Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

My "JackAss Employee @ Circuit City" Story

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-27-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to CC last week to buy a memory card with a 10% coupon I got from a open house from none other than another circuit city store that was opening. I get there and take my memory card to the dude and I give him the coupon. He looks at it and then looks at the memory card. (Just FYI, it was not expired and it was not for any specific store and the memory card qualified as a legitimate purchase in case any were wondering). Well at this time, there was a $20 dollar rebate on the memory card and he gives me this line of crap.

CC Asshat-You can't use this.

me-uhh...why?

CC Asshat-Cuz the memory card is on sale this week and since there's a rebate you won't be able to get it if you use the coupon.

me-uhh...why's that? I've used coupons before when there were rebates.

CC Asshat-Umm, b/c the computer won't take it and it'll screw up your rebate cuz there's already a $20 dollar rebate.

me-*looking at him very doubtfully* Really...cuz I've never had a problem using a coupon before

CC Asshat-Nope, it won't work...

me-okay.....never mind then.

So I came back later and used it successfully with another employee. Moral of the story, there's always a clown like this at all stores so just beware. The only thing I can think of is that he wanted the most amount of commission he could get so he was feeding me this line. end of rant.
Old 09-27-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe he was doing things by the book, or maybe he actually thought it would help you out and didn't want you to lose your rebate... I don't know why everyone thinks when an employee doesn't do everything they like, it's to settle some personal vendetta or something.
Old 09-27-06, 10:14 PM

It is true that on some products they will not give you the rebate if the rebate will give you back more than you paid (other than a penny), so you do have to watch that.

I got hit by that once where I was to get a $20 or so rebate which actually gave me back $5 or $10 (don't remember which) over what I paid. They denied it.
Old 09-28-06, 08:22 AM
Banned

That employee was right sometimes coupons do screw up rebates. He might have been doing the right thing and you might have been trying to exploit something. Either way if you never shopped there again i doubt they would be sad.
Old 09-29-06, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by phatboy
me-*looking at him very doubtfully*

And the CC employee is the "asshat"?
Old 09-29-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what if the other CC employees are the asshats and were disregarding the rules regarding the use of that coupon? I know it happens in retail all the time. Maybe he had been in trouble for doing it before for a customer, but maybe the other people just didn't get caught yet? There are a lot of scenarios out there other than the employee was just an asshat because you couldn't get your way.
Old 09-29-06, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other day I went to buy a mouse at CC that was on a rebate, the shelf was empty, but the computer showed 3 in stock.

The guy went in the back, came back empty handed. I came home, ordered it at circuitcity.com, went back to the store an hour later, picked it up with no problem, went back to the shelf, 2 more were there.
Old 09-29-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the rebate was a CC rebate and not a manufacturer's rebate, you probably wouldn't get the rebate from CC. Hell, even after it went through at the register, you might still not get the rebate. Read the fine print on the store's rebate. I bet it says something about that.
Old 09-29-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by JP5683
The other day I went to buy a mouse at CC that was on a rebate, the shelf was empty, but the computer showed 3 in stock.

The guy went in the back, came back empty handed. I came home, ordered it at circuitcity.com, went back to the store an hour later, picked it up with no problem, went back to the shelf, 2 more were there.
how much gas did you use to get this free mousepad?
Old 09-30-06, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still got the rebates. It was $15 from manufacturer, $5 from Circuit City on a wireless mouse.

I had to come home anyways and change to go to work, I went back on a break.
Old 09-30-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CC just came through for me on a $150 computer rebate that was denied at first. I used a 15% off coupon when I bought the computer, registered online and submitted the rebate receipt provided at checkout. When I was turned down at first, I went back to the information on the forms: nothing on the online registration, but on the store receipt was the statement that the rebate "assumes" you will be paying regular price for the computer. I was pissed, but put off calling because I wasn't in the mood to argue (I was planning to extract my revenge in $150 worth of price matches and early purchases) but I finally called and didn't have to argue. The rebate rep asked me if I had used a coupon and I told him yes and he said my status was updated and I would receive my check in 10 days, which I did.

Last edited by Doc Moonlight; 09-30-06 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-30-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
how much gas did you use to get this free mousepad?
I believe he said mouse, not mouse pad.
Old 10-01-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Trout
I believe he said mouse, not mouse pad.
OK that might have been worth it then depending
Old 10-02-06, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still don't see why the employee was a jackass.
Old 10-02-06, 04:57 AM
Banned

We have a jackass here who works in the local Walmart who knows people come in every Tuesday for the new release dvds and he purposely takes his time putting them out on the shelf. I like to show up at Wallyworld at about 8:30 AM on Tuesday and he has a huge pallet of crap to put out. IMO the new releases should be ready for sale on Tuesday morning. What a piece of crap. Next time Mr Wallyworld Manager is getting a earfull...
Old 10-02-06, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
CC just came through for me on a $150 computer rebate that was denied at first. I used a 15% off coupon when I bought the computer, registered online and submitted the rebate receipt provided at checkout. When I was turned down at first, I went back to the information on the forms: nothing on the online registration, but on the store receipt was the statement that the rebate "assumes" you will be paying regular price for the computer. I was pissed, but put off calling because I wasn't in the mood to argue (I was planning to extract my revenge in $150 worth of price matches and early purchases) but I finally called and didn't have to argue. The rebate rep asked me if I had used a coupon and I told him yes and he said my status was updated and I would receive my check in 10 days, which I did.
I had a similar experience at Best Buy though. Only I didn't use a coupon, it was priced wrong. Meaning the store forgot to take down the tag from earlier and I got it for that price. I got rejected for the rebate, I called and she changed it so it would go through and got the rebate less then 2 weeks later.

It pays to call and just be nice about it.
Old 10-03-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
We have a jackass here who works in the local Walmart who knows people come in every Tuesday for the new release dvds and he purposely takes his time putting them out on the shelf. I like to show up at Wallyworld at about 8:30 AM on Tuesday and he has a huge pallet of crap to put out. IMO the new releases should be ready for sale on Tuesday morning. What a piece of crap. Next time Mr Wallyworld Manager is getting a earfull...
Call 1-800-WAL-MART and report it that way, don't just ask to speak to the manager in-store. If reported via phone will go to the Store Manager's Workstation (PC) and he/she will be REQUIRED to respond to your inquiry within 24 hours OR face disciplinary action from the DM.

It will also ensure that the associate in the Electronics department actually hears that there is an issue from Management.
Old 10-04-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by phatboy
The only thing I can think of is that he wanted the most amount of commission he could get so he was feeding me this line.
If the guys selling high priced items like TV's don't make commissions off of sales, I doubt that this guy was.
Old 10-04-06, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
This is exactly what you will go through if you attempt a coupon and a rebate at Circuit City. It'll likely fly, but you'll have to make at least one phone call.
Old 10-04-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my issue with CC recently is that they never had anyone at the registers at lunch time. instead you have to get in the customer service line and it backs up because they only have one person working. you think they would staff a few more people when they know people will come on their lunch break.