Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Selling Dvd Help: Dvdplanet Vs. Second Spin

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 02:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post!
I'm looking to hear from people who have sold DVD's to either of these sites. I have never sold to an e-retailer before, and I recently stumbled onto both these sites. DVD Planet seems to offer way more (sometimes up to 50% more than S. Spin), although they only offer site credit, not cash.
What have people's experiences been with these sites?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-26-06, 02:57 PM

i've used both. Both are good, but often times you'd get more $$ is you sell it yorself on amazon. Seconds pin will charge for damaged cases and will reject things for no apparent reason sometimes. Both are good overall, and dvd planet had great prices at times.
Old 08-26-06, 03:21 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the help. The thing is, most of the stuff I'm selling is really low-interest stuff I just want to get rid off, not high-demand stuff that would sell well on ebay or Amazon. I just wish DDD bought stuff for credit!
Old 08-26-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been selling to Second Spin now for about 5 years...mostly CDs....and had good luck. (No experience with DVD Planet.) I recommend checking completed auctions on eBay against the offering price by either online store. I usually have a couple of browser windows open so I can go back and forth between sites easily. I always use Media Mail shipping, which is cheaper but slows down the turnaround time. (It's usually about three weeks between the time I place the "sell" order and the day I receive a check.)
Old 08-26-06, 03:40 PM
Defunct Account

I recently sent my second batch of discs to DVD Planet. Both lots consisted of items that were in low demand but exspensive, European films, cult movies, etc. DVDP offered a lot more than 2nd spin, and even more than I could get on e-bay. It took about a month to get the credit posted to my account, but I set the box off media mail and there were 50+ DVDs. Overall I'm very happy with them, and since I was going to use any money I got buying more DVDs, the credit issue wasn't a problem.
Old 08-26-06, 03:47 PM
Cool New Member

Does DVD Planet offer a slight premium if selling any still-sealed discs?
Old 08-26-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sold a lot of ten DVDs to DVDPawn a few weeks ago for about $80. They sent me the PayPal payment the very day that they recieved the package and they paid for shipping. I checked around, and they offered me more than any of the other sites.
Old 08-26-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I've used SecondSpin for years to off load CDs and a few DVDs. They're pretty fast at mailing out checks. I actually just finished selling off a bunch of old CDs that someone left out in their trash. I made half the cost of a new HDTV I just bought.
Old 08-27-06, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by amd555
i've used both. Both are good, but often times you'd get more $$ is you sell it yorself on amazon. Seconds pin will charge for damaged cases and will reject things for no apparent reason sometimes. Both are good overall, and dvd planet had great prices at times.
When they reject something, do you get it back? Or you are SOL?
Old 08-27-06, 04:07 AM

I need a good place to sell other region DVDs. Ebay hasn't cut it for years so they've just been stacking up.
Old 08-27-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
i don't know if it still holds true, but when i sold cds to them in the past, if they rejected it, you were SOL
Old 08-27-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sold to SecondSpin once, and I got all my rejected CDs back. I'm pretty sure they deducted the return shipping from my check, but that's no big deal.
Old 08-27-06, 10:35 AM

yes, you get them back

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
SO far they have sent me all of "rejected" items back. The reaosns were insane, like broken disk when they actually sent it back with that disc!! ALso, the will reject all BMG music club cds without a regular barcode. What I found works is finding teh upc barcode online(upcdatabase) and priniting it and putting it inplace of the bmg barcodes. Also, if a cd looks fine and gets rejected, include it in your next shipment and they are likely to accept it.
Ps-don't send them broken jewelcaes, they charge $.50 for that.
Old 08-27-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for everyone's comments. I sold to them once, and nothing was rejected, but I am submitting a HUGE order this time, so just wanted to make sure I won't get screwed over. I'll do delivery confirmation, of course...
Old 08-27-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by amd555
i've used both. Both are good, but often times you'd get more $$ is you sell it yorself on amazon.
i have some dvds id like to sell to (some in near perfect condition, some still sealed) but how does one start selling on amazon or ebay when they have no rating? whos going to buy from someone without a rating?
Old 08-27-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by atari2600
i have some dvds id like to sell to (some in near perfect condition, some still sealed) but how does one start selling on amazon or ebay when they have no rating? whos going to buy from someone without a rating?
The best way to build a good rating is to buy cheap stuff and get positive feedback from sellers. By doing just that I have built a 30+ rating...which I can now use to sell some of my old discs.
Old 08-27-06, 12:36 PM
Banned

If there's no rush to sell, just put your DVDs on Craig's List for free for more than these e-tailers will take them for and see who bites.
Old 08-27-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no rush. ill try it.

when putting things on craigs list, should i just have them send the money order first? just like ebay?
Old 08-29-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atari2600
no rush. ill try it.

when putting things on craigs list, should i just have them send the money order first? just like ebay?
Positively! Or sign up for a free Paypal account, linked to your checking account (they must pay you from their checking account to be free). If you want to accept personal checks, tell them you must wait 10-14 days for the check to clear before you ship. You don't want any bounced checks... But that could still result in a fee from your bank, so you might not want to take checks at all...
Old 08-29-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I sold a lot of ten DVDs to DVDPawn a few weeks ago for about $80. They sent me the PayPal payment the very day that they recieved the package and they paid for shipping. I checked around, and they offered me more than any of the other sites.
That looks like a good site, I think I may use it to sell off some of my DVD's.
Old 08-29-06, 07:52 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does dvdplanet.com give you store credit or send you a check, thanks
Old 08-30-06, 04:45 PM

Another option for DVDs the other sites won't take is replay link.com They list the dvds on amazon marketplace and then send you a postage paid mailer addressed to the buyer when it sells. They make money off the difference in the cost of selling items on amazon marketplace with a pro-seller account vs. not. It's pretty convenient.
Old 08-31-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Just want to put in a positive word for Second Spin. Sent discs off on Friday, got an e-mail Tuesday they were received / accepted, Paypal on Wenesday. Putting together another batch to send off shortly. Good experience.
Old 08-31-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Second spin, for a TWEC company, has absolutely stellar customer service.
Old 09-10-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just put together a quote on DVDPlanet last night that involves over 100 DVD's. I'm going to use the credit to get some HD-DVD releases.

How big of a package can or should you create for media mail? Should I box up that many discs in one container or split it up into smaller ones?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.