Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Returning a DVD despite throwing everything away for it (Incomplete DVD)?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought The Tick season 1 and saw it pretty quick. It was fine so I threw the plastic, receipt, everyhting away but the DVD. Than I read that this DVD is suppose to come with a lithograph. I didnt get this! I guess it was incomplete.

Since I want this lithograph but threw everything away can I even return it? I want the exact same product, everything is fine with it, its just missing something that I paid for. I want to return it but Im betteing Ill get all this shit from the store as I ALWAYS seem to do when returning something.

Any thoughts? Advice?
Old 09-07-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would contact Sony Pictures and explain the situation. Hopefully they'll send you the missing lithograph cover that you seek.
Old 09-07-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I would contact Sony Pictures and explain the situation. Hopefully they'll send you the missing lithograph cover that you seek.

yeah good luck with that lol. i just went through a similar situation with the bridge on the river kwai le. mine didn't come with some type of insert or booklet that was advertised. even though i still have my reciept, they said there were "no known issues" with the release missing inserts and would not send me one. here is the exact copy of their email reply:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your interest in Sony Pictures Home
Entertainment (SPHE) Products.

There are no known manufacturing issues with this Title. It is Company
Policy to instruct consumers to return all defective/replacement DVDs to the place
of purchase with original receipt and follow the return/exchange policy of
that retail outlet. We do not replace defective products directly. It is the
policy of all of our retailers to replace defective product. Hopefully, you have
not missed the window of time your retailer requires for return. We regret
that SPHE is unable to assist you further.
Old 09-07-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

It can't hurt to try(you won't get the grease if you don't do some squeaking). For example, some people despise the customer service at Columbia House. I, however, have always been able to get problems resolved with relative ease. Obviously, YMMV with any company's customer service.
Old 09-08-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just tell them the DVD didn't work and you tried it on 3 different machines. As long as you only want the same thing & not a different DVD or money back they should exchange it for you. It would probably help if you brought it back in a bag from that store.
Old 09-08-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
Just tell them the DVD didn't work and you tried it on 3 different machines. As long as you only want the same thing & not a different DVD or money back they should exchange it for you. It would probably help if you brought it back in a bag from that store.
Yea thats what I was thinking, but since i threw the plastic away and the additional junk they put on/in DVDs, it looks odd just bringing that in and getting it replaced. Theyd quetion everything
Old 09-21-06, 11:01 PM

Hey, I work at Best Buy in the Orlando area and I'm a Customer Service Rep II. Best Buy's (as well as any other retail store besides Wal-Mart ofcourse [they return anything]) policy on any media items is, absolutely no returns on opened items, unless being exchanged for the same product. This is due to various copyright laws and most stores strongly inforce this.

Seeming how you are exchanging for the same item, this should be no problem for the store. Most people do not save the packaging for items, let alone plastic around a dvd, just the case and disk/s are needed.

As for the no receipt problem; if you paid with a debit/credit card, or used the stores membership program (rewardzone, etc.) then they should be able to look up your receipt. Or, some stores, including bestbuy, use a gender capture process and usually ask for your phone number. This way they might be able to look up your receipt as well. If they can't look it up, chances are they will still swap it out. I know Best Buy's policies on no-receipt on returns is the item has to still be in stock, less than 50$, and you only get three of these returns in your lifetime. It tracks your no-receipt returns by your drivers license # and personal information.

Anyhow, most stores are not as hardcore on their return policy as we, seeming how we are the model store for our district, so bring the dvd back and exchange it. Chances are they will do it.

Hope I helped!
Shane
Old 09-22-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I used to manage a Saturday Matinee store we had our return policy posted at the register. I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like this.

1. Unopened with a receipt you had 30 days to get your money back or exchange the product. Opened with a receipt you had 30 days to exchange the product, if it was defective, for the same item.

2. Unopened without a receipt you had 30 days to exchange the product. Opened without a receipt you had 30 days to exchange the product, if it was defective, for the same item.

My question to them was that if the customer doesn't have a receipt how would we know they bought it within the last 30 days? They said we had to take the customer's word for it because it was more important to make the customer happy then to worry about whether it was more than 30 days.

It seems like a lot of stores don't feel this way anymore so if they give you a hard time ask for the district manager's name & phone number. Most of the time the manager doesn't want the customer to go above store level so they will just do the exchange. Remember complaints don't look good on a manager's review.

Bob
Old 09-23-06, 01:40 AM

Not necessarily; I know at bestbuys that supervisors, managers, seniors, and "sales leaders" could care less about customers going above store level. Whenever anybody asks for a district or corp number, they simply write down "1-888-BestBuy" on a piece of paper and hand it to them.

I'm sure other retail stores, minus walmart, would care more about escalating the situation however.

As for the no receipt thing, like I was saying, the majority of places now can look up reciepts. As for the places that can't, like you said, the customers always right.
Old 09-23-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If all else fails, this is what I do. I buy a new one, take it home, go back the next day with my credit card, and the used one that was either damaged, defective, or incomplete and have them exchange it. Then, a few days later, or that same day, but to a different store, I take the unopened one and return it with a receipt.

It's not really unfair to the company if you did buy it, the damaged/defective/incomplete copy from them in the first place, just sometimes they need a receipt and you don't have it so you have to go around the system.