Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

cheap R1 retailer for orders from europe?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-28-06, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i haven't ordered many R1 dvds over the last year or so and now a 'backlog' has accumulated.

since dvdsoon has turned into a fiasko, i am currently looking for a R1 store that fills these criteria:

- must have great prices

- delivery to europe must be free or as cheap as possible

- must have great selection

- some form of customer service must be available

i wish i could order everything from cdwow, since they ship from within europe - the 'customs-gestappo' here is all over anything that's valued higher than 22 ($27,7).
but cdwow has a very limited selection and are sometimes quite expensive.

i've looked for a viable alternative and stumbled upon DVD Empire. their prices are great but their shipping is waaaay to expensive ($9 plus $2,65 for each item).

does anyone know an alternative?
Old 06-28-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to check out dvdpacific.com - I've often seen them mentioned favorably by other non-U.S. shoppers.
Old 06-28-06, 02:57 PM

thanks!

they look like a good candidate to fill my R1 needs
Old 06-28-06, 09:53 PM

Second for DVD Pacific
And you can choose the international surface shipping. Some UK users said it's about 1-2 week to get the package. Just slightly slower than the airmail.
Old 06-29-06, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by p h a n a t | c
i wish i could order everything from cdwow, since they ship from within europe - the 'customs-gestappo' here is all over anything that's valued higher than 22 ($27,7).
but cdwow has a very limited selection and are sometimes quite expensive.

i've looked for a viable alternative and stumbled upon DVD Empire. their prices are great but their shipping is waaaay to expensive ($9 plus $2,65 for each item).

does anyone know an alternative?
Hi there, phanatic.
As a fellow European I can relate to your concerns about the Gestapo types working at our customs departments. I see the forum users here recommend dvdpacific as a good option to the now dysfunctional dvdsoon. I have to agree, it's just that their surface shipping can be way too slow. Expect to wait 3-4 weeks sometimes for your orders to arrive. We were discussing on another forum whether they use rowing boats over the Atlantic. deepdiscountdvd on the other hand, are superfast in shipping to Europe. Usually your order arrives after 4-7 business days. Both e-tailers are cheap with a huge selection of dvd's. From personal experience I'd say dvdpacific's customer service is faster and better than that of deepdiscount.

Good luck in ordering!

Last edited by superbura; 06-29-06 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by superbura
I see the forum users here recommend dvdpacific as a good option to the now dysfunctional dvdsoon. I have to agree, it's just that their surface shipping can be way too slow. Expect to wait 3-4 weeks sometimes for your orders to arrive.
In my experience (after reading the experience of UK users in the other forum), I tried the surface mail from DVD Pacific. It took only 12 days to arrive, from FL -- the east cost of US -- to Pacific Asia (definitely farther than traveling over Altantic Ocen). It was really fast! Just the same time as DDD airmail. I was really surprised.

Since DDD and DVDPacific have different ways to charge shipping, which is cheaper depends on the unit price of DVD and the number of DVDs ordered.
Old 06-30-06, 03:24 AM

thanks for the input everybody!

i checked out DDD and their prices are the same or slightly higher than dvdpacific and their shipping is more expensive, too.
but it's good to have a backup solution and IIRC they have pretty popular sales every now and then.

oh, and slow shipping is not really an issue with me, since i usually have a knee-high stack of unwatched dvds around.

Last edited by p h a n a t | c; 06-30-06 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by p h a n a t | c
thanks for the input everybody!

i checked out DDD and their prices are the same or slightly higher than dvdpacific and their shipping is more expensive, too.
but it's good to have a backup solution and IIRC they have pretty popular sales every now and then.

oh, and slow shipping is not really an issue with me, since i usually have a knee-high stack of unwatched dvds around.
Yes, normally DDD have slightly higher prices. But very often they also have promotions and discounts by studios, which makes them far cheaper than dvdpacific at the time of the promotions - which they have very frequently. I used to swear by dvdpacific, but got a bit fed up with their superslow shipping. If you take into consideration that DDD use a flat rate shipping system, many times you'll find that the total shipping costs will be less than that of dvdpacific, because dvdpacific base their shipping on number of items (dvd discs) in your order. Especially when you order box sets you'll notice the difference in shipping costs. You mentioned the semiannual sales from DDD, yes they're a real moneysaver. But this year also dvdpacific had a summer sale which lasted about 2 weeks. It was a pleasant surprise
Last thing I could mention is that DDD always state the exact amount of the order on the package. Dvdpacific don't, which can lead to a delay, since the Gestapo types automatically halt their packages for inspection.
Old 07-06-06, 08:30 AM

i tried registering at dvdpacific.com - you have to enter your credit card info for that. then you are supposed to get an email with a temporary login.
well, i never got my email and sent them two emails asking to clear this matter up.
they didn't bother to respond, so obviously they don't want my business.

it seems DDD is my only option now.
Old 07-06-06, 12:30 PM

I think maybe a problem with your e-mail or spam filters perhaps as I deal with DVD Pacific a lot and have e-mail responses generally within minutes. Don't think I have ever waited longer than 24 hours for a response. perhaps try giving them a call or checking your spam folders.
Old 07-07-06, 02:29 AM

nope, i don't even have a spamfilter here at the office (and i hardly get any spam)
i'll give them one more chance and use a different email even though i'm quite certain that's not the problem.
Old 07-07-06, 06:53 AM

The spam filter at your work might be at the mail server like mine is. This does stop a lot of mail.
Old 07-07-06, 09:35 AM

well, fook mi, it was my email server...
*scatcheshead*

dvdpacific sorted it out for me a few minutes ago... FAST customer service, when the emails DO get through!
Old 07-09-06, 02:00 PM

Glad has worked out for you, as I mentioned prior in my experience their customer service is first class.