Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

best store for returns w/o a receipt

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-29-06, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not sure if this thread is allowed as it may raise an ethical question, but what is the best store to return an unopened dvd without a receipt for store credit? I have a gift from an aunt on the other side of the country that she mailed to me, but of course i already have it. what store(s) give you the least amount of hastle for a situation like this?

EDIT: 'unopened dvd'

Last edited by wennma01; 10-29-06 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-29-06, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by wennma01
i'm not sure if this thread is allowed as it may raise an ethical question, but what is the best store to return an opened dvd without a receipt for store credit? I have a gift from an aunt on the other side of the country that she mailed to me, but of course i already have it. what store(s) give you the least amount of hastle for a situation like this?
I Don't thank any stores take back opened movies unless they are defective and only then to trade fro the same one.

Walmart can be felxible at times though ymmv
Old 10-29-06, 10:02 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
My Best Buy doesn't take back anything without a receipt anymore. They used to use the 3 times rule, but not anymore.
Old 10-29-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Borders is a hassle free store for a no-receipt return, but that's only if the DVD is unopened. Costco is the only store that I know of that will give a refund on an opened DVD. I would wait two months until after Christmas when stores are a little more lenient on shady returns.

What you could try to do is to buy the DVD from the store that you want to receive the store credit. You could then try and return the opened DVD with the new receipt(they might not give you as much trouble for returning an opened DVD if you have a receipt than they would if you don't have a receipt). You could then return the sealed DVD without a receipt to Borders for a Gift Card. The great thing about Borders Gift Cards is that you can use them online at Amazon.
Old 10-29-06, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by wennma01
i'm not sure if this thread is allowed as it may raise an ethical question, but what is the best store to return an opened dvd without a receipt for store credit? I have a gift from an aunt on the other side of the country that she mailed to me, but of course i already have it. what store(s) give you the least amount of hastle for a situation like this?
Got it as a gift and its open and you want to return it for something else? Good Luck!
Old 10-29-06, 12:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hmm...why would you open the DVD knowing you already owned it?
Old 10-29-06, 07:14 PM

I think the poster meant to say unopened DVD, not opened. Anyway, I've had good luck at Best Buy right after Christmas. Especially if you show up on the 26th. They do take your name and info, but if you're just looking to get something else instead I don't think it's a big deal.
Old 10-29-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
Not to be completely unethical ( I do not promote doing this)
but if it is opened, just exchange it for the same DVD sealed, then take that DVD to another store and return it. Of course you didn't hear that from me.
Old 10-29-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
The one time I tried to exchange something opened for something unopened without receipt, when they gave me the new one, they opened it before giving it to me [Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis from TRU].

I think WalMart is the most flexible with their no-receipt return policy, but you're going to have an uphill battle getting anyone to give you full value for an opened, nondefective DVD. Target took a DVD from me with no receipt, but I had to use the credit that day and on something from the same department.

You could always put it on Ebay, Half.com or Amazon.com. Legal and relatively hassle-free.

Why is returning something without a receipt so verboten? Speaking theoretically, if I buy something new for X, and return it mint/unopened, complying with a store's policy for Y, and Y happens to be greater than X, what's really wrong? The store gets an item they can sell, I get credit, and I spend that credit at that same store, so all that's happened really is a barter. Is it immoral to make a profit now? And when I do do this, I'm careful not to lie--I returned something to WM that did come from them, that I did receieve as a gift, and that I never used and did not have a receipt, and told them that, remaining guilt-free.
Old 10-29-06, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by ltrain
I think the poster meant to say unopened DVD, not opened. Anyway, I've had good luck at Best Buy right after Christmas. Especially if you show up on the 26th. They do take your name and info, but if you're just looking to get something else instead I don't think it's a big deal.
yeah, i did mean unopened, sorry about the confusion

thanks for the suggestions