Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Another ebay scam? Really need some help on this one

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-11-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a quick search and couldn't find any relevant info on this. I just sold an item ($200 subwoofer) with a BIN option and the seller won and paid right away. He overlooked the info regarding payment with credit cards and sent a cc funded payment to my personal account. I declined the payment (did not want to upgrade account) and sent him instructions on where to pay with a cc. What bothers me though is that his address is unconfirmed and his name even sounds a bit conspicuous. This so called Ted Jones has his shipping address as the US India Business Council. I'm guessing that's where he supposedly works. I verified that it is indeed at the Chamber of Commerce and the address is real. He has zero feedback, but his account was created a month ago. I know, I should have changed my selling preferences to exclude members with zero or negative feedback, but completely forgot before listing the item.
Is this a potential scam? Since his address is unconfirmed, I won't be eligible for seller protection. If he's using a stolen credit card, would he be able to do a chargeback? I plan to ship via UPS so I'll have all the tracking info available. I plan to contact the buyer for more clarification, but should I be concerned with this transaction? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the long read.
Old 10-11-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I wouldn't think theives do chargebacks to the credit cards they've stolen.
Old 10-11-06, 03:40 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The thieves wouldn't do chargebacks but the real card holders and the banks would.

Well, tell him you don't normally ship to unconfirmed address due to the loss of sellers protection. Perhaps he may want to confirm his address by calling in his own CC company with his work/alternate address, or to ask him to send you a money order. It will be a hassle to him if he is a legit. You can probably give him an incentive by upgrading the shipping to 3-Day or something, which will cost you a bit of money but you get the peace of mind.

One question: how do you change your selling preferences to exclude members with zero or negative feedback? I don't seem to find this option.
Old 10-11-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eau
One question: how do you change your selling preferences to exclude members with zero or negative feedback? I don't seem to find this option.
I might be wrong, but I believe you set those limitations when you list an item.
Old 10-12-06, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of red flags here (unconfirmed address, zero feedback, newly registered, etc.). I wouldn't send a $200 item in this situation without at least a confirmed address and even then I am not sure. Maybe try calling the bidder on the telephone to confirm his or her location? I think eBay gives you access to contact information as between a seller and a winning bidder.

I'm assuming your listing specified balance-only PayPal payments (i.e. not credit card funded) as the default PayPal icon included in listings implies that credit card payments are ok. This is a controversial area in any event and last I heard, eBay basically frowns upon limitations upon PayPal payments (they want to encourage people to upgrade their PayPal accounts).

If you decline honoring the transaction, you should be prepared to receive negative feedback. Consider it the price of potentially NOT getting burned for $200. You can always enter a reply to the effect that the bidder did not honor the terms of your auction, if that is the case.
Old 10-12-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I would not do it, immediate payment like this is sometimes a sign that they want you to ship right away. Then you get hit with a chargeback.

I nearly got scammed like this before.