamer, so that is likely why. However, by most accounts, the PS3 is buggy, just like the XBOX 360 was when it came out. Why put yourself through all this for a buggy console, when more units are coming. Honestly, the only reason I would camp out would be for profiteering. Not a popular sentiment, I know, but its the truth.
Old 11-16-06, 09:00 AM

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,119 Posts
Joe Mama.

G'night, everybody.
Old 11-16-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I find the whole thing absolutely ridiculous. Of course, I am not a hardcore gamer, so that is likely why.
When you see that a PS3 is going for $2000 on eBay, it seems less and less ridiculous to me. If I didn't have a job, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Grab a PS3 or two, sell on eBay, then if I REALLY wanted one, I'd buy it in 6 months when supply can better meet demand. In the interim, I'd take a sweet vacation with my PS3 cash.
Old 11-16-06, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
Local news here in NYC reported some people started the line at CC in Union Square this past Sunday. It will be interestng to see how well they fare tonight, when there is a prediction of very heavy overnight rain and wind.

It's been raining here all morning so those people I saw in line yesterday are getting soaked right now I hear there are tonado warnings for the area too...
Old 11-16-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
They're lining up already? I knew Big Tuesday is just coming up but I didn't think I'd line up before Sunday or Monday. If you're saying people are ALREADY in line for what I can only assume to be the biggest DVD release of the past four years, then I have to go. I hope I meet other How I Met Your Mother fans in line. We can discuss our favorite S1 episodes! Mine's "Slutty Pumpkin".

I have to make sure my camera has plenty of film as I'll be updating this live on my MetMomBlog! Stay tuned!!! Big Tuesday is almost here!
Old 11-16-06, 01:43 PM

In Portland, OR some guy is paying four people a $100 each to wait in line for him to each buy the "one per customer" PS3 so he can sell them on the internet. It made the front page of the Portland paper!
Old 11-16-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They were saying on my local news that Ebay was limiting the number of PS3s one seller could sell to one, and you would have to have more than 50 items sold before the auction started and 100% approval rating.

Is that true?

Of course, people will get around it by selling a bundle of CD-Rs or something for $2000.00 and you get a "free" PS3 with purchase...
Old 11-16-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
They were saying on my local news that Ebay was limiting the number of PS3s one seller could sell to one, and you would have to have more than 50 items sold before the auction started and 100% approval rating.

Is that true?

Of course, people will get around it by selling a bundle of CD-Rs or something for $2000.00 and you get a "free" PS3 with purchase...
I heard that too, but we all know E-Bay and how they enforce their rules.
Old 11-16-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Morf
If I didn't have a job, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Grab a PS3 or two, sell on eBay, then if I REALLY wanted one, I'd buy it in 6 months when supply can better meet demand. In the interim, I'd take a sweet vacation with my PS3 cash.
I sure hope people who don't have jobs are spending what little money I presume they have on more reasonable items, like I don't know, food or rent.

IMO the only thing worse than these nutjobs who are camping out to buy a buggy PS3 are the idiots who will pay $2000 on Ebay for a buggy PS3. I personally will wait a year or two until the price goes down and the bugs have been worked out.
Old 11-16-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Nope the worst ones are those idiots that put a gun in someones face over something like this. On Gamespot they flashed the latest on this crap and already in...I know this is a shocker...C.A... armed men heldup a Gamestop and in Orgeon three held up outside a mall. Put it down someone is going to get killed over this.

Kenny J.
Old 11-17-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
What do they do for bathroom requirements?
Old 11-17-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Nope the worst ones are those idiots that put a gun in someones face over something like this. On Gamespot they flashed the latest on this crap and already in...I know this is a shocker...C.A... armed men heldup a Gamestop and in Orgeon three held up outside a mall. Put it down someone is going to get killed over this.

Kenny J.
The Blockbuster I go to told me they are only getting ONE PS3 in, and employees cannot buy them (at least not at their own store). I thought the same thing to myself too, that somebody is going to get shot or mugged over that thing.

Seriously, this thing not only costs too much money but it costs too much of my personal safety to worry about getting it this early. If I want it, it's best to wait for it.
Old 11-17-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones

Kenny J.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061117/...ation_shooting
Old 11-17-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Are you sure they are not camping out for the Golden Girls:Season Six boxset?
Old 11-17-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Quatermass
Are you sure they are not camping out for the Golden Girls:Season Six boxset?
Fans of that show had lined up earlier today but at 3:30pm they got hungry, gave up and went out to dinner.